Delta Ray 2nd plane

I have mastered the champ rtf and want to move to something more advanced. Is the Delta Ray a good choice?!? Will the differential thrust make up for there being no rudder? Please let me know what you think!😀 As always, thanks for reading!

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Like I told you in another thread, yeah, I think so. You do need some room to land it. How big is your flying field?

nb87

Greetings #FPV, I just got a Delta Ray myself. It's my first plane and first time flying. My wife bought it for me for my birthday:)

Anyhow, the first day that I took it out to fly was a baseball field surrounded by trees that was around 350ft x 350ft. I took off with about 15mph of wind. I had the SAFE system in mode 0 on my controller: beginner mode. I also had the rates set to low. The moment I took off I knew that I should've followed the directions. The manual says to fly in an open area with a diameter of 600ft or more and in winds from 0-7mph. I barely got the plane back after the first flight. I took off into the wind and as soon as I banked left to attempt a turn the wind caught me and took the plane quite a ways away. With the low throws and beginner mode set, I didn't have enough control of the plane to bring it back. Finally the wind turned and started to bring the plane back to me. I landed it as quickly as possible! My second day flying, I decided not to be so crazy. I found an abandoned airfield not too far from where I live. I still had about 12mph of wind, but my area to fly in was about 1280x7000. There I had a blast. I did about 20 successful takeoffs and landings. By the second flight I felt comfortable to switch to intermediate and experienced modes—loops, rolls, no problem with the plane. If you get it, you'll enjoy it! Just make sure you've got enough room.

Blessings to you!
Nathan

fish

I have a Mini popwing If I see afield that is 300 ft by 300 ft I WALK. the SCS and the Champ are great for that tight a spot. I do not thin kI can recommend the Mini popwing but it is a different plane that you can 100% crash full throttle and bounce back with no break over and over again. But learning a new plane the Sport cub S is a 4 ch one that may advance you slowly up the ladder first

dgrigor02

We purchased a delta ray and like others have said our local park is just too small and with beginner mode it's just to nerve racking. There are larger fields nearby but they are always busy with soccer or softball so never able to fly it.

I would stick with something smaller. T28 micro is really fun plane and quite a step up from champ.

But honestly, really should look into scratch building from some micro mini plans here but would likely want to upgrade from a rtf controller so you can fine tune the throws etc. Spitfire at 60% size is so awesome and fun to fly as ever bit as good as the T28 micro IMO. Even better is the less stress about trashing a plane since you can rebuild/repair.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
Leave the Delta-Ray on the shelf if there's anything over 2 mph of wind! Also skip over the beginner mode and at least run intermediate to high rates so you have enough control to maneuver the dumb thing! I gave mine away and it's been arrowed in so many times that it looks like a beyond thunder dome wreck but they still manage to fly it! They don't complain too much about the crashes because it was free but also I can see their frustration with the goofy thing, they are just too cheap to buy something else right now....In my estimation, it has way too much wing area and not nearly enough power to handle even the lightest breezes! Best advice I can offer is to not buy one in the first place! If you're a complete noob, start with the ft tiny trainer or if you're determined to go for over the counter first planes, save your pennies for a Sensi or an Aprentice S and have a great trainer that will grow with your confidence level. Both are amazing and very easy to fly!

I strongly caution you against getting the Delta Ray. It was my first plane and I quickly regretted getting it. It is simply too weak. Even if the wind is calm near the ground, chances are that it's blowing higher up. You need a very wide open space to fly it since it gets kicked around by every little puff of air. You will also need a lot of space for take-off since it doesn't climb all that well - the brushed motors don't give it much to work with.

Recently, however, I have found that there is a much bigger issue with the Delta Ray: the parts are of very low quality, will quickly fall apart, and cannot be upgraded without giving the entire aircraft a thorough gutting. The brushed motors cannot even be swapped for other brushed motors without jeapordizing the integrated Rx/ESC/stabilizer. And even if you only fly stock like I have, you will likely find (like many of us) that the integrated board will fry anyway on its own. When the board goes, it will probably take at least one motor with it.

I'm not really sure what HobbyZone was thinking when they put this plane on the market, but it doesn't do what it promises to on the box. Now I'm waiting to hear back from Horizon to find out if they are going to honor what they said about the one year warranty on parts...

Not too long ago, I had a friend who wanted to learn how to fly. She got a Delta Ray and was excited to take it out. Even on beginner mode and all, she really struggled and quickly became frustrated because it couldn't handle even a slight breeze. She barely missed several trees because the plane could not turn into the wind, kept pitching up and then turning to the side when she maxed the throttle, and then would rocket away when it turned downwind. When trying to land, the plane became very unstable since it was flying into the wind, but kept wanting to turn off to the side since it has so little power. One little gust finally did turn it to the side and it smashed into the trunk of a large tree - the nose was sheared off and there were little bits of foam everywhere. I glued it back together for her and encouraged her to try again with less wind, but I could tell she really wasn't having fun having to constantly fight the plane. After a few attempts, she said she was done and has no desire to fly anymore. Seems like the exact opposite of what a good beginner plane should be. And how much skill are you going to build with a three-channel elevon and differential twin prop anyway?

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
We purchased a delta ray and like others have said our local park is just too small and with beginner mode it's just to nerve racking. There are larger fields nearby but they are always busy with soccer or softball so never able to fly it.

I would stick with something smaller. T28 micro is really fun plane and quite a step up from champ.

But honestly, really should look into scratch building from some micro mini plans here but would likely want to upgrade from a rtf controller so you can fine tune the throws etc. Spitfire at 60% size is so awesome and fun to fly as ever bit as good as the T28 micro IMO. Even better is the less stress about trashing a plane since you can rebuild/repair.

I completely agree um t 28 is a great flyer but crashing a um is a terrible feeling cause the nose or wing explodes and that's a lot of work but with scratch building you can trash the airframe for a new one for a few dollars
hope this helps
Airhawk

Capt_Beavis

Flying in wind is always tricky, especially for noobs. I regularly fly the Delta Ray in 20+ mph winds though. Use high rates in beginner mode and add rudder for nice tight turns. Once you get used to the plane you will be able to fly at the ball field. I flying in some fairly cramped spots now.

the plane is generally good in beginner mode in the wind. I always launch and usually land in beginner mode.

Saying that any UM especially a 1S without AS3X will fly better than a Delta Ray defies reason. I have flown a UM T-28 and a Delta Ray back to back in windy conditions and there was no comparison. The T-28 was rising and falling 4+ft in the gusts.

But I don't know any plane in its size of smaller that will handle wind better. Mike, maybe you got a bad gyro calibration or your battery was too far back. It will balloon a bit but nothing that a touch of upstick won't cure.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
You have to pick wind resistant or small. The delta can be a great wind flyer but in a small area the delta can be hard but the delta ray is an amazing plane if you have the proper space .

krinaman

Never flown a delta ray so I really can't comment on it. But it seems people either love it or hate it.

If you have limited area you might want to consider something like the UMX Pitts. It gets you into 4 channel and can do all the basic aerobatics. It's a decent step up from a champ but flies really nice and can fly slow.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
20+ mph winds with a Ray? NO WAY!

Flying in wind is always tricky, especially for noobs. I regularly fly the Delta Ray in 20+ mph winds though.]

I'm throwing the BS flag! 20 mph winds with a Delta Ray??? NOPE! You never did OR you never did it more than once!

I'm sorry but I actually use my anemometer and KNOW what wind speed I'm flying in.

The delta ray is just too much of a kite and not enough of an aircraft.

I wouldn't attempt to fly my 22 lb. 110" Pilatus Porter in 20 mph wind!

Sorry, not buying it, Beav.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Flying in wind is always tricky, especially for noobs. I regularly fly the Delta Ray in 20+ mph winds though.]

I'm throwing the BS flag! 20 mph winds with a Delta Ray??? NOPE! You never did OR you never did it more than once!

I'm sorry but I actually use my anemometer and KNOW what wind speed I'm flying in.

The delta ray is just too much of a kite and not enough of an aircraft.

I wouldn't attempt to fly my 22 lb. 110" Pilatus Porter in 20 mph wind!

Sorry, not buying it, Beav.

look im sorry to say this but that was a bit harsh. I think he was just estimating. look im not siding with anyone but that was just a bit to harsh

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
sometimes "harsh" is what's required

No apologies from me.

I was just getting a bit tired of people defending a POS airplane and being very loose with the truth.

I made my point.

I really am a nice guy but I have very little tolerance for crap.

I could have stayed out of it but aren't forums for people who actually wish to learn something?

Capt_Beavis

I am just going by the weather reports. I have a few witnesses for me flying in strong winds. I will fly my delta ray in winds that I wouldn't fly any UMX in. I have had mine kite before but a little elevator does the trick.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
No apologies from me.

I was just getting a bit tired of people defending a POS airplane and being very loose with the truth.

I made my point.

I really am a nice guy but I have very little tolerance for crap.

I could have stayed out of it but aren't forums for people who actually wish to learn something?

sir i understand your point and i really do believe your a nice guys but i was just making sure that we don't start a feud

Just for the record, don't expect any help from Horizon Hobby if one of the parts should fail, regardless of whether or not it has been less than a year and should still be under warranty. This is the response (word for word) I received from them when I notified them of the integrated board failure:

The receiver/ESC unit is damaged anytime the motor immediately runs when the battery is connected. It may have gotten damaged from a previous crash or had a current load/spike and still operate and fail later during use. Here is a link for the part:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/delta-ray-replacement-receiver-esc-unit-spma3160

I interpret this as "Sucks for you. We don't care. Buy a new one." No questions about anything, no offer to even take a look at it, and not a word related to any assistance whatsoever.

I'm done with Horizon Hobby completely now.

Flying in wind is always tricky, especially for noobs. I regularly fly the Delta Ray in 20+ mph winds though. Use high rates in beginner mode and add rudder for nice tight turns. Once you get used to the plane you will be able to fly at the ball field. I flying in some fairly cramped spots now. the plane is generally good in beginner mode in the wind. I always launch and usually land in beginner mode. Saying that any UM especially a 1S without AS3X will fly better than a Delta Ray defies reason. I have flown a UM T-28 and a Delta Ray back to back in windy conditions and there was no comparison. The T-28 was rising and falling 4+ft in the gusts. But I don't know any plane in its size of smaller that will handle wind better. Mike, maybe you got a bad gyro calibration or your battery was too far back. It will balloon a bit but nothing that a touch of upstick won't cure.

It was my friend who was flying in the statement I provided before, although I do also own this plane. The plane will definitely fly in high winds - it's controlling that is the issue. I live where winds of 10-20 mph blow constantly at all times except for the early morning. Given that my friend was a beginner who no flying experience, we had to go out early when the winds were only about 5 mph. As soon as things started to heat up and the wind started to blow, she started having a lot of issues with control and would have to land. Her plane was straight out of the box, and I tried flying it a couple of times - there was nothing out of the ordinary about the plane compared to how my own DR was when it was new.

As for my own experiences with the DR, I did try flying it in 20 mph winds. It made little to no headway unless it was at full throttle, with the throttle trim all the way up, with the nose pointed slightly down so that it could move forward without catching any lift and getting pushed back. It was a constant fight and maneuverability was so limited that it wasn't enjoyable at all. The plane constantly wanted to veer off to one side or the other, and as soon as it turned it would start rocketing backwards. Flying downwind the thing soared, but not in a good way. On one of the two occasions when I tried flying in windy conditions, the wind caught the plane and it quickly flew out of sight. Some lady picked it up, drove around until she saw a guy holding a transmitter, and gave it back to me saying it landed in the middle of the street in front of her house. This meant that the plane left a fairly large park and then flew over another 2-3 blocks before hitting the asphalt.

Needless to say, this was dangerous, I was lucky I didn't hurt someone or something, and I never tried flying it in any wind over 10 mph ever again. A beginner should only try to fly the plane in dead calm, and then be very cautious about flying in anything over 5 mph even after their skills have improved. An "average" flyer cannot handle the plane safely in even moderate wind due to the weak brushed motors and the plane's large surface area - they may be able to get it up and back down in one piece, but at the risk of it taking off and causing damage. Wind is unpredictable: as altitude increases it blows harder and is more vulnerable to gusts that can easily overpower the DR.

By the way, I just want to clarify for those less familiar with this plane that the DR doesn't have rudder. It has differentials which can be used to adjust the yaw, but this means that one of the weak motors is going to have even less power. This has a much different result than one would expect from a plane with an actual rudder, especially since the DR's brushed motors already provide limited thrust.

If knew before what I know now about the quality of the integrated board and motors, I never would have bought the thing in the first place. Given the poor quality, the safety risk is even higher: not only to you have to worry about wind overpowering the plane, but you have to worry about something randomly failing without warning for no apparent reason. If the same friend from the previous message and above would have asked me about the DR before getting it, I would have told her to get something else. That's the same advice I'm giving here based on her experiences and my own firsthand experiences with the plane.

Now, I can also add Horizon Hobby to the long list of reasons not to bother with this plane.

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

My plane is reaching 6mo with and I probably put 6-7 batteries through it on a typical week. If my motors and ESC bust I am not going to be happy. Especially if I am down wind with my Mobius on the plane. I wonder if belly landings are shortening the lives of the motors?

I have only had problems in wind twice. Both times were much higher than I would normally fly. One of them storm gusts hit after I launched. In that event I turned down wind to prepare to land and once headed down wind the plane wouldn't respond. I had to switch to expert mode. and bring it back. It did come down pretty hard but no damage. The other it was making some forward headway and then suddenly decided it was time to land. I think the nose cone broke off that time but that was all.