Degrees Vrs Inches

00redmd

How do you figure degrees into inches? Some if now all of the Scratch builds show deflection in degrees not inches. For example "20 degrees deflection" What would that be converted to inches measurement?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
math1.gif

Angle A would be the 20 degrees. And side c would be length of the control surface.
Side a would be the inches that you want to solve for.
(Sin A) * c = a

I think I did that right.

eagle4

unfortunately degrees and inches are not measuring the same thing. if you want to work out how many inches up the tip of your control surfaces has to move, you need to break out your highschool maths. pythagoras' theorem.

you get a right angled triangle, where the hypotenuse is the length of your control surface, the adjacent angle is 20, and you want to find the opposite side....

assuming your control surface is 2 inches this means your deflection is roughly 0.684 of an inch.

or you could just get a protractor and measure it.

or just guess. we can roughly work out what 45 degrees is, just do half of that ;)

oatman

Side-angle-side
Angle-side-angle

Ah, I remember those days...

Yes I've been frustrated with the apples to oranges non-standard way of reporting info... I particularly love when people just give the amount of expo and no other info in response... Come on man .... Trillions and trillions of connections I that noodle... Use one or two!

Each way of measuring throws has merits and trade offs... I've always thought that linear distance is most useful in general as anyone will know for a given model what an inch is ... Unfortunately an inch of throw for one model is utterly meaningless compared to one inch on another model without other info... Whereas 10 degrees is 10 degrees regardless of model ... But pretty abstract as it's hard to easily apply it without ... Other info... Though you do get good at estimating as its pretty easy to approximate 45 or 90 degrees and just go from there... But I digress...

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm a lazy old man so I just use a protractor and a straight edge. I have even used a watch with the hands on it. 6 degrees for each min.

whiskeyjack

Me too Ron,

Forget how many inches up gives you the correct angle. Simply make up a guage from a scrap piece of foam. The trick is to have a square corner on one end, with the sqaure end to your left measure out to the right, along the bottom of the foam to what ever length you want your guage to be, place a protractor at that point, mark the angle, cut back to the left until you run off the foam.
You can make as many guages as you need at common angles. Place the guage under the control surface and set the angle. (Make sure the measuring surface is flat and your wing, horizontal stab....is flat against the surface)
The same technique can be used to set dihedral or even polyhedral. Good luck with your builds OOredmd, WJ.

kristopherkane

Hijacking this thread...

What is the method to change the maximum rate of deflection? It seems that I am missing something.... I know that you can alter the push rod hole position on the servo arms and the control horns but is there something else? I have a Spektrum 5e which gives me a dual rate option of 100% or 70% throw but there must be something else people are using.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Hijacking this thread...

What is the method to change the maximum rate of deflection? It seems that I am missing something.... I know that you can alter the push rod hole position on the servo arms and the control horns but is there something else? I have a Spektrum 5e which gives me a dual rate option of 100% or 70% throw but there must be something else people are using.

I think that's pretty much it. Usually you can make the dual rate throws set at whatever you want. A lot of people go with 50% and 100% just as a rule of thumb until you know what's best for that airframe.

I know some control horns stick up further from the control surface than others. But the higher up the push rod is from the control surface, the less throw you have. Then of course the further the push rod is from the center of the servo the more throw you have.

Most well designed planes will have just about the right amount of control surface. But if you are scratch building your own design and want more throws for that plane, you could always add more control surface to it. The longer the control surface is, the more deflection you get.