DTFB Voodoo

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Oh ya less drag and thin wings. The system works so well they do it alot in pylon planes. Its been awhile sence ive used it i forgot all about it... i thought about it when i was getingt ready to check out from hobbyking. I drop the servos off the list cause i have a pile of 10g servos why not try that

I was thinking about doing the ailerons on the Voodoo the same way, but I wanted to keep it simple. I might do it on Voodoo Mk II though.

Christopher14

After some serious thinking, I decided to go with the 2750kv motor on the 4s 1000mAh with a 4.7x4 prop. The all up weight ready to go should be in the 280gram range, not very bad for a 700mm plane. And this is just a guess, but I think the Voodoo will get to 110mph without much effort.:D

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
After some serious thinking, I decided to go with the 2750kv motor on the 4s 1000mAh with a 4.7x4 prop. The all up weight ready to go should be in the 280gram range, not very bad for a 700mm plane. And this is just a guess, but I think the Voodoo will get to 110mph without much effort.:D

Come on man 110mph. My fun fighters will be 600mm pushing that plus. You might get there not sure yet if that motor will handle 4s. Will see i guess

Christopher14

Come on man 110mph. My fun fighters will be 600mm pushing that plus. You might get there not sure yet if that motor will handle 4s. Will see i guess

I am being conservative on the speed guess because I like to be surprised. And I am not sure if the motor can handle 4s ether, from my calculations it should. Good thing I am getting two though.

jayz 84

I am being conservative on the speed guess because I like to be surprised. And I am not sure if the motor can handle 4s ether, from my calculations it should. Good thing I am getting two though.

You have a watt meter to test it out.

Christopher14

So to be responsible I have built a smaller version if the Voodoo to get the to get the rough flight characteristics and CG for the big one so I will have a chance of it actually flying.

Wingspan: 500mm
Length: 475mm
Weight: 105grams ready to go.

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

Christopher14

105 g man what do you have in that thing. I thought my chip was light

I have:

Prop: TGS Sport 4.75x4.75E
Motor: Turnigy 1811 11g 2900kv
ESC: Plush 10amp 9gram 2-4s
Battery: Turnigy Nano-tech 300mAh 2s 35-40c
Servo: Turnigy 1370 3.7gram analog.

This setup puts out about 130grams of thrust, I can do a vertical takeoff no problem.:D

Christopher14

I went out and flew the mini voodoo, except for a very little of adverse yaw it flies great!:) I can fix the adverse yaw problem with some differential though. It is fast to, or faster then I thought it would be. I am guessing 40-50mph. It is also does aerobatics pretty well, rolls and loops and a breeze. Rolling circles are fun to, it does them very well for a simple bank-and-yank airplane. It lands nice to, my 55% spit on the other hand is a heavy plane and you have to land it hot, all you have to do here is cut the throttle and pull full back and it just floats. It's a nice little fun flyer, there is practically no stress factor at all. Such a nice change from the spit.

jayz 84

I went out and flew the mini voodoo, except for a very little of adverse yaw it flies great!:) I can fix the adverse yaw problem with some differential though. It is fast to, or faster then I thought it would be. I am guessing 40-50mph. It is also does aerobatics pretty well, rolls and loops and a breeze. Rolling circles are fun to, it does them very well for a simple bank-and-yank airplane. It lands nice to, my 55% spit on the other hand is a heavy plane and you have to land it hot, all you have to do here is cut the throttle and pull full back and it just floats. It's a nice little fun flyer, there is practically no stress factor at all. Such a nice change from the spit.

You have a high wing aircraft and no rudder. Theres not much you can do to fix adverse yaw. Are you getting the effect in both directions of aileron roll?

jayz 84

I would try more weight or a larger vstab. And maybe a tad more nose weight. Were you flying in any wind? Cause you being so light and the voodoo being a glider design with a larger wing you will get. That effect

Christopher14

I think I will try some more weight like you suggested, and when flew it for the first time it was nose-heavy. Yes there was some wind, and it handled it like a much bigger plane. The interesting thing was when I went into a 30 degree climb and rolled it on it's side it would knife edge.

Last edited:

brian79cj

Ill be doing a small setup like in the photo. You run a stright wire in the wing to the ailerons View attachment 36092

And i really like the chip.. but i might do a 55% edge 540 or mxs-r

Jayz when you say run a straight wire in the wing to the ailerons do you put bends in like a torsion bar type setup? What size or type of wire? I have seen it somewhere on the forums but can't find it now. I want to try ailerons on my Mini Scout.

jayz 84

I think I will try some more weight like you suggested, and when flew it for the first time it was nose-heavy. Yes there was some wind, and it handled it like a much bigger plane. The interesting thing was when I went into a 30 degree climb and rolled it on it's side it would knife edge like crazy.

Thats just the effect you will get with a flat wing. The voodoo is just a high powered glider so youll find alot different. The faster they go the better they will fly. And the faster they react

Christopher14

Jayz when you say run a straight wire in the wing to the ailerons do you put bends in like a torsion bar type setup? What size or type of wire? I have seen it somewhere on the forums but can't find it now. I want to try ailerons on my Mini Scout.

Hi brian, I think I can explain. I did something similar on a mini FT Spitfire I built for indoor flying. What I did: I took a piece of 1.2mm wire and bent a 90 degree angle at the end about 25mm long, then I placed the 90 degree bend laying flat on the middle of the aileron with the rest of the wire pointing toward the other wingtip, and measured to the side of the fuselage and put another 90 degree bend in the wire about 28mm long pointing up through the fuselage so one bend was horizontal with the aileron and the other bend is vertical going up through the fuselage. I then hooked up a servo in roughly the same way as in the picture jayz84 posted.

If any of this is confusing just ask away, I would be glad to help.

jayz 84

I cant explain much at work right now. But the best wire ive used for it would the the surveyor marking flags. Its the only thing ive found that dosent flex easily. If you really would like this idea soon i can do a example for you later. Or if you can wait ill be starting my build soon. Just let me know. Im glad to help

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Christopher, If your radio is programmable than you can add differential in the mixing and save yourself the trouble of cutting a new tail. You just need less upward travel on your ailerons.