Dang it's cold out

chewy tobacco

Tonight is the first night since christmas that i have said *^^% this it's way too cold for this tonight. Now I am wondering what the ramifications of running a Lipo battery in minus 30 celsius could be. Although i find when my battery indicator says i'm tapped, if i bring it inside it returns to around storage capacity. Maybe it's a good thing??

running a 1cell lipo 500mah on a hubsan h107d fpv

It sure is cold. Especially here in Ottawa right now:

Untitled2.jpg

(Yes I know that's from yesterday)

Bricks

Master member
I fly my HufsanX104D FPV and my Cub S all winter long both with 1C 500mah battery flight times are shorter but that is to be expected. Me personally have not a battery issue due to cold weather I was just out flying my 250 FPV 3S quad it was 3 degrees F flight times are shorter but hey if I waited for perfect 45 degree F+ weather I would only be able to fly 6 months of the year.

BobK

Banned
I fly all the way down to -20F without a mitt, it isn't bad if the wind isn't blowing. Many people make something to keep their batteries warm, the cold doesn't bother them.

chewy tobacco

Yeah they do generate some heat as they discharge too. If i was smart i could link some kinda physics based pie chart. but that sounds like terrible use of a pie.

BobK

Banned
38F and sunny forecast here tomorrow, I will be out on a frozen lake fishing in a t-shirt lol

Jimmyp

I fly in the cold as well. We must when we live in Canada.
I keep my batteries in an inside pocket and only take them out at the field when I'm about to fly the Plane/multi rotor. Once you start drawing current it will warm itself to some extent. I've been doing it for 3 years now with no ill effect on the batteries. The flight time will be somewhat reduced. When done flying put them back in your pocket to keep warm until back indoors.