Driving from Elora, Ontario to The Villages in Florida in March.

Just add foam

Hey Guys,

Planning a family vacation during the Canadian Invasion of the USA. (March break). Looking for some great hobby stores to hit up on the way.

If anyone has some recommendations I would appreciate it. I looked last year but found nothing amazing.

Thanks guys !

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh . . . so you're one of "THOSE" village people . . .

If you hit ATL, Grayson's is on the east side in Loganville -- a bit off the beaten track, but just a bit past Stone Mountain. Mostly good for motors, parts and building materials.

East of Ocala (just north of your destination) is Heads-up RC. Good general hobby store.

If you make it a touch farther south, Graves RC is in North Orlando, and if you're into electronics hobby stuff as well, Skycraft is well worth the visit -- electronic surplus from the AF/Navy/Nasa AND theme parks . . . and other general junk of that sort.

Just add foam

Haha... My in laws are one those people.. and let me tell you the way those Villagers drink down there. I can see why they get that rep.

Thanks for the laugh... Great advise on the hobby stores. I'll post my route once I put some thought into it.

Grauwulf

I can't help you with your request (and not to totally hijack your thread), but any good hobby shops around where you live? I just moved to Guelph in August.

brian79cj

There are a couple of clubs inside of The Villages (Helis, boats, cars, and of course planes.). I have never had the time to visit but they seem to be very active. There is a section in the local news paper that reports on activities.

Spastickitten

I know that there is Graves R/C in Orlando, but hobby shops are few and far between. I've flown for almost a year, and I haven't been to a hobby shop. I hope to fly with you soon!

Spastickitten

I went to the heads up rc that is displayed on maps, and I think the storefront closed, you can only buy from the site, but they might have moved, I don't really know.

Just add foam

Hey Grauwulf,

Welcome to the area. The closest hobby store is Flitecraft in Kitchener. Its not a big hobby store, but it is a really good all round store. They have a bit of everything in it. You can hit Great Hobbies on Winston church hill in Mississauga in about 45 min from Guelph. Those are the main two I deal with and order tend to order mostly on line.

There are a few more hobby stores in Mississauga but I tend to avoid the big cities as the drive from Elora adds another hour to the total drive.

I might just ship my orders to the villages and drive them back. Might be easier in the long run.

Grauwulf

That will be nice to have stuffed shipped from the US HK warehouse and save yourself some money.

Thanks for the heads up on the local hobby shops!

Just add foam

Hey Guys, Quick update just because I have 13 days until I start my drive to Florida.... So Excited ! We decided to take I79-I77 down to The Villages and it appears my attempt to go hobby store hunting on the way has come to a crashing halt thanks to the Canadian Paso. Plus my wife and kids will not tolerate Daddy take any unnecessary detours on his quest for cool plane parts.The Disney Magic cruise ship is in their sites and nothing is getting in there way..haha.

So I had to fulfill my FT addiction and put together the sparrow. Its a cool little ship, tail heavy but cool. Might have something to do with the larger motor, but its going to go like stink. I think I will have to rename it to the sparrow hawk. Now my only challenge is to try and fly it. Getting a big storm tomorrow and the weeks weather looks quit dismal. Oh well no worries I can still torture the cats with my nano QX while I am praying to the weather gods.

Feel free to shout out any hobby shops on my route, just in case the fam is sleeping and I can pretend I took the wrong turn and accidently ended up by a hobby store. What.. it could happen ?

I'll keep you posted on the maiden.

For all you Canadians joining the mas migration south , happy and safe travel. To all my USA friends... I'm sorry.