Eagle 2 Electric conversion and rebuild

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
So a year ago a buddy of mine gave me his Eagle 2 balsa build. He no longer flies and it was taking up space. Only thing missing was the motor and the servo for the wing. There was some damage to the covering on the wings so that needed to be fixed. It even had all the 72 radio stuff as well.
So I decided to upgrade everything. From radio system to the motor. I'll power up the servos tomorrow to see if they all work. If they do I'll take the throttle control servo and move that into the wing. Here are some pictures
IMG_5237.JPG IMG_5238.JPG IMG_5239.JPG IMG_5240.JPG IMG_5242.JPG IMG_5243.JPG IMG_5244.JPG IMG_5246.JPG IMG_5247.JPG IMG_5248.JPG IMG_5249.JPG IMG_5250.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5242.JPG
    IMG_5242.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5243.JPG
    IMG_5243.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5244.JPG
    IMG_5244.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Looks like a fun project. I have an Eagle 2 that I built with intention to go to electric. I would take off the motor mount plate and fabricate a new one that will accept the motor you are intending to use. I used a 0.46 size electric motor on 4S with an 11x8 prop. The issue I had was the can was wider than the motor support mounts. My motor mount was fabricated to have the motor above them and the change in thrust line did nothing to the flight characteristics. You could use bent aluminum for this but I used wood. I can post some pictures for reference if you need it.

Notnewton

Eagle 2 Conversion

I converted this kit this spring. This plane flys great on the ntm 3548-900kv motor with a 1260 prop. I wouldn't recommend this motor unless you don't mind changing the bearings though. Find an equivalent motor and it fits right in with a custom built motor mount. I get 8-10 minutes on a 4000 4S with reserves for extra when the strip is in use. Good luck on yours.

gabrielete

Good luck, I love old planes. It's great to see them flying again!

I wish you good luck on this project. Are you going to put an electric motor? I my opinion this kind of planes look better with a glow engine, looks more authentic, but it's great both ways.

I recently bought and restored a really old "Modelhob Jabato" and I'm really happy to fly a plane that it's at least 21 years old.

IMG-20151130-WA0022.jpg

I think yours must be very similar.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
going electric for the simple fact I have no where to fly that allows gas/nitro. Most are small fields or parks and have restrictions about them

gabrielete

But that battery is for the servos and the reciever. It takes all day flying to discharge it. It's not a big dramma it takes that long....

aeroncalover

It shouldn't do that....
Looks like fun! I started rebuilding a PT-40 this summer with a clubmate so that we could use it as a club trainer. We are putting the original OS-40 back on because it had never been run before and it seemed like a waste not to use it. The construction the the PT-40 and this look identical! Have fun with it!

kacknor

Build another!
But that battery is for the servos and the reciever. It takes all day flying to discharge it. It's not a big dramma it takes that long....

I wouldn't put a dime on that battery being able to take a charge after sitting for a few years. No matter. Converting (Upgrading?) to all electric eliminates it anyway.

going electric for the simple fact I have no where to fly that allows gas/nitro. Most are small fields or parks and have restrictions about them

I'm fortunate to live near an almost public field where I could fly darn near any size/motor. For now, even if I could afford the hardware, I've no desire to try nitro. They are very cool to watch but I prefer to crash something I can laugh about and try again later...

JD

CrashRecovery

Mentor
This wont be a regular flyer for me. I think it will only fly when I get out to wilsonman's field or flitefest.