Help! Drone won't connect to pc

ITS_BROKEN

hello everyone,

I want to start this hobby but technology just won't let me.

I've bought an Emax Tiny Hawk 2 race drone and a Taranis Q X7 transmitter.

When i power the drone and hold the bind button at the same time, the drone doesn't go into bind mode.
it gives me 2x (5 blue and 4 green) led flashes. with or without holding the bind button, it always does the same.

So i want to try and use Betaflight to put in into bind mode. the only problem now is that my pc won't connect/recognize my drone.

When i plug in the drone, my pc doesn't make the noise its supposed to make, when you put in a new device. Its like i'm not doing anything at all.
So i tried installing the STM USB VCP Drivers, but that doesn't fix the problem neither.
I've also tried 'ImpulseRC driver fixer', but this program just keeps loading and doesn't do anything.
I've used multiple USB cables and ports, no luck there.

I'm really at a dead end here and don't know what to do next.
I hope one of you can help me.

Bricks

Master member
Do not know a thing about OT but says it is compatible with EMAX SPI Receiver Compatible with FrSky D8 mode have you got your transmitter set right for this protocol?

If you have the newer QX7 it is a ACCESS only and will not bind with this receiver if I read the information correctly. If it is the older transmitter then it should bind.

Last edited:

ITS_BROKEN

Do not know a thing about OT but says it is compatible with EMAX SPI Receiver Compatible with FrSky D8 mode have you got your transmitter set right for this protocol?

If you have the newer QX7 it is a ACCESS only and will not bind with this receiver if I read the information correctly. If it is the older transmitter then it should bind.

i've bought an extra module for my QX7 which allows it to have D8 mode. I am a 100% sure it works since i have already connected with my drone. but after my drone got repaired it won't work anymore.

(extra info: it got repaired because my drone couldn't fly 2S batteries anymore)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Explain what you mean by "after it got repaired" did you send it back to the factory for repairs? If so more then likely the re-flashed it and all your previous settings are wiped and just need to be re set.

I would look where the receiver is wired onto the FC it should be labeled what port it is next to the signal wire. Then all you have to do is go to the ports tab and set that port save the page before leaving it to go to configuration page to re-choose the receiver saving that page to re-enable it. Then go to the receiver tab and make sure the controls are in fact working AND going in the proper directions according to the stick movements.

ITS_BROKEN

Explain what you mean by "after it got repaired" did you send it back to the factory for repairs? If so more then likely the re-flashed it and all your previous settings are wiped and just need to be re set.

I would look where the receiver is wired onto the FC it should be labeled what port it is next to the signal wire. Then all you have to do is go to the ports tab and set that port save the page before leaving it to go to configuration page to re-choose the receiver saving that page to re-enable it. Then go to the receiver tab and make sure the controls are in fact working AND going in the proper directions according to the stick movements.

I had a problem that it wouldn't fly on 2S batteries anymore. So i send it back to the shop where it came from (droneshop.nl). they said they put in a new FC and flashed it trough betaflight.

but the problem with me is, that i can't get my drone to connect or even be recognized by my pc.
I've tried multiple USB cables and ports. I also tried ImpulseRC driver fixer but it wouldn't do anything.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you use win 10 then the usb drivers have probably been reset during an update. Does the computer do the ding doing noise when you plug it in? Do the blinky lights flash on the FC after its plugged in? At the top of betaflight does the port change after you plug the fc in?

If it goes ding dong then the usb is recognized. If the blinky lights are flashing then the FC is getting power. If the port does not change after plugging it into betaflight then the drivers are missing and you just have to reload the right ones listed on the betaflight welcome screen or you only have a charge cable plugged in . That said Impulsedriverfixer tool should work regardless with the proper cable.

Finally.. I am not sure if using a usb 2.0 vs a 3.0 makes a difference. Maybe try using a usb 2.0?

ITS_BROKEN

If you use win 10 then the usb drivers have probably been reset during an update. Does the computer do the ding doing noise when you plug it in? Do the blinky lights flash on the FC after its plugged in? At the top of betaflight does the port change after you plug the fc in?

If it goes ding dong then the usb is recognized. If the blinky lights are flashing then the FC is getting power. If the port does not change after plugging it into betaflight then the drivers are missing and you just have to reload the right ones listed on the betaflight welcome screen or you only have a charge cable plugged in . That said Impulsedriverfixer tool should work regardless with the proper cable.

Finally.. I am not sure if using a usb 2.0 vs a 3.0 makes a difference. Maybe try using a usb 2.0?

I do use WIN 10, but my pc doesn't make the ding doing noise when i plug it in, the lights don't start blinking and the port doesn't change.
I've already tried installing the drivers from the betaflight home screen but that doesn't seem to help.
Impulsdriverfixer unfortunately is a no go as well.

Tried multiple cables but none seem to work.

think i'm just not meant to fly this drone......

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I do use WIN 10, but my pc doesn't make the ding doing noise when i plug it in, the lights don't start blinking and the port doesn't change.
I've already tried installing the drivers from the betaflight home screen but that doesn't seem to help.
Impulsdriverfixer unfortunately is a no go as well.

Tried multiple cables but none seem to work.

think i'm just not meant to fly this drone......

Are you sure you tested both a 2.0 and 3.0 usb port? I have older external hard drives that work fine on usb 2.0 but wont ding and activate on 3.0. I have not as my front port is 2.0 and I automatically use that for my fc's.

the only other thing you could try is to remove the drivers listed on betaflight as well as driverfixer. Shut down and cold boot the computer so windows doesnt think the drivers were removed unintentionally and reloads them (battled that nightmare when I first started and was on win 7) Then run a registry cleaner to make sure no residuals are left hanging around. Once thats done do fresh installs of the drivers and try again.

ITS_BROKEN

Are you sure you tested both a 2.0 and 3.0 usb port? I have older external hard drives that work fine on usb 2.0 but wont ding and activate on 3.0. I have not as my front port is 2.0 and I automatically use that for my fc's.

the only other thing you could try is to remove the drivers listed on betaflight as well as driverfixer. Shut down and cold boot the computer so windows doesnt think the drivers were removed unintentionally and reloads them (battled that nightmare when I first started and was on win 7) Then run a registry cleaner to make sure no residuals are left hanging around. Once thats done do fresh installs of the drivers and try again.

i have 2 3.0 and 2.0 ports on the front of my computer and none of them work.

alright i'll try that, but do you have a video or something showing me how that works. i am no computer genius.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im not comfortable verbally guiding you thru something if done wrong could hurt your computer mate. But there are plenty of you tube videos on how to uninstall programs and drivers on the web.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Who did the repair on the drone? Is it possible that they didn't fix it correctly and/or did not reconnect all the internal cables? Any pictures of the craft? We like to see what everyone is playing with in here!

Cheers!
LitterBug

mastermalpass

Elite member
I got a Diatone GT M530 and found it wouldn't connect to Betaflight unless I plugged the battery in. Saw plenty of others on youtube who didn't have to do this but I've always needed the battery in - no idea why!

ITS_BROKEN

Who did the repair on the drone? Is it possible that they didn't fix it correctly and/or did not reconnect all the internal cables? Any pictures of the craft? We like to see what everyone is playing with in here!

Cheers!
LitterBug

The company is Droneshop.nl, i orderd the drone there and send it back to the repair service. i emailed them and they said they could connect the drone to betafllight. So i think the problem is with the usb drivers in my pc. But i can't seem to fix it.
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-29 at 10.06.44.jpeg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Pull up Device Manager while you have it connected to the PC and take a screenshot. (Although if you don't get the beeps, it may not show up)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Plug the fc in with device manager open. if no dings or alerts pop up right click the click desktop name at the top and select scan for hardware changes.

If nothing new pops up try plugging something else in with that cable and see if that pops up. you may have a charge only cable which is very common. You could also try other cables to see if it lights up the Fc. You could also try different usb ports on your computer as the one you are using could be bad.

Also as a last resort as stated above (REMOVE PROPS FIRST) plug in a flight pack and then try the usb again. I doubt that will change as usuallyonly receivers have this issue on some boards not the fc themselves. (unless the power connection in the usb port on your fc is bad then it may light up)

ITS_BROKEN

Plug the fc in with device manager open. if no dings or alerts pop up right click the click desktop name at the top and select scan for hardware changes.

If nothing new pops up try plugging something else in with that cable and see if that pops up. you may have a charge only cable which is very common. You could also try other cables to see if it lights up the Fc. You could also try different usb ports on your computer as the one you are using could be bad.

Also as a last resort as stated above (REMOVE PROPS FIRST) plug in a flight pack and then try the usb again. I doubt that will change as usuallyonly receivers have this issue on some boards not the fc themselves. (unless the power connection in the usb port on your fc is bad then it may light up)

I tried the cable with my ps4 controller and then it does show a new device in the device manager.

used multiple USB ports but no luck there either.

even with a flight pack in it doesn't react at all.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im gonna have to say at this point after going thru all the checks we normally do and more troubleshooting then it normally takes to resolve a connection issue that the Fc is no good. They either did not replace the board or you got another bad one and they never powered it up after flashing it IF they flashed it.

ITS_BROKEN

Im gonna have to say at this point after going thru all the checks we normally do and more troubleshooting then it normally takes to resolve a connection issue that the Fc is no good. They either did not replace the board or you got another bad one and they never powered it up after flashing it IF they flashed it.

Yeah, well guess i'm gonna send it back again. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: