New to hobby - Need your help!

TheHuevos

Super Newb
Hello Flite Test Community and thanks ahead of time for your input.

To save you a paragraph of my life story, here is a quick run down of where I stand with the hobby.
  1. I have been interested in the hobby for a few years, but never gave it a try
  2. Flite Test has inspired me to get into the hobby, so here I go!
  3. I am JUST as interested in scratch building as I am flying, DIY is in my blood!
  4. My only RC knowledge is from the hours of Flite Test content I've seen.

From the many posts that I've read, I believe that I am going to start with the FT Flyer, then move to the Bloody Wonder or Delta, and eventually the Versa/Mustang. I thought about a RTF, but my interest in scratch building has made this option a no go!

Like many others, I don't want to break the bank just getting into the hobby. From what I can tell, I should be able to get a decent start with scratch building plus electronics for under $200. (keep in mind, I have zero RC inventory, I'm starting from nothing)

Here are the things I need the amazing community's input on. Please fire away with all knowledge and opinion!

Based on past hobbies that I've gotten into, I know that I can be a quick learner. (Don't take this as bragging, I don't mean it that way at all) But I've gone the route of, "I'm going to buy the cheap beginner stuff and upgrade from there." I've learned my lesson with that and it cost me a lot more money than I would have like. That being said, I by no means am interested in top of the line equipment. I'd like to find a happy medium where it may take a little more effort to learn, but give me room to grow.

Transmitter
I've looked at so many transmitters, my brain is fried with information. I need some assistance.
  • Should I get the cheapo Hobby King Tx? Will it suit my needs for the first year of growth?
  • Is there a $50-70 Tx that I should look at that I can learn on and then grow into for the first years?
  • Any other knowledge I should account for?

Other electronics
I am looking at electronic KITS that companies offer, but I am back and forth on what to get. Ideally, I'd like a kit that I can use on my first few planes (FT Flyer, Bloody wonder, Mustang, Versa). For example, I have looked at this kit LINK but I have absolutely no idea if it can power the planes I listed above. It contains the Blue Wonder they talk so highly of on the show. Should I try "The Beef" package? Is that too much power? PLEASE HELP?

I think those are my biggest struggles right now. I have many of the tools scratch building requires, and the motivation to do it all. I feel limited on the knowledge I have, and I know that comes with time, which is why I need your help!

If I can get these first two things answered, I may come back to you guys for some battery recommendations as well as chargers.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer this, it means the world that strangers take the time out of their busy lives to help newbies get into the hobby.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You will most likely need both the blue wonder and the beef motors. The beef will be a little large for the smaller planes but perfect for the mustang and the versa. For transmitters, an Orange T6 will work fine for a while. It has 6 channels and lots of fancy functions for its dirt cheap price. The turnigy 9xr will also work fine, but needs a separate radio modual. The power packs from lazer toys are relatively inexpensive and every thing is included if you don't want to shop around.

Welcome to the forums!

NateO

I got in to the hobby (again) because of flitetest as well.
I get all my stuff from Hobby king .com, they are cheap and pretty good on shipping.

I would start with a Turnigy 9x transmitter (~70$) a couple of 20 amp speed controllers (ESC) (not OPTO, should be about 9-10$ each), serveral 1200-1400kv motors (i use emax and turnigy brand from hobby king) There is a 1450kv turnigy motor that come with all the connectors and prop adapters (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Brushless_Outrunner_1450kv_US_Warehouse_.html)
a 3.17mm prop saver (for that motor i linked to, 3mm shaft for the emax motors), 20-50 8x4 or 8x6 props (yes that many). The last thing you need is a battery and battery charger. If your new, dont build the big planes yet, learn to fly with elevator and rudder (FT Flier, "smash drone", step up to bloody wonder) first, ailerons will cause you to barrel roll right in to the ground when you get disoriented. That being said, you only need 1300 to 1800 mah batteries (~10$ each (zippy are good and cheap)). Once you can go through a few batteries and leave the field with your planes intact, then you can build the "cool" planes and get 2200 mah batteries. Caution on chargers: they normally dont come with a power cord, but if they do expect to spend at least 50$ on a cheap charger. All up is close to 200$ (I have helped a friend get in to the hobby and that's what he spent) to get started, and that is without building a plane.
Dont forget the odds and ends of pushrods, linkage stoppers and control horns (or use dental floss picks like I do for control horns)

Last edited:

RichB

Don't waste your time on a non-computer transmitter. If you are on a budget, the Turnigy 9X is your minimum. It can be upgraded to OpenTX or er9x firmware for under $5 in parts and a little soldering.

moebeast

I started with the HK-T6A, but spent more time figuring out how to program it than I did building planes. I built a Bluetooth interface for it and can change models using my Android phone. I found a used DX6i on ebay for $60 and it is much easier to use. I also recommend a Horizon plane with SAFE for learning to fly.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
If you are not on a tight budget, take a look at the Taranis. That's probably all you will ever need for a transmitter for a really good price compared to other feature-rich models.

As for FT planes, don't miss out on the new Minis and make sure to look at the Storch too after you got some experience with the FT Flyer.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Be patient. That's just the advice I want to start with.

The set up I'm going to recommend for you is only available in Hobby King's international warehouse and it's Christmas time. The shipping will take a while and will be expensive. However, for the past year I've been using one motor and one motor only. The Hobby King 2824. I've had a hard time finding a similar motor. But that motor paired with an 8x4 prop, a 3S 2200mah battery, and a 25amp ESC will power a lot of planes and will be a lot of fun. (Smaller battery on lighter planes.)

FYI, it's a horrible idea to order batteries from Hobby King's international warehouse. If you're willing to pay for the shipping and wait, order everything except the batteries from HK's international warehouse.

mjmccarron

I'll list what I used to teach my son in law and the equipment used for his first plane. I too don't waste money on cheep stuff so here goes:

Spektrum DX6i transmitter Local Hobby Shop
OrangeRx R615X Receiverhttp://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__46632__OrangeRx_R615X_DSM2_DSMX_Compatible_6Ch_2_4GHz_Receiver_w_CPPM.html
Hextronix 24g, 1500kV motor http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4859__hexTronik_24gram_Brushless_Outrunner_1500kv.html
Hobby King 20A ESC http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15202__Hobby_King_20A_ESC_3A_UBEC.html
(2) 9G Servos from my junk box but HXT900 or TG9e will work
(2) 3S, 1000mAh lipo http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6470__ZIPPY_Flightmax_1000mAh_3S1P_25C.html
FT Flyer, scratch built
Misc control horns, linkage stoppers, pushrods from FT Store.

The FT Flyer is a great first plane and he learned quickly. We selected the DX6i because of it's compatibility with my Spectrum transmitter and we were able to buddy box. His second plane was a Bloody wonder and he made the transition quite easily. The only thing he upgraded was to purchase another motor. A Tunigy SK3 2826, 1240kV.

I'd go for the Spectrum transmitter but the Taranus is a good one too. I'd stay clear of the Tunigy but that's only a matter of opinion.

Best of luck,

Mike

Bill Boyles

I am new to this hobby . I built the F 22 Raptor and it came out really nice
The problem was within 10 seconds it bit the dust. I checked the CG before and the radio (spectrum 6 I. ) made sure eLevon's worked right the power was what was recommended . It went about 20 ft veered to the right and crashed.anyy suggestions on what I am doing wrong

Last edited:

Bill Boyles

I am new to this hobby . I built the F 22 Raptor and it came out really nice
The problem was within 10 seconds it bit the dust. I checked the CG before and the radio (spectrum 6 I. ) made sure eLevon's worked right the power was what was recommended . It went about 20 ft veered to the right and crashed . Any suggestions on what went wrong

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I wouldn't recommend scratch building a plane to learn on. Learning to fly is hard enough on a properly assembled plane. If some thing is off on your build you won't have the skills to figure out what it is. Something like the Duet, Super Cub S or Delta Ray help you build your flying skills. On the side you can work on your first build.