Delamination

Alanruss

I have had problems with delamination of the water resistant board during assembly and every day handling. I have tried the Dollar Tree board and had the same problem. The Borden board does not have this problem, but weighs a ton. I have tried several things to solve this problem. Coating the exposed edges with hot difficult and was a an ugly mess. Next I tried super glue and ended up with my fingers stuck to every thing. What I believe solved the problem was to paint all exposed edges with carpenters glue with 25% water. Don't paint surfaces that will be hot glued. The solution soaks into the foam and hardens it. There is no delamination during assembly and usual handling. It is easy to wipe off runs, and dries clear. Since the foam absorbs the glue, it is far more ridged and adds strength and almost no weight. Try this out and let me know what you think.

donalson

as I recall there was a video with some tips along these lines... the guy lived in FL so as I recall he preferred to use gorilla white glue, he cut a notch in a spare bit of foam board, run a bead of glue along the exposed foam sides and then run the notched foam board along to clean it up... I'll see if I can find the video.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For a very long time I have been sealing the FB edges with clear craft glue that dries to handle in a matter of minutes. Once assembled I seal all of the exposed paper with wipe on poly varnish.

As for the use of white glue I have in the past coated slab wings, (single sheet of FB with no folds, bends, or spar), with white glue and when dry just painted them. They were very strong but extremely rigid. In the event of a crash the FB wings seemed to shatter upon impact, (well actually break into large pieces), and the foam compression and folding was lost.

Additionally you can cut out the pieces with a border margin, (10mm), and remove the foam from the border margin and wrap the paper over the exposed edge and glue in place. When later sealed with poly varnish it makes a strong and water proof edge on vertical and horizontal fins.

Just a few things that work here!

Have fun!

Gazoo

I built a cub and used a similar method. I used a clothes iron to round out (melt) the edges of the foam board where it was cut. Then, after assembly, I "painted" the edges that were rounded with white glue. It has not delaminated on me yet. It does make the edges very...um...crispy? A bump can crack it instead of just wrinkle the foam board. It looks super nice though. Well...I think so anyway.

FYI, the control surfaces are still sealed with hot glue.
100.JPG

Alanruss

Seems I have spent a lot of time on a problem that is solved. I thank y'all for your input. I just did not know where to look.