DTFB B-17 HELP

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
hi is there anybody willing to help me flatten out the skin of the b17 i'm working I've got the ribs and the back bone and the skin done it will not flatten out right I'm using skechup thanks

DH.98

Hello Okie,
I'm also using sketchup to design my planes. So if you could explain a bit more clearly what problem you are facing or send me the sketchup file I might be able to help you.

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
the problem is unwrapping the skin so that it is flat and also putting in the wing hole and tail feathers

b17.png

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Are you using the Unfold Tool?

To get the wing hole, make the wing section a group and intersect it with the panels it goes through. This will leave the profile of the wing on the fuse which you can unfold with the fuse.

If you look at the shading of the panels you can sometimes see where you might run into problems unfolding. On the third segment back from the front, there are a number of sections that are dark gray, looking somewhat out of place. These are likely to fold weirdly. I would just redraw these individual sections.

Also note that the way you have the fuse built, different diameters and different angle, the unfold will "split" along the seams, which is correct. Here is an example of what that looks like.

Example.png

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
What are you skinning this with? Do you have an assembled wing modeled? The assembled wing we can use to intersect with the fuse and get the wing cut out locations. There is a lot of odd geometry in this to unfold. It needs to be done in sections then pieced back together in order to get something manageable. I will keep working on it, but I make no promises.

Really need the assembled wing.

DH.98

That's weird, on my computer it worked just fine and I'm currently using flattery to design plans on Sketchup.
But if your computer tells you it might be a virus you should better leave it.