DUAL RATES AND EXPO FOR BEGINNERS

Excalibre

Late Learner
Apologies Admin if this is in the wrong place but could not see anywhere better to post it

As a beginner I have found the subject of dual rates and expo to be not only confusing but full of mixed messages when doing some research.
I would appreciate any and all comments regarding what should be the best settings for someone when they are learning to fly a fixed wing aircraft. ;););)

tamuct01

Dual rates and expo settings are largely personal preference of the pilot. I can provide you with my recommendations, and how I typically setup my planes.

Expo (exponential):
This setting alters how sensitive the sticks are around the center point. It does not alter the total throw of the servo movement. It alters the default linear curve to one that either is less sensitive (positive expo) or more sensitive (negative expo) around the middle point. Typically, I start with 30% for all my aircraft on all surfaces, and then alter as deemed necessary. This allows for a little more stick movement around the middle for more precise flying. Typically 25-40% expo on control surfaces is typical for beginners.

Dual (multi) rates:
Dual, or multiple, rates controls the total deflection of the control surface. On most of my models I setup 3 rates. This is mostly due to using a Taranis radio where most all the switches are 3 position. It allows me to setup a low, medium, and high throws on any or all of the control surfaces. For the Flite Test models, where typically only low and high deflections are published, I setup my multiple rates like this: Low rates match the Low throws specified in the build, Mid rates match the high throws specified, and high rates utilize the maximum servo throws allowed without binding the servos. Think of it as low, high, and crazy.

By mixing your preferred expo and rate settings in the radio, you can instantly switch from precise control with lower throws to full aerobatics with high/extreme throws. The expo setting will assist in the sensitivity around mid-stick.

I hope that helps! I suggest that you start off with some safe recommendations, and then experiment to your liking as your experience grows. Good luck!

Irony

As a beginner myself I just couldn't get expo to work. It just seemed to make the aircraft more and more twitchy the more I added. Until I realised some radios use negative values for adding expo. So when people say add 30-50% expo and you happily put 30-50 into your transmitter be careful your not making the problem far worse. I now run at -60 expo on my Fly Sky i6 transmitter and the aircraft is much more controllable.

tamuct01

It alters the default linear curve to one that either is less sensitive (positive expo) or more sensitive (negative expo) around the middle point.

I tried to mention that there is positive and negative expo available in most radios. I know that in Taranis and Spektrum radios that positive expo is less sensitive in the middle and negative expo is more sensitive. Good to know that Flysky is inverted.

slipshift

I tried dual rates with my Taranis QX7 on the ClearView simulator and it was horrible, the planes were very sluggish and unresponsive. Everything flew better when I switched to full rates and no expo. I'm a beginner and have always flown with expo and reduced rates and the planes flew just as poorly as they did on the simulator. The next time I try flying I'll do it full on and see what happens.

Jim

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Dual rates, and variable expo help deal with speed ranges. To get the airplane to pitch, a little, you need a little force. At low speeds, that takes a LOT of control surface travel. At high speeds, you might not even see the surface move.

Expo, gets you access to "varying levels" of control surface reaction without needing to flip a switch. Expo can also be used to compensate for non linear control surface responses.

... I think this needs a video to demonstrate.

slipshift

Nerobro, that make a lot of sense. Being a newb, I tend to fly very slow. Usually stalling out, and of course, being a newb, I would give it full up elevator to keep it in the air. I know better now.

Jim

Excalibre

Late Learner
Great comments guys thanks heaps. However its these variables that are confusing. I wish some one would just do a simplistic video explaining what each variable is and you could actually see what they were talking about.
Some of these cases even require that you move the position of the clip on the horn, thus giving more or less in one direction, then there are others that require mixing of the rudder and ailerons so they work in tandem....... Befuzzzzzeled.....

Last edited: