Solved Engines won't fit in my Corsair, without silencer a extension - need a source for the Enya.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I recently bought a Corsair IC powered.
The seller removed the engine as I already had an OS20 FP to replace it and an Enya 30ss which was a possibly better alternative. I finally got around to attempting an engine install yesterday and decided I would try the OS20 FP first. To my disappointment it wouldn't fit, the silencer/muffler catches the front of the fuselage and to make matters worse the Enya 30ss wouldn't fit either.
1635476933463.png I have managed to track down an extension adapter (as in the picture) for the OS engine 20, which would have solved my problem. However, I ended up watched a guy on You Tube who bench tested the same engine and claimed it wasn't particularly powerful, so it was back to the Enya 30ss option.
started hunting for an extension for the Enya silencer, but so far I haven't had any luck. As you guys in the US are still keen on nitro's I was wondering if you know where I might source one of these parts ? or at least a part number so I can narrow my searching.
Any help would be gratefully received.

L Edge

Master member
Take a look at tuned pipes. This is for an OS setup and by the way, they make spacers as well, as well it adds about 800-1000 rpm's for extra power.

Two things to watch for is the dimension of the exhaust bolts for the engine and tuned pipe match.
Secondly, the bolts(usually metric) are long enough to retain the muffler.

Suggest that you deal with the company that makes them verses a dealer to insure every thing is a match. Had the same problem where I adapted a Formula 1 plane to clear the fiberglass body with a spacer to fit an QS 45 engine. T
IMG_0673.JPG

Try this site.

http://www.dubjett.com/mufflers2015.html

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, as with the Lemony Snicket story I've had a series of unfortunate events since I was last on line.
Along with my Mobile phone playing up, my PC also decided to become awkward and stop working too. On top of that I developed several mouth ulcers and a throat infection, which hindered my eating. I tried recovering in bed but that just impacted my Sciatica so been in agony with that too.
I appreciate the feedback though and will look into it, as soon as I get myself 100% again.
In the mean time I will literally be dragging myself back to work to tonight, to start my next set of 6 shifts. Hopefully the increased mobility will sort the back pain, just leaves my mouth to sort out.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Turns out I might have a solution to my dilemma after all. I have had issues with my phone recently so no access to What's App and only just got it working again today.
Which means my good friend Bill was able to step in with some helpful advice. It appears the hole centers for the Enya 30ss are 35.5mm apart which happens to be the same hole centers as the OS 46LA. Therefore, in theory the E-3030 silencer from the OS 46LA should fit the Enya engine.
What is really useful is that OS supply an extension specifically for the E-3030 exhaust and it's only £12 ($16.4 roughly).
As I already have an OS 46LA engine, I can swap the exhaust over and try it on the Enya 30ss before I go ahead buy the extension.
I will keep you updated.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I checked the alignment of the OS 46LA exhaust (E-3030) on my Enya 30ss engine and it fits. As you would expect the exhaust port opening is wider for the OS engine than the Enya 30's, so the gas flow would be improved.
Just in case I checked to see if the engine fits with the OS exhaust but sadly it doesn't so I still need an extension.
However, if I re-fit the Enya exhaust, the extension port will be larger than the Enya engine and exhaust port causing a possible bottle neck.
Therefore, to maintain exhaust gas flow, it makes more sense to fit the extension and a replacement E-3030 exhaust. That way its effectively a wide bore exhaust system and should improve power.
In the mean time I have contacted a supplier of Enya engines and spare, to see if they can source a genuine Enya extension to keep things uniform. If nothing comes of my enquiry there is always the OS system to fall back on.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I know its a long shot, as its very unlikely they can source a dedicated extension for the Enya. But its a potentially saving of £12 - £15 just buying an extension, as opposed to an extension and OS exhaust so its got to be worth a try.

L Edge

Master member
I know its a long shot, as its very unlikely they can source a dedicated extension for the Enya. But its a potentially saving of £12 - £15 just buying an extension, as opposed to an extension and OS exhaust so its got to be worth a try.

Is there any small machine shops in the area? Bring your problem to him and perhaps a chunk of metal laying in the scrap pile he could hack out for you.

When I flew heli, main shafts used to bend in crashes. Found a shop that drilled a 6" length of scrap pipe 5 mills larger where you would drive the shaft thru, it straighten the shaft and I saved $12 each time. Ended up he accepted a 40 oz of whiskey for doing it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Is there any small machine shops in the area? Bring your problem to him and perhaps a chunk of metal laying in the scrap pile he could hack out for you.

When I flew heli, main shafts used to bend in crashes. Found a shop that drilled a 6" length of scrap pipe 5 mills larger where you would drive the shaft thru, it straighten the shaft and I saved $12 each time. Ended up he accepted a 40 oz of whiskey for doing it.
Your whisky is cheap :eek: can't be real Scotch :cautious::unsure: . Point taken though, that was another option get someone to machine one for me. My mate even suggested I fabricate one myself, but I don't have the: space, time, tools or patience anymore to do a proper job like that.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Just received my spare E-3030 silencer and extension today. However, I was very disappointed as one of the threads was completely stripped on the silencer. So immediately messaged the seller on Ebay, who sold it as being in excellent condition. A couple of hours later he sent me a full refund and said keep it, I was surprised as the best I was hoping for was a partial refund.
I have now swapped the silencer from my OS 46LA engine to the Enya 30ss with the extension. Now I have time to find a solution to the thread problem and refit it on my OS engine at a later date :)(y)

Bricks

Master member
If you can find the right size Helicoil it will end up like new. Being that small it is tricky getting them drilled and installed.

Another option might be drill it all the way thru the muffler and find longer screws an nuts.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If you can find the right size Helicoil it will end up like new. Being that small it is tricky getting them drilled and installed.

Another option might be drill it all the way thru the muffler and find longer screws an nuts.
The screw's actually go all the way through the the silencer anyway, so my first option to use a nut on the end to secure it if there is sufficient space for a small nut.
Another option as an alternative to the Heli-coil solution, would be to use an aluminum weld to fill the hole, then drill and re- tap the thread. That's a bit over kill though so will just adapt to get the nut and bolt option to work.
Before I forget the extension section I bought, came with longer screws which protrude beyond the exit holes of the silencer. So there is sufficient thread protruding to fit a nut on the end. I just don't know at present, if the casting at the exit of the hole will allow a nut to fit on the thread, or it will need grinding away to allow a nut installation.
Its not a catastrophe the thread issue can be resolved, plus I ended up getting the silencer for free so I am grateful for that.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1636662900862.png

If you look where the engine connects to the silencer, about 5 or 10mm afterwards on the silencer there is a recess. That is where the longer bolt would protrude. Hopefully were the bolt sticks out, there is sufficient space to fit a small nut to secure the silencer to the engine.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have added some photos of the engine installation, it's not the finished job just a look see if everything lines up and fits.
20211112_144546.jpg 20211112_144605.jpg 20211112_144625.jpg 20211112_144643.jpg 20211112_145919.jpg 20211112_145919.jpg 20211112_145950.jpg
Feel a bit happier now it fits ;)(y)

Attachments

• 20211112_145934.jpg
    20211112_145934.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 0