DIY 64mm EDF F-117 Nighthawk Maiden Success

ThatPolishHotdog

Made this plane from the FF-117 Nighthawk V2 plans from RC Foam Fighters (heavily modified of course). I wish I had some sort of build guide for those who want plans but I really just eyeballed it with what I know and made it. If anyone wants, I could post in-depth photos of the build if wanted.

It is definitely FAR from a gentle flyer and trying to control it is like wrestling a slippery beaver covered in mineral oil on a slipping slide that's balancing on a tightrope, but it looks awesome and so scale in the air. It's not efficient but it is fast and I think (assuming I don't crash it) that this will be a common flyer in my fleet.

Enjoy!

Burnhard

This looks awesome! Congratulations to an awesome build. I still have not dared to launch mine.

Quick question, in relation to the thrust/ weight ratio, when you hold yours vertically, is there enough thrust to lift it?

ThatPolishHotdog

This looks awesome! Congratulations to an awesome build. I still have not dared to launch mine.

Quick question, in relation to the thrust/ weight ratio, when you hold yours vertically, is there enough thrust to lift it?
Thank you! It does not have 1:1 unfortunately. I tried using a scale to measure thrust but it just didn't want to read the amount. Since publishing the video, I have made major adjustments to the intakes to allow for more airflow and from the "holding it up" test, it has more power, so I will probably make an update on that and see if I can get specific numbers.

I might also try to modify the exhaust as well but it is very difficult since the rest of the plane is basically glued shut.

One thing to note, when I did the vertical thrust tests, I was at 5,000 feet altitude, but the maiden was at a park at 2,000 feet density altitude. Hopefully the performance increase is enough!

ThatPolishHotdog

It does look really cool!!! Maybe reduce the throws and add some expo. That should quite it down - and maybe last longer. Congrats!!
I can't reduce throws because it reallllly needs that extra control surface area and I'm not a huge fan of expo so I did add it to a switch that I'll test next flight.

Burnhard

Thank you! It does not have 1:1 unfortunately. I tried using a scale to measure thrust but it just didn't want to read the amount. Since publishing the video, I have made major adjustments to the intakes to allow for more airflow and from the "holding it up" test, it has more power, so I will probably make an update on that and see if I can get specific numbers.

I might also try to modify the exhaust as well but it is very difficult since the rest of the plane is basically glued shut.

One thing to note, when I did the vertical thrust tests, I was at 5,000 feet altitude, but the maiden was at a park at 2,000 feet density altitude. Hopefully the performance increase is enough!
Well, it’s also called a flying brick so I would not expect any arobatic wonders. Though, your roll rate looks quite high.

On the thrust, when I hold my Viggen upright, on full speed, it slightly pushes upwards. Does not happen with my F117. Altitude where I live is about 120meters (360 feet?).

Anyhow great build you have there. Quite an eye catcher.

ThatPolishHotdog

Well, it’s also called a flying brick so I would not expect any arobatic wonders. Though, your roll rate looks quite high.

On the thrust, when I hold my Viggen upright, on full speed, it slightly pushes upwards. Does not happen with my F117. Altitude where I live is about 120meters (360 feet?).

Anyhow great build you have there. Quite an eye catcher.
Yeah, when I flew I was at a density altitude of about 2,000 feet, and where I live the density altitude is regularly 6,000 feet. Hopefully, I will be traveling this Summer to places of lower DA's and I can test it there.