ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

dutchmonkey

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the G code generation using the MI Inkscape extension? I followed the video
but don't get any path shown in inkscape when i hit apply or gcode file in the directory location? Running Inkscape 0.91 on Windows 10 Thanks

View attachment 155187
I use the jtech with .92 inkscape so i am no help but i have had no problems with jtech and .92 follow this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iAbiSO5zP6D8wZi3YqsBw_DFHApfqrR31Gc8_9tXNMQ/edit

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
As I previously reported;
"I got my ERC TIM SAV lite kit from Edward. Very happy overall with it. Got one issue I cannot seem to correct enough."

"Is anyone else having issues with excessive looseness in the "Y" arm as it moves right or left across the X axis? I just printed a second lower attach plate thinking that there was an error when it was printed. The second plate has the same amount of looseness, so it is not the problem. There is enough play when I am moving along the "X" axis it lags in either X direction sometimes??? Of course with the lag the cut gets trashed/skewed a bit!! I have lubed the bearing on the wheel of the Y arm and it moves freely."

SOLUTION;
So as dutchmonkey had to do with his metal set up-->>> I added slots on the LOWER "Y" PLATE roller mount holes opposite where the belt rides. I also put flat washers and lock washers under the heads of all the screws. Everything is tight and seems to have no looseness.

dutchmonkey

As I previously reported;
"I got my ERC TIM SAV lite kit from Edward. Very happy overall with it. Got one issue I cannot seem to correct enough."

"Is anyone else having issues with excessive looseness in the "Y" arm as it moves right or left across the X axis? I just printed a second lower attach plate thinking that there was an error when it was printed. The second plate has the same amount of looseness, so it is not the problem. There is enough play when I am moving along the "X" axis it lags in either X direction sometimes??? Of course with the lag the cut gets trashed/skewed a bit!! I have lubed the bearing on the wheel of the Y arm and it moves freely."

SOLUTION;
So as dutchmonkey had to do with his metal set up-->>> I added slots on the LOWER "Y" PLATE roller mount holes opposite where the belt rides. I also put flat washers and lock washers under the heads of all the screws. Everything is tight and seems to have no looseness.

Good to hear you got yours up and running smooth (y) did you add the slots to the top "y" plate as well?

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Thanks dutchmonkey-- Yes, you have to slot the upper and lower Y plates. Realized that when I tried to put it together after slotting the lower plate only. (DO NOT slot the holes for the rollers where the belt rides)

Here is a photo of the lower plate of what needs to be slotted (in red box), with the corresponding holes in the upper Y plate!!

This slotting allows for the minor differences in the 2040 extrusion and some 3D printing differences among printers.

View attachment 155473

Attachments

• ERC fix axis.jpg
    ERC fix axis.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0

chris398mx

Master member
Thanks dutchmonkey-- Yes, you have to slot the upper and lower Y plates. Realized that when I tried to put it together after slotting the lower plate only. (DO NOT slot the holes for the rollers where the belt rides)

Here is a photo of the lower plate of what needs to be slotted (in red box), with the corresponding holes in the upper Y plate!!

This slotting allows for the minor differences in the 2040 extrusion and some 3D printing differences among printers.

View attachment 155473

Both these holes need slotted? left and right( as drawn) or up and down

1579731536323.png

Matagami Designs

Master member
I use the jtech with .92 inkscape so i am no help but i have had no problems with jtech and .92 follow this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iAbiSO5zP6D8wZi3YqsBw_DFHApfqrR31Gc8_9tXNMQ/edit

So i downloaded the Jtech and 0.92 and had the same issues. o_O On a whim i went and deleted my antivirus software since it has caused more frustration then benefit in the past and lo and behold G code is created. :eek: I guess i need to get one of these cutters built after all.:unsure:

dutchmonkey

So i downloaded the Jtech and 0.92 and had the same issues. o_O On a whim i went and deleted my antivirus software since it has caused more frustration then benefit in the past and lo and behold G code is created. :eek: I guess i need to get one of these cutters built after all.:unsure:
good to hear you got it working. what virus were you using? try avast it has a free version.

dutchmonkey

here you can see some of my mods to this cutter. dragchains for both axis, increased the height for a vacuum setup, second x plate, pen holder, Uno case, and foam board square plates( kind of hidden) the x and y plates with work or either setup but if you want the vacuum table you will need to rise the cutter. how much of this would you guys like?

Attachments

• rev2.PNG
    rev2.PNG
    273.6 KB · Views: 0

Guy S.

I’m having a lot of problems with needle breaking. Is this normally a RPM issue? I don’t have a tac, but I feel like I’m conservative. Breaking between the loop bearing and the first set of guides.

dutchmonkey

I’m having a lot of problems with needle breaking. Is this normally a RPM issue? I don’t have a tac, but I feel like I’m conservative. Breaking between the loop bearing and the first set of guides.
I was having the same issue what i noticed was my needle was getting caught behind the bearing and causing all sorta of issues. So i swapped out the needle bearing to one with a flange this way the needle wire cant get caught behind the bearing and allows you to push the wire on untill it stops. The part number is MF63ZZ i took the large washer off the bearing side to rebalance it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200126-123612~2.png
    Screenshot_20200126-123612~2.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 0

Guy S.

I was having the same issue what i noticed was my needle was getting caught behind the bearing and causing all sorta of issues. So i swapped out the needle bearing to one with a flange this way the needle wire cant get caught behind the bearing and allows you to push the wire on untill it stops. The part number is MF63ZZ i took the large washer off the bearing side to rebalance it.
Ill look into the flanged bearings thanks. I truly didn't think this was my issue, but after a closer look I think it is. I bent around on the loop until the cutter would run without the loop moving back towards the flywheel, and it is quieter, and is running better. I hope this was it. Thanks.

dutchmonkey

So last sunday i was trying to cut out @Grifflyer M-MM-Spitfire and my cutter started to miss steps in cutting it was a very sporadic. I spent most of the week trying to diagnose what went wrong. My first thought was the a4988 driver went bad i swapped them out for some extras i had did not fix my issue. I ordered some drv8825 drivers because you can push more power through them it helped but it still happened. I also re-flashed the uno, reloaded the gbrl and swapped out cords this did nothing. Next on the list the stepper motors the problem seamed more problematic on the Y axis so i swapped motors still happened swapped cables still happened. Next removed 12v power from the uno and put 20v to the cnc shield still happened. I had a couple of higher torque nema 17's sitting around (56oz to 89oz) so i swapped them out and success problem is gone. With the extra weight of my setup it just wasn't cutting it. So the take away is the stock motors work for the stock setup but even stock could use the higher torque motors the cuts from the stock setup to what i am getting now is night and day it is worth the cost of two two motors.

Last edited: