Dynam Catalina

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've been watching the GearBest website quite a bit since they've been expanding their selection. Recently they've added a bunch of Dynam planes to their inventory and hopefully I can get one from them to review at some time in the near future. The two main ones for me would be the Catalina and the Beaver. Since I've now got a fantastic pond to fly from a short drive from home these planes would be perfect! The sound of the twin motors on the Catalina is extra appealing as it should match the Cessna "Grand Cruiser" by Dynam already in my hangar. Twins just have a cool sound!

20160415170449_72035.jpg

Features (copied from the website):
● Dual 2815 motors combined with three-bladed propellers, providing plenty of power.
● The main wing can be detachable, convenient to carry. You can assemble the wing by tightening the screws, or disassemble by loosening the screws.
● 1470mm wingspan provides small wing loading, great lift force, short takeoff distance, long airborne period, and strong wind resistance capability.
● Compatible with 3s 2200mAh to 3300mAh batteries, can fly for about 8 minutes by using the 3s 2200mAh batteries, enjoy more time with your plane.
● It is perfect for flying on the lake in summer.

Wingspan: 1470mm ( 58 inch )
Length: 940mm ( 37 inch )
Taking off weight: 1300g
Motor: 2 x BM2815A - KV1100 brushless
Battery: 11.1V 2200mAh 20C Li-Po
ESC: 2 x 30A
Servo: 4 x 9g
Wing load: 44g / square decimeter

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've got one and it's cool...

I think craftydan even got to see it fly some

I think it needs counter rotating props though... just doesn't seem to like turning in one direction (Don't recall which one at the moment)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Interesting - some people claim the prop rotation makes a difference and others say it doesn't matter. Maybe being on water it's more sensitive to it. My Dynam Grand Cruiser doesn't seem to care that props rotate the same direction and it handles great in the stock form.

How is it for flight time and power for taking off? My only water plane so far has been a Hobby Zone Super Cub on floats, and when the battery starts getting low it really becomes noticeable with sluggish performance on take-off.