Eachine EV800 FPV Visor - First Impressions

Gryf

Hi, all.

After watching a bunch of reviews, I ordered and received an Eachine EV800 visor for my first foray into FPV. Two things drew me to this one... first, the price. I ordered it from Walmart online for $62.00, with free shipping. The specs are comparable to a lot of other visors out there, but nobody else came close on the price. I see it's now listed for $82, but FWIW, here's the link.

And here's the unit itself:

20170413_121543.jpg

The other cool thing about this visor is that you can detach the electronic bit from the magnifier, and use it as a separate monitor. There's even a threaded tripod hole on the bottom:

20170413_121608.jpg

The only real downside I've found so far is that you can't use this device while wearing glasses, and without my glasses, the image is way blurry. If I hold it about five inches from my face, the focus is fine... similarly, if I detach the monitor and hold it a few inches away from the magnifier section, ditto... nice and clear. Weird, because I use my Samsung Gear VR all the time - no glasses, no problem. But it has lenses for optics, not a fresnel lens like this one. Whatever.

So I fiddled around with an old set of reading glasses, and came up with the following... I slotted two small blocks of packing foam, and there you go. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a definite improvement:

20170413_121712.jpg

So far I've used this setup with my Inductrix FPV quad, and it's really nice. It also tests good with the Hyperion camera/VTX combo, which I hope to use with my planes.

Anyway, for an entry-level FVP setup, this one's well worth looking into. The major players are beyond my budget (read, FatShark, etc.), so this one got my attention. There are lots of good reviews online.

Cheers,

Gryf

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I've seen a lot of peoples do the glasses trick, I guess with a fair bit of hacking you can make it an adjustable lens too.
My friend ordered those and he should get them soon so that will make some nice fpv formation flying once we build his spear.