FTFC24: Build-ruary by LitterBug.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Picked up a couple perfect fit SunnySky 1806 motors on sale for $5.99 ea. from BuddyRC for my FT Slow Stick SS250 builds. Reverse thread, so I'll need to use lock nuts and or make sure the prop is super tight so the nut doesn't loosen up. (assuming there is thrust angle baked in to the stock 3d printed parts)
IMG_20240214_105107508.jpg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Need to strip the electronics out of my old FT Dart before I get too carried away.... Also need to print some black pods if I am going to make it stealth..... Although the yellow would be good for orientation contrast.....
IMG_20240214_151707415.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
OOPS!

Work8ng on the FT Explorer speed build kit today.
Should have done a double B fold on the main body and did an A/B. Cut it off and will make a replacement part on the laser cutter to replace this piece.
IMG_20240221_102454774.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
OOPS!

Work8ng on the FT Explorer speed build kit today.
Should have done a double B fold on the main body and did an A/B. Cut it off and will make a replacement part on the laser cutter to replace this piece. View attachment 242665
On my last explorer things fit really tight anyway. Had to do some trimming to get the tail boom in.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
MASSIVELY WARPED speedbuild kit.....

So my speedbuild kit was picked up at FliteFest '17 or '18 and is massively wArPed.... Things are not flattening out as I build. This may become an experimental wackily warped explorer for combat '24!!!!
IMG_20240221_110620857.jpg

I am experimenting with the heated bed and weight on my 3D printer for the horizontal and vertical stabilizers....

The rear boom has a really bad twist that I have tried to work out... hoping after the servos go in and as the top get's glued on I can get the twist out.

IMG_20240221_111439541.jpg

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
MASSIVELY WARPED speedbuild kit.....

So my speedbuild kit was picked up at FliteFest '17 or '18 and is massively wArPed.... Things are not flattening out as I build. This may become an experimental wackily warped explorer for combat '24!!!!
View attachment 242666
I am experimenting with the heated bed and weight on my 3D printer for the horizontal and vertical stabilizers....

The rear boom has a really bad twist that I have tried to work out... hoping after the servos go in and as the top get's glued on I can get the twist out.

View attachment 242667

I also ended up with foam sheets that has bowed up and twisted and even on some of my built models. Enter the monokote heat sealing

unit.
iron.JPG

After exploring the temp range, found that at 248 degrees F,(used a laser temp device) and moved around slowly on the foam wiped out the bends and twists. It takes a lot of practice to know when to pick up iron and let foam cool before moving. It works, because if you overheat, it bows or bends the foam the other way.

Since water removes the paper from the foam, explored applying a thin and evenly hot glue over the iron's surface (use an old credit card) and then cover the area of foam board that gets wet or the edge of foam board to reseal the paper.

Mini-bipe.JPG

I had to replace the initial struts(wires too short), so used pointy edge of iron tipped up and removed glue which allowed me to extract strut and replace it rather then starting over. So if the bed doesn't work, maybe an iron will work for you.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmmmm.... I have one of those fancy iron things and a laser temp guage. I will have to give it a try.

I had some success with small parts on the heatbed. I should bump the temp up higher than 60c.....

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Going to work on getting the Electronics installed in all of these by the end of February. Will probably not get to the Viggen. Looks like a rainy week ahead, so probably no maidens, but hope to have them at least pre-flight ready.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Was up late last night working on several builds, ordering bullet connectoors, servo extension/y-cables, etc. So close on 7 of them....

odd work schedule this week has gotten in the way.