Eachine AIO FPV system range

Skillless

Hi everyone,

some time ago I had the idea of taking a look into this whole FPV stuff and figured the best thing to start is to get the smallest, lightest and cheapest i can get, stick it on top of my RTF quad from the toystore and see how it goes. So I ordered the Eachine VR-007 goggles and a Eachine MC-01 All-In-One camerasystem, which is the camera, 25mw 5,8ghz transmitter and a small cloverleaf antenna in one. When I tried it inside my appartment it was a lot of fun. Even without any experience I was surprised how well it worked. Last week i decided to get it outside and stick it on top of my Viggen just to try out how it works on a fixed wing and I was disappointed by the range I got out of this combination. I placed the goggles in front of me to use them like a mini screen and flew LOS and I had to notice I got only about 15 to 20m of clear image, after that it cut out pretty fast even though there were no obstacles or (known) broadcasting towers or such around.

My question is: Is this normal or am I doing anything wrong? I connected the camera to a seperate 1s lipo and also I have to mention I changed the stick antenna to a cloverleaf on the goggles, too.

Please note that I am not complaining or anything. I deliberately bought the cheapest stuff I could find, just to have a look into it. If you tell me this is normal I'm totally ok with it but I always thought that even a 25mw system would at least reach a 100-ish (meters) kind of distance as soon as there are no disturbances around.

Please FPV Pros, enlighten me on this topic.;)

Thanks

Julian

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That does seem pretty short-ranged. I'm wondering . . .

EDF or prop Viggen?

How close is the VTX to the motor? ESC? Have you tried a walking range test (set the plane down, grab the goggles and walk away from it)

Any buildings near your pilot station?

Have a matched antenna on your ground station? Any damage to either antenna?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I have been flying those 25mw AIO systems for a couple months. Your experience is commensurate with what I know to be the norm.

On the upside, there is now a 200mw AIO system in that same form factor for similar price on banggood. While the range is better, it still might not be enough for fixed wing ranges.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hmm, I have one of those 25mw aio units on a micro-skyhunter and at 30 to 40 meter get static and breaks but nothe complete outage. I could fly out further but hadn't tried. What crafty Dan says about checking your setup makes sense. I would add that you should check the tightness of the vrx antenna and make sure the connectors are compatible. RP-SMA vs SMA

Skillless

First of all, thanks for your replys.

For the antenna connectors, I am pretty sure i got the right ones. Still it may be a good idea to see if I can get hold of another antenna to see if something changes.

The Viggen is a fairly underpowered EDF version with VTX is mounted on the front of the hatch, placing it about 20cm from the ESC and a good 40cm from the motor. I think the best thing to determine if there's any interference with the other electronics is to make two ground test, one with the model powered up (and maybe slowly runnig motor) and one with only the FPV system. I will try that as soon as I am out in the field again. I think doing that downtown in the street will earn me some pretty confused glances (apart from the problems the buildings may cause).

As to what TEAJR66 said: I would love to fly a more powerful system then the 25mw ones in the future, but unfotunately it is forbidden to do so in germany, I think even with a radio license.

Again, thanks for your ideas. I'm excited to see if I can achieve an improvement. If not, well I'm ok with fooling around with a tiny whoop or such in the backyard and going back to flying LOS when it comes to fixed wings.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Also make sure channels are correctly matched. This sounds more like you may be using a different band and the channel selected is close enough to bleed over up close but not for any distance on only 25 mw. Make sure both band and channels match. Also make sure you are using a matched set of cloverleafs as you will have huge problems if one is left hand and the other right hand polarized.