Does lhcp rhcp really matter?

Trains1213_YT

Hey guys I know I have kind of been spamming the forum today but I have been having a lot of questions. I have been looking at a lot of different types of antenna and I was wondering if having a lhcp or rhcp antenna actually made a difference.

Edit: geez I just looked and I am coming up on two years on the forums! My goodness did that go by quick.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Yes, as in, if I have RHCP on the transmitter I put RHCP on the receiver. But Left Vs Right, one being inherently better? No.
Like @leaded50 said, if there are a lot of LHCP near you I'd run RHCP or vice versa. Otherwise don't worry about it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering if having a lhcp or rhcp antenna actually made a difference.
Does it matter which one you use, no, both LH & RH antenna work equally well.
Don’t try to use them together, that is use LH on the vTx & RH on the vRx. LH & RH antennas have a very high rejection of each other.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
LHCP and RHCP have no technical differences. However I have learned swapping them in certain high wifi use areas can help clean up weak or bad reception. I keep a set of both in my goggle case as well as stock dipoles as they in some cases can be cleaner. like out back here. RHCP on raceband 8 works well but on lower channels does not but a LHCP antenna with stock dipole does.

For instance I sit next to the dugouts on the steps of the grand stand at the local park where I fly. I found flying with one RHCP and one dipole on my goggles with an axii stubby on my quad gives me very clean and effective signals specially when I fly at an angle that puts the huge grandstand fence between me and my quad. The dipole kicks in on the diversity channel and cleans it up well enough to get me back in full open view when the CP antenna signal seems to get sinked or broken up by the huge chain link safety fences.

VTX output power also plays into the mix as not all channels produce the same signals. The further away from the antenna tuned to center of the band you get the weaker the output signals get. I have seen tests on some receivers shortly after I started getting into FPV that showed some VTX on closely matched frequencies can have higher then rated output but on further from center frequencies an have power severely gimped.. for example a 200mw test showed up to 300 mw on certain frequencies and as low as 35 mw on others.

If you fly in the same areas test various frequencies available and see what give the best performance in that area. you may find odd rarely used frequencies can be better then more commonly used ones. Then try swapping out left and right hand antennas to see if you get even better signal reception.

Trains1213_YT

LHCP and RHCP have no technical differences. However I have learned swapping them in certain high wifi use areas can help clean up weak or bad reception. I keep a set of both in my goggle case as well as stock dipoles as they in some cases can be cleaner. like out back here. RHCP on raceband 8 works well but on lower channels does not but a LHCP antenna with stock dipole does.

For instance I sit next to the dugouts on the steps of the grand stand at the local park where I fly. I found flying with one RHCP and one dipole on my goggles with an axii stubby on my quad gives me very clean and effective signals specially when I fly at an angle that puts the huge grandstand fence between me and my quad. The dipole kicks in on the diversity channel and cleans it up well enough to get me back in full open view when the CP antenna signal seems to get sinked or broken up by the huge chain link safety fences.

VTX output power also plays into the mix as not all channels produce the same signals. The further away from the antenna tuned to center of the band you get the weaker the output signals get. I have seen tests on some receivers shortly after I started getting into FPV that showed some VTX on closely matched frequencies can have higher then rated output but on further from center frequencies an have power severely gimped.. for example a 200mw test showed up to 300 mw on certain frequencies and as low as 35 mw on others.

If you fly in the same areas test various frequencies available and see what give the best performance in that area. you may find odd rarely used frequencies can be better then more commonly used ones. Then try swapping out left and right hand antennas to see if you get even better signal reception.

Wow! Thats a lot of information I am sure that will come in handy.