Durafly Tundra, My First Impressions

MrClean

The Durafly Ugly Stick from HK is pretty light but other then that flies like any stick. Just go bang it around, it's already ugly.

I kinda thought the plastic engine was cute. You should see folks hop when I put the plane down to fly and leave it. Folks will walk up to look at it or look at it from afar, obviously I've gone back to get my starter or nistarter. Then when the prop starts turning on their own it just bugs the snot out of em. Saw one guy jump, I didn't let him get close enough to get his hands close to a live prop. The gear is mounted into a plastic bottom with two itty bitty machine screws. I don't have hopes that it will stay there for long on a non paved surface or on a paved surface with one of my more eventful arrivals. But as of now I've got about 50 flights on it and I haven't any complaints.

Like I said, it's a stick, go fly it. Easily the most popular thing Phil Kraft ever did, make a competent plane and just a competent plane, function over form. Everyone has had a Cub, a P-51 and an Ugly Stick. Two of those are from misconceptions or love of the greatest combat airplane. One is because the darn thing works so good and is just ugly enough not to worry about. As we all know, ugly planes fly so much better then their prettier, brand new counterparts.

Kilo Kilo

The Durafly Ugly Stick [...] The gear is mounted into a plastic bottom with two itty bitty machine screws. I don't have hopes that it will stay there for long on a non paved surface or on a paved surface with one of my more eventful arrivals. But as of now I've got about 50 flights on it and I haven't any complaints.
planes fly so much better then their prettier, brand new counterparts.

You got more flights out of it than I did, but I fly from rough gravel and grass. Ripped the plastic mount out after about 3 flights. Hot-glued it back in and then drilled the holes out and ran two larger bolts up through it into the foam and hot glued them into place. Worked fine after that, but I've since disassembled it to convert to a tricycle.

BobK

Banned
The Durafly Ugly Stick from HK is pretty light but other then that flies like any stick. Just go bang it around, it's already ugly.

I kinda thought the plastic engine was cute. You should see folks hop when I put the plane down to fly and leave it. Folks will walk up to look at it or look at it from afar, obviously I've gone back to get my starter or nistarter. Then when the prop starts turning on their own it just bugs the snot out of em. Saw one guy jump, I didn't let him get close enough to get his hands close to a live prop. The gear is mounted into a plastic bottom with two itty bitty machine screws. I don't have hopes that it will stay there for long on a non paved surface or on a paved surface with one of my more eventful arrivals. But as of now I've got about 50 flights on it and I haven't any complaints.

Like I said, it's a stick, go fly it. Easily the most popular thing Phil Kraft ever did, make a competent plane and just a competent plane, function over form. Everyone has had a Cub, a P-51 and an Ugly Stick. Two of those are from misconceptions or love of the greatest combat airplane. One is because the darn thing works so good and is just ugly enough not to worry about. As we all know, ugly planes fly so much better then their prettier, brand new counterparts.

I wasn't saying the Ugly Stick was a bad plane, in fact it is a great one, I am just never impressed with the cheap knockoffs of the real thing. I can see the dummy engine being fun to mess with people, but that is it. If they are going to put a dummy engine on for any kind of eye appeal it should have been a radial.

I was very impressed with how the Tundra did in the wind.

The Tundra does seem to handle some wind, I wasn't talking about the Tundra earlier.

kacknor

Build another!
Over $200 shipped for a plane like the Tundra or $185 shipped for the Ugly Stick isn't exactly cheap.

Not disagreeing. $200 is not cheap for me. Got a bud here in town, got me going in this hobby really. He flies $600 to $800 stuff with guys that launch $1000 - $10,000 "Hobbies" into the air. YIKES!

I felt surprisingly nervous controlling the Tundra at 2 bills. I normally have between $50 and a $100 tied up on a piece of foam.

JD

BobK

Banned
Not disagreeing. $200 is not cheap for me. Got a bud here in town, got me going in this hobby really. He flies $600 to $800 stuff with guys that launch $1000 - $10,000 "Hobbies" into the air. YIKES!

I felt surprisingly nervous controlling the Tundra at 2 bills. I normally have between $50 and a $100 tied up on a piece of foam.

JD

$200 isn't bad if you have something you really like and enjoy, now if you were throwing $600+ up I wouldn't say what I just did lol ;) You have the skills to fly it and the knowledge to fix it so it isn't a bad purchase for you. For me it is tough because I know what I can build and put together for what the Tundra costs..but, I come from a different time in radio control, a time before places like HK were around. I will be completely honest, I remember the days when things were made to be quality and felt like quality products, I do not get that with todays products, and HK's shipping costs are completely outragous and I have a hard time throwing $70+ to have something shipped.

I am not downing anyone or anything, I just know the difference. The original Ugly Stick design was and always will be a fantastic airplane, to me the Durafly one is a very cheaply made but very expensive poor attempt of the real thing. Having built, flown, crashed, and rebuilt the real deal has ruined me I guess because I would never drop $110 on the Durafly one.

But, times are different now and I need to remember that. If I want a quality product that satisfies me I have to build it, I no longer have the choice to buy it because it is no longer out there unless it is old stock. Newer people in the hobby see what is available today and just buy it.

I mentioned that HK should replace your broken stab and I said that purposely because I didn't know if you would. Think about how much it would actually cost them to replace it..pretty much next to nothing, and frankly for $70+ in shipping there should not be any broken pieces and fully insured.

kacknor

Build another!
knacnor did you fly the tundra again if so do you have video

Dang, I missed this. I did get it flying again, then staled on short and tore the wing mount screw holes. Fixed it again and waited weeks for the wind to stop! Day before yesterday I got it into the air in the morning...

Ended up in a tree.

It was the fourth battery however, and save for a new strut on the way, it's still flyable!

JD