Electrohub pancake with a side of GoPro squash

JamesNZ

Oh boy...

My latest quad (a spider style electrohub) has been a learning experience for me lately. I'm used to flying things with auto-leveling which I haven't bothered to enable on this yet, mostly due to wanting to get some real flying chops that don't rely on software to make me look good. Also not being able to find the software for Mac (as the link on RTF quads is dead) has been a contributor.

IMG_0923_zps2ecc4444.jpg

Over the past couple of weeks I've had a few crashes, mostly resulting in broken booms. It's gotten to a point where I feel totally comfortable flying around, banking in corners, negotiating out of any near-crashes etc etc. I can fly as fast as I can around the farm with ease. It's been great. I was comfortable enough that I built a little GoPro mount for and took it up for some video.

The video came out nice. It's cloudy but you can see some New Zealand countryside (this is a screengrab).

ScreenShot2014-12-13at115517AM_zps82fcfa08.png

The problem came on my fourth flight session for the day. I went up a little higher than I was comfortable with, but I figured it'd be fine. The wind caught it, so I slowly backed it back towards me and started bringing it down. Somewhere along the line I must have taken my eyes off the quad for a second and it must have flipped upside down (I must have been over-eager on bringing it back and rolled over). I only had the smallest amount of throttle on as it was coming down, so it was pretty much free-falling (which doesn't get very fast with these).

So of course when I got pretty close to the ground, I hit the throttle to slow it down, which instead sent it speeding downwards.

I realized and tried for a flip... but there wasn't enough time.

It broke three props, all four booms, ripped the wires out of a couple of the ESCs and off the Electrohub board... not good.

IMG_1035_zps932a2c69.jpg

This was a baaaad crash. I've re-soldered everything up but don't have props (or the correct sized booms). I made up a whole bunch which are 10mm... but they're far too skinny so I'm going to go up to 12 or 15. That combined with not having props means I'm not likely going to be flying for a while (depending on if I can source any local props, otherwise I'm waiting for an order from the states).

The good news, the motors all look fine, the ECS's don't LOOK damaged... and the rest, no worries (that's the joy of building your own... it's easy to fix!).

And my GoPro... lets just not talk about that :( lucky it was only an entry level one.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I like the way it broke up. Booms are easy to make. Looks like they took most of the shock of impact.

Did you have the gopro in its case??

STFDAC20

Man - Sorry to hear. I had a crash with mine this week at night. I just added LEDs and was loving it. Figured I moved to the side of the house to get away from the breeze. DUMB! It was just coming over the top of the house, as it always does... should have trusted my gut. Two booms and three props later... ordered the parts last night.

Where are you at in New Zealand? I lived/worked there for a Month in January of 2011 for my primary job. Loved it and will go back someday.

JamesNZ

I like the way it broke up. Booms are easy to make. Looks like they took most of the shock of impact.

Did you have the gopro in its case??

Yeah the booms seem to work like a crumple zone on a car. I had some guy telling me to get carbon fibre or aluminum ones... but given I just made a dozen more pairs and it cost me like $6 I think I'll stick with wood.

And the GoPro... nope... for some stupid reason... nope. The battery basically mushed the GoPro into the ground. Ugh.

JamesNZ

Man - Sorry to hear. I had a crash with mine this week at night. I just added LEDs and was loving it. Figured I moved to the side of the house to get away from the breeze. DUMB! It was just coming over the top of the house, as it always does... should have trusted my gut. Two booms and three props later... ordered the parts last night.

Where are you at in New Zealand? I lived/worked there for a Month in January of 2011 for my primary job. Loved it and will go back someday.

Oh no. At least they're easy to fix huh? I should put some LEDs on mine too...
I'm stuck waiting on parts too. I ordered a whole load more props... just in case. Had some trouble sourcing them locally.

I'm based out south of Auckland in New Zealand. Just out in the country. I love it here, but would rather be living in the south island. I'll end up moving there one day I'm sure.

JamesNZ

And it's back!!

After a couple of hours of soldering and repairs, everything still works. Just waiting on my props to arrive. I've only got three on hand, which doesn't get far on a quadcopter.

0874EBAF-F00F-466B-9E10-D1126217AB1C_zpsxnkhxq7s.jpg

D177C4F7-1311-44B7-BF94-A83EE43EF1D4_zpsndgfw2ln.jpg

STFDAC20

Nice recovery!

Looks great! I am still waiting on my booms and props to come. Hopefully this week. I am getting a table saw so I can make my own booms. :)

I spent my time in New Plymouth! Wife actually visited me while I was there and we loved it. We are planning to go back for a couple weeks, but have to wait until our boys are old enough. At 5 and 3, we really cannot take a three week vacation without them!

Enjoy the hobby!