Goldberg Eagle 2 Rescue & Re-Build

OliverW

Legendary member
Did some more digging on this problem pull the carb and check to make sure the vacuum hole to run the fuel pump line up. There was a manufactures defect, the pump was not getting enough vacuum check gasket under carb.
It is a front carb. We have done all of the above before and it still struggles. Sorry Joker about the thread hijack.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Successful Maiden Report! :)

I've been waiting for good weather for over a month, and today was darn near perfect! Sunny, winds under 5 MPH, and a sod farm to fly at.

The NGH 9cc fired right up and was running nice, so I picked a nice spot for take-off and gave it the spurs. I was taking off on smooth, hard-packed dirt (where the sod was recently harvested) so I didn't need full throttle. Maybe 2/3 throttle is all I used since the engine is still new. She rolled along and lifted off easily, and the surfaces had plenty of authority for controlled flight.

Flight #1 was about 9 minutes and needed minimal trim for level flight at 1/2 throttle. Once trimmed out I found it would maintain straight and level flight easily at around 1/3 throttle. I added a little gas in the turns to avoid a stall, just in case. The extra weight of the plane really helped the stability, and coming in for a landing was completely uneventful. The engine ran well, although it seemed a tiny bit lean at higher throttle settings. I richened up the high end about 1/32 of a turn to see if that would improve how it ran.

Flight #2 was again about 9 minutes of simple patterns and varied throttle settings. The tiny amount of tuning after the first flight appeared to do the trick and it was running very well. It'll still get a little extra tuning as it breaks in. Gas is still the 20:1 mix and there is plenty of residue down the side of the plane after a flight. Eventually, after the engine is broken in, I'll see about going with a lighter mix to see if that helps.

Overall I'm thrilled with how the plane flies and how well the engine runs. Total run time was about 18 minutes, and I used up far less than one tank of gas total! I'm guessing I could get close to 30 minutes of flight if I wanted to run it at low speed and just do laps around the field. :)

thumbnail_IMG_1530.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It looks beautiful out in the sun. Looks like you have a great flying airplane. Isn't it nice having one you can fly without having an anxiety attack? :)

The color combination really works well for orientation, and it's very visible out on a sunny day. You're certainly correct about it being nice to fly without the anxiety! Even my big Cubs give me some worry as I'm flying, but this one just cruises along. I'm still assuming it's a combination of a good design and a heavy build. :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yet another update as I charge the batteries again for flying tomorrow. I'm running two separate 2300mAh 5cell NiMh batteries - one for the ignition module and one for the receiver & servos. After about 20 minutes total run time which included about 18 minutes of flight, each pack was down only about 375mAh. While not exact, I'm guessing that one one charge I could fly over an hour and burn about 16 ounces in gas/oil (roughly $0.50 USD). That's substantially lower cost-per-hour than a comparable .40 glow, although the gas engine and required electronics do cost quite a bit more than a glow setup... :)

Bricks

Master member
Gas over Glow if you fly a lot it will save money in the long run, glow fuel is getting harder and harder to find with out ordering it..……..Only thing is I LOVE the smell of Nitro

Now if they could just get the price down on 4 stroke gasoline engines I would be in heaven Nothing cooler then some of the old model planes idling with a 4 stroke on it, I have an old Wayfarer biplane that I am putting a Evolution 10CC gas on it but it would be so much better with a 4 stroker on it.

enio

Hello Joker.
Can you tell me what was the final weight of the Eagle II with the gasoline engine.

Thank you

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hello Joker.
Can you tell me what was the final weight of the Eagle II with the gasoline engine.

Thank you

No idea what it ended up at, but it's heavier than the manufacturer calls for. Two batteries instead of one, an ignition module for the gas engine, some weight from repairs, etc. But that extra weight gives me good stability during flight so it's not too bad.