DISCUSSION ON BUILDING NEW GENERATION PLANES

L Edge

Master member
What happens if you were to use only one airleron control surface for each wing....
Ie . When rolling left only the left airleron moves up this will create more drag on the wing so will slow it down while also rolling.... Just a theory.....

It does work in practice--use to race Cox Td 049. To reduce overall drag, used only 1 aileron(go fast, turn left) until they noticed that. You balanced the other wing dynamically so in the turn you did not get a nose up or down in the turn. Asked to go back to both so to even out playing field.

L Edge

Master member
"The X-36 was unstable in both pitch and yaw axes, so an advanced digital fly-by-wire control system was used to provide stability. " yep.

What I am trying to get across is there a system that might help in designing gen 6 planes or planes like the B1 or X-47B to scale (rudderless) that are already flying. Has anyone seen a B1 designed and flying made out of foam and to scale in this group?

Be the first to design and fly something rudderless or 6th gen with plans to scale and that will be a hot item. It will take an AS3X programable gyro system with mixing to get it to work.

I already explored the X-36 before, guess I will have to mount the AS3X system and to see if it resolves the yaw problem. Then someone could duplicate a good scale model with CAD.

With the 12 bladed 70 mm EDF, it would go like h--l straight, but crash in turns.

x-36.JPG

skymaster

Elite member
we can look at airplanes of the 1900-1920... they made it as "a bird" .. big tailsurfaces horizontal, but very small vertical fins.. soo......

But they had enough problem to get enough power to be up in air... controling by sharp turns eg.. wasnt in the iedeas then...
Ill bet that if they had some of the materials that we have today and if they made the plane less heavy this beauties would have taken off .

skymaster

Elite member
Has any one tried chopping the tail off of one of their planes to see what happens? and what you are looking for is for a plane that can make a turn without the tail right. mmmmm have a few ideas.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
All of you guys are spouting techno-babble and I'm here wondering how in the world do flying wings fly then? Couldnt we just mod one of those? Also people have done tests with the umx ultrix without the vertical fins and safe on. Had some issues but flew okay and the flatspins got even better.

foamboardflyer

It is my personal opinion that a plane can in now way turn effectively whilst its wings are laying perfectly flat to the oncoming air.
You could use some kind of giro (like the spectrum AS3X) and differential thrust and you could turn with the wing “staying flat”

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It is my personal opinion that a plane can in now way turn effectively whilst its wings are laying perfectly flat to the oncoming air.
It isn’t as effective as a normal turn, but planes can definitely steer effectively with the wings level. Most of the time when I fly my crack yak I actually do flat turns at low speeds. If you roll a plane 90 degrees and use elevator to turn, it is similar to using only rudder except the rudder is smaller than elevator.