Dollar Tree Foam Board

TerrorDactyl

I hope this is an okay question as it is really a poll. I am asking how many people would like some of the kits still cut with Dollar Tree as they want to do night flying. I would like to have a Kracken and Cruiser where I can do night flys with it.

I realize that there might be a small increase in cost and a possible delay for a number of kits to be ordered if a small supply went down.
i know that the list of birds being cut will be small and up to the cutters.

I will try to keep an up yo date count right here.
YES NO
1 TerrorDactyl 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
8 8

FastCrash45

Elite member
I hope this is an okay question as it is really a poll. I am asking how many people would like some of the kits still cut with Dollar Tree as they want to do night flying. I would like to have a Kracken and Cruiser where I can do night flys with it.

I realize that there might be a small increase in cost and a possible delay for a number of kits to be ordered if a small supply went down.
i know that the list of birds being cut will be small and up to the cutters.

I will try to keep an up yo date count right here.
YES NO
1 TerrorDactyl 1
2 FastCrash45 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
8 8

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Mine is a no-vote. They've got so much on backorder already, I wouldn't want to add to it. I say if you want it built with the DT foamboard, then just build it. It's an interesting poll, though. Thank you for that. :)

TerrorDactyl

Your welcome Buzzbomb, the main reason I started this poll is that as I am in my mid 70s and using a kit would make it a lot easier which at my age is preferable. I see that this is not going anywhere so all I can say is I asked, oh well I guess I will have to get cutting.
BTW has anyone seen if they have made the 400% Cruiser plans available yet?

Mozella

Your welcome Buzzbomb, the main reason I started this poll is that as I am in my mid 70s and using a kit would make it a lot easier which at my age is preferable. I see that this is not going anywhere so all I can say is I asked, oh well I guess I will have to get cutting.
BTW has anyone seen if they have made the 400% Cruiser plans available yet?

I'm also in my mid 70's and this morning I printed the plans for the Mesa RC F-35 Thunder (similar to a Flite Test kit). Then I tiled them mtogether, cut out all the parts, and applied MinWax. Then I had lunch and my usual nap. This afternoon, without compromising the regular 4 games of pool with my wife or my obligitory cocktail hour, I painted the parts. Tomorrow I'll assemble the parts and have it standing by as a spare in case I ruin my Flite Test F-22 (also built from plans using DTFB) on it's first flight tomorrow.

You can build these planes from plans with only a small additional investment in time. It's not all that difficult. The key is a good straight edge, new blades in your cutting tools, and a good cutting surface. I use a large "self healing" cutting surface made just for this kind of work.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm also in my mid 70's and this morning I printed the plans for the Mesa RC F-35 Thunder (similar to a Flite Test kit). Then I tiled them mtogether, cut out all the parts, and applied MinWax. Then I had lunch and my usual nap. This afternoon, without compromising the regular 4 games of pool with my wife or my obligitory cocktail hour, I painted the parts. Tomorrow I'll assemble the parts and have it standing by as a spare in case I ruin my Flite Test F-22 (also built from plans using DTFB) on it's first flight tomorrow.

You can build these planes from plans with only a small additional investment in time. It's not all that difficult. The key is a good straight edge, new blades in your cutting tools, and a good cutting surface. I use a large "self healing" cutting surface made just for this kind of work.

Okay - so jealous right now - an obligatory cocktail hour - I can't wait!

JennyC6

Elite member
My argument against going back to the white foamboard for purposes of night flying is simple: LEDs. Pop some navlights on it and you can fly it at night just as well, if not better, than if it was made of the old DTFB, but you get the benefits of the brown stuff.

Alternative: Just paint the brown stuff a glossy white.

I'm also gonna put a nay vote in for FT to resume selling the old foamboard in their kits. The durable stuff is great and there's other ways to enable night flying while retaining that durability.

TerrorDactyl

My main reason for the DTFB was that the wing was more glowing than brightly lit. I guess I will either get a kit for patterns or try it from plans. I spent too many years building oil field equip with 24" pipe wrenches, sledge hammers, and welders. I guess its time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.

joelspangler

I think the op might be referring to embedding the leds inside of the wings which makes the whole craft glow. Here's a video showing the technique from Bix himself
That would certainly work better with white foamboard. Would think the brown stuff would block a much higher percentage of the light