Delta Ray Supersized!

FlyGonz

Hello everyone!

I have been searching high and low for any upgrades and/or modifications to the Delta Ray. I have already done a brushless upgrade to it, as its the only upgrade/mod I have found. What I really want to do now is MAKE IT BIGGER! I have been looking at all the dollar tree foam board projects online and all the cool things you can do. I have been trying to figure out a way to either add shaped foam to the Delta Ray fuselage or just build an entirely new airframe to resemble it.

If anyone has plans or ideas as to how I can make my Delta Ray bigger, or how to build a scratch one easy, please let me know. I should also mention that I am new to the hobby and have experience flying but not much when it comes to building/moding. Any tips or advice is welcome.

P.S. I saw how Flite Test builds their planes, folding wings etc., and I am not a fan of that method. Metal Aviation on Facebook uses a stacking then cutting the foam method, which I think may be easier.

The FT methods are quite good. With stacking, you end up up with more weight because you have no void area. The FT designs use the shapes to help make the structure rigid And still allow a lot of void space to keep it light. You might look at some of the FT techniques and see if they would be adaptable to a larger delta ray-ish type plane. For that matter, the Versa wing is a good flying wing.

FlyGonz

I was thinking about 52 inch wingspan-ish as opposed tot he standard 32inch. I also thought of extending the length of fuselage by about 5-7 inches.

With regards to stacking, I was actually looking for more weight overall because of the upgraded brushless, it makes the plane struggle with the light weight design. I also want something more rigid that can fair better in the wind.

BrendanD

Well here is a Delta wing I built. It has a 60 wingspan and a 40 inch chord. I know you said that you do not like the fold over method, but I'd have to agree with the other response that it might get too heavy. And mine goes to show that the fold over method can be strong enough. As is, mine weighs like 6.5 pounds. Granted there is some expanding foam in the leading edge, but if the rest of the plane was not hollow it would be significantly heavier. Anyways, good luck with your build. I look forward to seeing it as there are not too many big Delta's with real airfoils out there. 2016-06-18 00.03.24.jpg

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the FT forums flygonz! Have a look at the ft kraken or blunt nose versa wing for aircraft that are similar to the Delta ray. The kraken, in particular resembles the dr with the twin tractor motors and landing gear setup.

Phoenix Defender Group

Unmanned System Developer
So as far as a large flying wing like the delta ray the best way is using the foam board building techniques and the designs that makattack mentioned. Personally I feel the stacking is a bad idea like roversgonemad said. If I build a wing I crease in very small areas and then run it back and forth across the edge of a smooth table to give it a curve instead of the kind of block interval folding the FT does. As far as actually expanding the delta ray, I wouldn't try that it could compromise the structural integrity, id really go for a scratch build.

Good luck with your project!