Do You Think You can land an Airliner?

Timmy

Legendary member
You know how in movies, if an airplane pilot falls unconscious or something, they go into the cabin and ask if anyone is a pilot? If that happened in real life, would you raise your hand? Do you think you would be able to land the plane? I was thinking about this last night as I was going to sleep and I think, as long as I know where all the important buttons are, there is a 25% chance that I would land the plane successfully. Oh yeah, and we are assuming you get no help from ATC...cuz reasons.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
There have been several shows where this was tested in simulators. They even tested people that knew nothing about flight. I've been flying simulators 4/5 of my life, fly FPV all the time, and have been hands on in several small aircraft (Cessna Cardinal, 414, and a stick/Rudder glider) so I'd probably have a high probability of landing with help.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Piotrsko

Master member
The trick would be finding the switch that turns on the CAT 3 landing equipment then programming the nearest airport that has an appropriate runway. Landing is easy, stopping it afterwards becomes the issue

How do you know the airplane landed itself? No bounces on touchdown.

clolsonus

I've landed a full motion A320 sim (old NATCO facility in Mpls) twice. First one was on the concrete but no awards, the 2nd one was as good as any I've seen ... but it was perfect weather conditions, no faults. In a real world situation, numerous things would have had to go very badly and very unexpectedly for a passenger to have to step in. You aren't going to step into a clean cockpit with perfect weather, already lined up on a 7 mile final. The **** will still be splattering off the fan all the way to touch down until you come to a full stop.

I've been on a commercial flight (a northwest a319?) that lost an engine on climbout. That was a non-event in terms of flight, but the whole airplane was shaking and vibrating until they managed to get the thing spun down. Also the backup hydraulic pump started kicking in (somewhere in the center fuselage below the floor) which makes an aweful sound ... normally you just hear it on the ground, so it was pretty disconcerting to hear it in the air. After they got everything settled down and checked off their list, we turned around and they brought us straight in (opposite the direction we took off, so landed with the wind and rolled out pretty long.) The airbus flight control system worked like a champ the whole time. There was zero yawing sensation when we lost the engine, just a big bang and vibration. My wife was literally crying, but I calmly told her this is the first and last thing a pilot trains for every day, and as long as we hadn't thrown a turbine blade through a hydraulic line, we'd probably be fine.

Also, there was already other company pilots on the plane riding to work, so I would have been pretty far down the list if they needed to invite someone from the cabin up front to help out.

Good old northwest airlines ... we got a $5 phone calling card for compensation for our trauma, they they threw us on a different airplane, and off we went again.

I was on a sun country 727 flight to DFW and we didn't get three greens for our landing gear on final, so they parked us in a holding pattern for 20 minutes. Finally the pilot came on and said "we didn't get 3 greens, we've run through all the check lists, we have everything we need to try to land." That worked out fine, but another time I didn't get invited to the cockpit to help out. The landed us way on the NW corner runway at DFW and we stopped in place. Pickup trucks came up after a while and parked a *long* way off ... which made me wonder how bad we were smoking. Eventually someone came out, declared the gear safe to taxi and we finally got to go to a gate and get off the plane.

If it wasn't for landing gear and engines, airplanes would be way more reliable!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
If they asked that in a plane that I was on, I would wait a bit to see if there are any real pilots first. I want the real certified dude to fly the plane lol. If there aren't any real pilots though, I would raise my hand. I have been in the cockpit of an A320 and I know where some of the stuff is, so as long as the plane is similar to an A320 I will be mostly fine lol. If not, then I will probably do some looking around to find the important switches, then just make an attempt at landing. Also, I know that you said no help from ATC, but if it happened in real life my first priority would be to find the radio and turn it to the frequency 121.500 (emergency frequency, and yes, I memorized it).

Piotrsko

Master member
Problem is, hardly anybody listens in on 121.5 anymore, too many false ELT beacons overrunning the system or so I have been told by ATC. You're better off mayday ing on the last useable frequency which should be Control , Center, or Approach. 7600 or 7700 on the transponder gets their attention REALLY fast. (Had a transponder failure once. I was the center of attention until the sheriff called them after I landed) # 2: unless someone was capable of unlocking the cabin door, you aren't getting in. Thank you jihadists.
#3: 7 mile final means the cat 3 is on and locked in so you have about 3 minutes to figure out how to kiss something goodbye. Probably don't have time to turn the thing off and go around.

This is why one pilot must be on O2 ALWAYS, they eat different special meals and other odd safety things. Gets really exciting when one pilot gets sick for any reason.

Last edited:

flyingkelpie

Elite member
You know how in movies, if an airplane pilot falls unconscious or something, they go into the cabin and ask if anyone is a pilot? If that happened in real life, would you raise your hand? Do you think you would be able to land the plane? I was thinking about this last night as I was going to sleep and I think, as long as I know where all the important buttons are, there is a 25% chance that I would land the plane successfully. Oh yeah, and we are assuming you get no help from ATC...cuz reasons.
YES. I AM CERTIFIED.

1607420155140.png

AlexNillson89

When I think about it, it seems to me that I can do it, but then I realize that if I were in the pilot's seat, I could be confused, so I don't even know)))

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Problem is, hardly anybody listens in on 121.5 anymore, too many false ELT beacons overrunning the system or so I have been told by ATC. You're better off mayday ing on the last useable frequency which should be Control , Center, or Approach. 7600 or 7700 on the transponder gets their attention REALLY fast. (Had a transponder failure once. I was the center of attention until the sheriff called them after I landed) # 2: unless someone was capable of unlocking the cabin door, you aren't getting in. Thank you jihadists.
#3: 7 mile final means the cat 3 is on and locked in so you have about 3 minutes to figure out how to kiss something goodbye. Probably don't have time to turn the thing off and go around.

This is why one pilot must be on O2 ALWAYS, they eat different special meals and other odd safety things. Gets really exciting when one pilot gets sick for any reason.
I do. The airline I work for mandates it. Almost every international airline does as well. I've heard some amazing things on dark nights in the North Atlantic tracks on 121.5 and 123.45 (air to air oceanic).

Piotrsko

Master member
I do. The airline I work for mandates it. Almost every international airline does as well. I've heard some amazing things on dark nights in the North Atlantic tracks on 121.5 and 123.45 (air to air oceanic).
Since you're a busdriver: how hard is it to find the autopilot off switch? My guess is center stack about halfway down red button but could be copilot side. I also guess it's type specific and PSEL taidragger don't use 'em

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Since you're a busdriver: how hard is it to find the autopilot off switch? My guess is center stack about halfway down red button but could be copilot side. I also guess it's type specific and PSEL taidragger don't use 'em
We turn it off with a pickle switch (big red button on top of the side stick) on the flying pilot side stick usually (push once, A/P off, push second time, cancel the A/P off warning). If you use the button on FCU (center of the glareshield - where you turn the A/P on), it only turns off the A/P and you get the A/P off warning, so no one uses that to turn it off.