ebay selling flite test stuff

HawkMan

Well as long as FT gives away the designs as basically open source not only is there little they can do to stop it, they are perfectly able to do it. especially if they make them themselves, if they resell FT produced stuff, then you could make an argument that they're depleting FT's own stores to sell at a premium, but it's hardly worth it.

HawkMan

Seeing as he's selling 0.01 dollar less than FT, I'm guess he has or has access to a laser cutter and is making them himself and selling.

Arguable all the FT parts should be labelled as FT like the motor mount and there should probably have been info about what FT is and a link in the description as well. But again, I don't think there's much they can do about it, other than ask him and hope the honor system is intact with modelers, he's american so they may have better luck than if it was a chinese.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I looked at the seller info... The name is scratchbuilds and in his/her 'collections' is a laser cutter for $56.00. I'd say its just someone that copied the FT parts and is just taking money away from FT.

I don't hold that type of profiteering in very high regard. There's not even credit to FT because that would take away business from this knockoff seller.

I wouldn't say they're not doing any business. They have 166 positive reviews. I don't know the typical ratio for sales to reviews but it has to mean a fair number of sales.

I don't think there would really be any value in labeling official FT parts. Just buy from FT and stores endorsed by FT and you know you've put your money where it belongs.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One thing I don't think is ok is using the official "FT Elements" name for his parts, since that is a FliteTest product name.

Also he could do a lot more business if he mentioned FliteTest. First because people look for that name, second because people would also buy more kits from FliteTest and needed more FT elements which he sells.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
FT is now owned by a corporation who is amply able to defend their brand name if need be! ;)

I did notify the seller and state that he should not use "FliteTest" unless he is a company representative.
We will see if he reply's. Who knows, he may even show up in this thread!

Thurmond

Last edited:

HawkMan

Well as long as FT releases the plans for anyone to use and sell and haven't trademarked the names, there's not much they can do.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The seller DID remove the FliteTest references from his auctions it would appear! He is still using some FliteTest names but only as a descriptor of what the part is for such as "Versa Wing Conversion firewall" ....etc.

Thurmond

Last edited:

RandomChaos

I could maybe understand is he was making them overseas to make it easier and cheaper for others to obtain the parts, but in the US? Just buy from FT, helps keep everything running! I kinda wish FT would provide the control horns and firewalls as 3D printed parts as well.

Teirdome

I am really curious about the copyright implications of what this person is doing. I don't know much about copyright law of designs/physical objects, but it is one of the most interesting hurdles our society will need to figure out in the era of 3d printing. If someone has some legal insight, I'm very curious, and also curious how FT could protect themselves from these kinds of stores.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I could maybe understand is he was making them overseas to make it easier and cheaper for others to obtain the parts, but in the US? Just buy from FT, helps keep everything running! I kinda wish FT would provide the control horns and firewalls as 3D printed parts as well.

What do you mean by "as 3D printed parts"? Files or sell 3D printed versions of firewalls and control horns?

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I don't think there would really be any value in labeling official FT parts. Just buy from FT and stores endorsed by FT and you know you've put your money where it belongs.

Well nearly everybody here (myself included) buys knockoff stuff from the knockoff king: HK.
(orange RX, and many other things)

So yeah.

(note this is not an attack to you, I just want to put "buying knockoff" in perspective).

SnowRocker88

Well nearly everybody here (myself included) buys knockoff stuff from the knockoff king: HK.
(orange RX, and many other things)

So yeah.

(note this is not an attack to you, I just want to put "buying knockoff" in perspective).

I will assume you also understand the reason for concern tho. It cuts a little closer to heart if you know it's a small business that is really just doing what they can for the community vs Traxxas or Spektrum or any other big company that is turning major profits each year...

SnowRocker88

Sure, I agree. So where do we draw the line?

Depends on who "we" happens to be. If it were MY product for MY company I would handle it as well as I could. Traxxas and Specktrum have lawyers working on this stuff on a daily basis. Flite Test? Up to the business group.

"We" as a consumer should just stay away from it. (Especially as there is no discount to be had. :p)

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
What I meant was, when is it OK to buy a knockoff, and when is it not? When is a brand so 'big' that it is (apparently) OK to buy knockoff? When/why is it justified? For some people it is a principal thing, they don't buy anything but the original product (like spektrum products), no matter how high the cost. I guess it depends on loyalty to brands, and the size of the wallet of the particular person (consumer) involved.

Also, HK is for example selling "rotor bits", which is kind of a knockoff to the rotor bones from FT. And while Josh/Chad say it's OK with them, deep inside I think they don't like it. I know I wouldn't. Even while FT has free plans online, it does take away profit if people buy knockoff instead of FT products.

SnowRocker88

What I meant was, when is it OK to buy a knockoff, and when is it not? When is a brand so 'big' that it is (apparently) OK to buy knockoff? When/why is it justified? For some people it is a principal thing, they don't buy anything but the original product (like spektrum products), no matter how high the cost. I guess it depends on loyalty to brands, and the size of the wallet of the particular person (consumer) involved.

Also, HK is for example selling "rotor bits", which is kind of a knockoff to the rotor bones from FT. And while Josh/Chad say it's OK with them, deep inside I think they don't like it. I know I wouldn't. Even while FT has free plans online, it does take away profit if people buy knockoff instead of FT products.

As far as Josh and Chad go personally...I don't think they're in it to make money. At least, from what I understand, they are not in the business to make a lot of money. They do what they do to get more people into the hobby affordably. I honestly think they would be happy if they saw FT parts for sale somewhere else for cheaper than they could produce them. It would mean people were saving money to spend on more planes or electronics or paint or hot glue...etc.

BUT, I'm sure the new owners of the company would likely have a differing opinion. For me, personally, I buy what I can afford. Certain things you need to invest in so you buy the name, other things that don't matter as much can be bought elsewhere (knockoff). I have a Spektrum radio and 4ch receiver. I also have a knock-off 6ch Spektrum receiver as a backup.

It's all a matter of perception and expectation. You cannot hold a knockoff product to the standards of quality of the real deal and you can't hold the knockoff vendor to the standards of service of the real deal. So, the question becomes can I afford to be cheap here? Or in come cases it is "can I afford to not be cheap here"... If I want a "blackout" quad, I'd have to go knockoff or mostly DIY as I don't have $600 to spend on a toy.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I honestly think they would be happy if they saw FT parts for sale somewhere else for cheaper than they could produce them.

I don't think that is the case. You see, even if FT is non-profit, they still need money to do what they do, and one source of money is the store. So I just can't believe that they are "happy" to see knockoff brands of their own products.

To accept that there are knockoffs and not doing something about it is a different subject.

For the rest, I understand where you're coming from, and I see why you buy what you buy. And as I said, I'm guilty of buying knockoffs too :black_eyed:
Oh and by the way, sometimes the knockoff brand has better quality than the real deal. I've had this issue with bearings for the tail grips of my Align t-rex 450 (the true brand), the bearings were failing, and I bought Tarot knockoff tail grips which had good bearings.
(note: Align has many knockoffs, HK for example, but Tarot is the only knockoff with decent quality - it's also a knockoff that's more pricey than other knockoffs - still cheaper than Align though).