ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

Matagami Designs

Master member
good to hear you got it working. what virus were you using? try avast it has a free version.

I was using comodo antivirus. It wouldn't be an issue if it told me it was blocking applications. Anyways just finished my build. Had a bunch of issues with the electronics but got it all sorted. Trying to figure out what to cut 1st maybe a cub or a scout?

Attachments

• 20200208_193914.jpg
    20200208_193914.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

dutchmonkey

I was using comodo antivirus. It wouldn't be an issue if it told me it was blocking applications. Anyways just finished my build. Had a bunch of issues with the electronics but got it all sorted. Trying to figure out what to cut 1st maybe a cub or a scout?
Mini scout it all fits on one sheet so you can get it cut and built quickly unless you don't have the electronics for it.

Matagami Designs

Master member
@Matagami Designs. Also take some time and join as many segments as you can with the node editor also you can simplify the amount of nodes in a line/cure it will help when you cut to get the best possible file.

Ive actually been messing around with dxf 2 gcode tool and doing all the drawing work in solidworks. I played around in inkscape a little while but if I can get SW > dxf > gcode working it should help me be more productive since I use that on a daily basis. I think I'm pretty close I just need to test the code.

Keno

Curious, what size of wire u using for your needles. I am using .025 and seems to work best for me. I did have problems with the guide bearing and just gave up on them. Working great now with some cotton and a drop of Prusa grease to lube the wire feed .023 nozzle.

dutchmonkey

Ive actually been messing around with dxf 2 gcode tool and doing all the drawing work in solidworks. I played around in inkscape a little while but if I can get SW > dxf > gcode working it should help me be more productive since I use that on a daily basis. I think I'm pretty close I just need to test the code.
Please keep me informed on this i use solidworks daily and it would be nice to use it this way as well.

dutchmonkey

Curious, what size of wire u using for your needles. I am using .025 and seems to work best for me. I did have problems with the guide bearing and just gave up on them. Working great now with some cotton and a drop of Prusa grease to lube the wire feed .023 nozzle.
I have been using this its harder to get it sharp like the supplied wire but it works good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-193015~2.png
    Screenshot_20200208-193015~2.png
    523.7 KB · Views: 0

effdubya

I had a couple of higher torque nema 17's sitting around (64oz to 89oz) so i swapped them out and success problem is gone. With the extra weight of my setup it just wasn't cutting it. So the take away is the stock motors work for the stock setup but even stock could use the higher torque motors the cuts from the stock setup to what i am getting now is night and day it is worth the cost of two two motors.

Hi - Thanks for the tips, can you tell me what nema 17s they are please? I cant find any UK suppliers of the recommended motor in the UK

Cheers!

dutchmonkey

Hi - Thanks for the tips, can you tell me what nema 17s they are please? I cant find any UK suppliers of the recommended motor in the UK

Cheers!
First off i put the wrong torque spec in for the stock stepper its 54 not 64. So are you building it stock or are you modifying it? I ask because the nema motors i used wont fit they are too tall. There is another option that might fit and still give you more torque then the suggested motors. He specs out a 37mm tall 54oz torque stepper, 17HS15-1504S-X1 is a motor i found on amazon that may fit and give you 64oz of torque it is 39mm tall stock is 37mm tall so i think this will work. If someone has a stock setup can you tell me how much clearance you have below the stepper motor and the floor?

Guy S.

First off i put the wrong torque spec in for the stock stepper its 54 not 64. So are you building it stock or are you modifying it? I ask because the nema motors i used wont fit they are too tall. There is another option that might fit and still give you more torque then the suggested motors. He specs out a 37mm tall 54oz torque stepper, 17HS15-1504S-X1 is a motor i found on amazon that may fit and give you 64oz of torque it is 39mm tall stock is 37mm tall so i think this will work. If someone has a stock setup can you tell me how much clearance you have below the stepper motor and the floor?

I’ve got 6mm if I’m understanding the question
07EBF9F8-303E-489F-AD59-FC84317CEB6B.jpeg

Guy S.

Yes thank you. @effdubya there are quite a few 64oz or 54 ncm nema 17 steppers up tob 40mm tall that would leave you 3 mm clearance not much but it should work.
I may have to give the 17HS15-1504S-X1 you listed above a try. My Y stepper seems a little weak, and seems to skip steps sometimes. I’ve checked the Vref and it’s at .7v and I’ve swapped the driver as well. But it still randomly makes a “click” then seems to be slightly out of position.

Guy S.

@Guy S. How has your build been cutting for you? It looks like you have modded it?
I’m really having a lot of fun just tinkering around with it. Other than a few things to try and stiffen up the cutter head, the only real mod has been a linear rod and bearing on the other end of the Y. Really not needed, but i have a bunch of surplus bearings and stuff at work. And like i said im enjoying just messing around with it. (Edit) Its cutting pretty well. Not perfect, But im not expecting perfection.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dutchmonkey

I may have to give the 17HS15-1504S-X1 you listed above a try. My Y stepper seems a little weak, and seems to skip steps sometimes. I’ve checked the Vref and it’s at .7v and I’ve swapped the driver as well. But it still randomly makes a “click” then seems to be slightly out of position.
The A4988 drivers should be run at .6 vref (vref x 2.5= 1.5 rated amps) if you change to dvr8825 driver you could run at .75 vref (vref X 2 = 1.5 amps) so you may be over heating your driver. Now you can remove the 12v to the uno and power the shield with 24v this will also help increase the power to the stepper but you will have to modify a few things to get this to work.

dutchmonkey

I’m really having a lot of fun just tinkering around with it. Other than a few things to try and stiffen up the cutter head, the only real mod has been a linear rod and bearing on the other end of the Y. Really not needed, but i have a bunch of surplus bearings and stuff at work. And like i said im enjoying just messing around with it. (Edit) Its cutting pretty well. Not perfect, But im not expecting perfection.
Nice. I found a set of linear rods i want to do and move the 2040 to the Y and stiffen it up allot. I am also working on stiffening up the slop in the head but after my last couple of sheets with my new setup i might only gain a small mount of improvement.

Guy S.

The A4988 drivers should be run at .6 vref (vref x 2.5= 1.5 rated amps) if you change to dvr8825 driver you could run at .75 vref (vref X 2 = 1.5 amps) so you may be over heating your driver. Now you csn remove the 12v to the uno and power the shield with 24v this will also help increase the power to the stepper but you will have to modify a few things to get this to work.
Stock both drivers measured .66v and I though I saw in one of the threads that you should shoot for .7v Ill keep a eye out for temps, and maybe lower the voltage.

Guy S.

Nice. I found a set of linear rods i want to do and move the 2040 to the Y and stiffen it up allot. I am also working on stiffening up the slop in the head but after my last couple of sheets with my new setup i might only gain a small mount of improvement.
Once I get the Y motor sorted, I want to work on getting rid of as much slop out of the cutter head as I can. And the Y motor really is that bad. But I put a Indicator at the home position, then run a sheet. If it didn't make the click noise it will come back basically prefect +- .002 If it did skip, it will be anywhere between .02 -.03 out. Doesn't really matter, but...

dutchmonkey

Once I get the Y motor sorted, I want to work on getting rid of as much slop out of the cutter head as I can. And the Y motor really is that bad. But I put a Indicator at the home position, then run a sheet. If it didn't make the click noise it will come back basically prefect +- .002 If it did skip, it will be anywhere between .02 -.03 out. Doesn't really matter, but...
Did you actually cut or just test run? The extra drag of cutting might make that skip worse. Basically it shouldn't skip at all it just allows for inconsistent cutting and that's not good.