ebay selling flite test stuff

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I don't think that is the case. You see, even if FT is non-profit, they still need money to do what they do, and one source of money is the store. So I just can't believe that they are "happy" to see knockoff brands of their own products.

I think their main revenue is through the speed build kits and YouTube advertising. I doubt the markup on spare parts and ancellery items is much at all.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I guess that's a matter of time, before other companies start cutting foam board. Maybe FT should make a kind of open source license for their plans, only for private use or something. But this is complicated stuff, and I'm not into it so I don't know.
I even wonder how much cheaper you could cut foam board and sell it than the FT crew does now... :eek:

HawkMan

The thing is that they have released the designs as open designs and many are even based on other open designs.

So they can't really sue for copyright, they could sue based on trademark if they use the FT name to advertise the product, but even that I'm not sure about since I'm not a law person, after all they released it openly so anyone who use them need to use their name for them to be recognizable anyway.

And releasing open designs has been one of FT's big things so I don't see it changing. It's kind of a shit thing for the other guy to do, especially since he doesn't link back to FT, but not much they can do about it I think.

michelmagraner

That would be my case

I could maybe understand is he was making them overseas to make it easier and cheaper for others to obtain the parts, but in the US? Just buy from FT, helps keep everything running! I kinda wish FT would provide the control horns and firewalls as 3D printed parts as well.

That would be exactly my case, I just buyed a Laser cutter machine to start a laser cutting business (not particulary related to the hobby), Nevertheless since I'm a hobby enthusiast, I must certanly would like to contribute to expand the hobby here in my country (I don't live in the US), and I think that FT models are just ideal to do so, specially since the shipping of their kits from the US to here is more expensive than the kit itself.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind to put their logo in the my "knockoff" kits, since ultimately is their design and from my humble point of view, this could contribute to the positioning of their brand, and products in forain countries like this one. Off course I would love to do this with their blessing, in fact I wouldn't mind to make some sort of arrangement with FT at all in order to achieve this. Any ways this idea has been bugging me around for some time now, and I hope this message to gets to Josh, or any other FT member's ear and make a agreement. That would be fantastic! This guys are my heroes.

It would be great if I could be their representation outside the US, off course I would take care of all the quality control issues in order avoid affecting their brand by any means. But again, this is just an idea that I hope it could be materialized one day. :D

P.S. Sorry for my rusty poor English.
and happy fliying to all!
Michel

Damig

Quite Simply, Flite test is part of my family

Ok so I was looking on ebay and came across a ebay store selling flitetest products they are selling FT firewalls and FT control horns and the FT simple firewall

http://stores.ebay.com/scratchbuilds?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Yup, but, then, I don't buy from the FT guys to save money. They DO sell at a really fair price, and what they bring to me is so much more than dollars.

It's my choice, to support and buy from Flite Test. I just wish they have great success and continued FUN!!

Josh and Josh, Peter and ..that wacky Swede, DAVE!!!

Fun, just good clean fun. an I appreciate what Okie brings up as well

Has anyone actually watched the 2011 episode of Flite Test where they did a review of a foamboard kit of the BloodyMicks Funbat? That was a kit, for sale, with free plans available. Not only was it Flite Test's introduction to foamboard planes, but it was the basis for the Bloody Wonder. Openly. You can totally do that with free stuff posted online. That's why there's dozen's of vendors of ardupilots as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJQexvMq8V4

Bloody Micks

Not sure why you guys are so upset that someone did this to Flitetest? Why is it OK for Flitetest to sell someone elses kit without asking but its not OK for someone to sell laser cut wood parts?

At least they are selling parts for FT planes, they aren't taking an existing design, making a video telling people false info on where the design came from, renaming the design and selling it as their own. Not to mention one of the most popular kits sold if Flight Fest is any indication.

Just my 2 cents here.

Jon

TimmyGT

Not sure why you guys are so upset that someone did this to Flitetest? Why is it OK for Flitetest to sell someone elses kit without asking but its not OK for someone to sell laser cut wood parts?

At least they are selling parts for FT planes, they aren't taking an existing design, making a video telling people false info on where the design came from, renaming the design and selling it as their own. Not to mention one of the most popular kits sold if Flight Fest is any indication.

Just my 2 cents here.

Jon

Aaaaand......BOOM goes the dynamite!!

I always was a little uncomfortable watching that initial episode you are referring to, as well as the "FT" Flyer one as well...