DTFB Voodoo

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Christopher, If your radio is programmable than you can add differential in the mixing and save yourself the trouble of cutting a new tail. You just need less upward travel on your ailerons.

Do you mean less downward movement? When I roll the plane to the left the right aileron makes more drag then the left then causing the plane to do a knife edge like turn. The exact same thing happens when I roll to the right as well. And yes, I do have a programable radio. A Turnigy 9X to be exact.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
hmm, that's not typically how adverse yaw works, but in this case I think you would need less downward movement. Usually the aileron that moves up produces more drag due to the air on the top of the airfoil being accelerated via Bernoulli's Principal. However, if you are getting an upward turn when banked (the plane's nose is coming up when left aileron is applied, correct?) you need less downward deflection.

Christopher14

When you bank left, the left aileron comes up. If the nose goes up when I bank left, the right aileron that went down is creating more drag hence the knife edge effect.

EDIT: The knife edge effect happens in both directions of roll.

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
When you bank left, the left aileron comes up. If the nose goes up when I bank left, the right aileron that went down is creating more drag hence the knife edge effect.

EDIT: The knife edge effect happens in both directions of roll.

Your big prob is your ailerons are to big. If you want long ailerons then they have to be thin. Larger ailerons create alot of drag specially if you have to much throw on them. (Which gives you the 3d flying characteristic and air brakes, effect) your ailerons need very little throw when speed is the choice in flight. Your elevator gives you the hard turns you are looking for with just the right amount of aileron applied ( hence bank, then yank!)

Christopher14

The mini Voodoo is not for speed, just for fun flying. On the big Voodoo I will certainly do some differential mixing and flaperons. The mini Voodoo has only one servo for both ailerons so I can't do anything there unless I moved the control horns.

jayz 84

Jayz when you say run a straight wire in the wing to the ailerons do you put bends in like a torsion bar type setup? What size or type of wire? I have seen it somewhere on the forums but can't find it now. I want to try ailerons on my Mini Scout.

Some more advice for you on this idea. Really the torsion setup dose work well but you have to know that the servo is inside the fuse (center wing) so you would have to build your fuse then install the wing then install the servo. So you would need access to it. To set it up. The torsion setup is alittle tight for a 55% fuse but can be done. I can still show you how to set it up for a full undercamber wing. But i think it would be far easier and lighter to just install two 3.5 gram servos in the under camber( normal placement like the fullsize planes) it will not affect you flight in any way. I think thats a much better idea to sute you, thats what i would do... im only considering the torsion setup cause its easy to replace the servo. I only build full wings (no undercamber) so if i break a servo thats built in then im screwed

RcNoob123

Very Very New Pilot
Your big prob is your ailerons are to big. If you want long ailerons then they have to be thin. Larger ailerons create alot of drag specially if you have to much throw on them. (Which gives you the 3d flying characteristic and air brakes, effect) your ailerons need very little throw when speed is the choice in flight. Your elevator gives you the hard turns you are looking for with just the right amount of aileron applied ( hence bank, then yank!)

They basically turn into flaps!

Christopher14

Here's a quick update: I ordered the new motor and props yesterday, they should be here before Christmas. The first flight will be after Christmas most likely, I also moved the V-stab back about 30mm.

P1010009.JPG

brian79cj

Some more advice for you on this idea. Really the torsion setup dose work well but you have to know that the servo is inside the fuse (center wing) so you would have to build your fuse then install the wing then install the servo. So you would need access to it. To set it up. The torsion setup is alittle tight for a 55% fuse but can be done. I can still show you how to set it up for a full undercamber wing. But i think it would be far easier and lighter to just install two 3.5 gram servos in the under camber( normal placement like the fullsize planes) it will not affect you flight in any way. I think thats a much better idea to sute you, thats what i would do... im only considering the torsion setup cause its easy to replace the servo. I only build full wings (no undercamber) so if i break a servo thats built in then im screwed

Thanks Jayz
Think I will try the 2 servos out on wings

Christopher14

I just got the motor and props in the mail today. I mounted the motor to the Voodoo and tested it, all I can say is wow. Having a motor spinning at close to 50,000rpm is rather cool. I flew it and it was extremely nose-heavy, I landed it without damaging it to bad though. Just some little wrinkles on the nose. I will be heading out to the grass landing strip and flying it again tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics soon.

jayz 84

Looks good man now wheres the video. ;). I got my 2750kv motor last friday. And im allmost done with mini chip v2

Christopher14

Looks good man now wheres the video. ;). I got my 2750kv motor last friday. And im allmost done with mini chip v2

Thanks! I will shoot the video as soon as possible. Are you going to run a 3s battery and a 5x5 APC on the mini chip V2?

jayz 84

heheheh, I cant wait to see that!:D

Hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Ive been really under the weather Sence yesterday morning so no promises. And will be out of town this weekend (maybe if me and my kids are feeling better)

Christopher14

Hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Ive been really under the weather Sence yesterday morning so no promises. And will be out of town this weekend (maybe if me and my kids are feeling better)

I'm sorry to hear that, I ain't too keen on feeling sick ether. I also figured out a spar for the Voodoo, after flying it this morning I gained about a degree of dihedral. I ended up using a small hacksaw blade, it's light and extremely strong. Here are some pics:

P1010002.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010007.JPG