Eric Monroe's angle arm Drachen (eMaaD) MiniQuad

jipp

normally i would warn you against using gorilla glue.. but in this case the gap filling probably helped.. normally i say wood glue for wood.. but i think it would of took you more work to get the surfaces flat! gorilla glue is strong... just not idea for wood projects.

are you going to paint the dome? or add a bunch of LED to scare the neighbors with a UFO cruising around. heh.. like in the brady bunch episode when greg was fooling his hood with a UFO on a string :p im showing my age, yeah i remember brady bunch even tho i caught the reruns. :p

chris.

amishboy

I added your closeups and some descriptions to the first post. Enjoy! Don't forget to share yours when you finish it!

thanks again, i just ordered my parts this week and will be creating a build thread as soon as i get started. How are you securing the dome to the copter? Also, what battery are you using with this? I have a few 3s 2200mAh laying around that i thought might work.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
normally i would warn you against using gorilla glue.. but in this case the gap filling probably helped.. normally i say wood glue for wood.. but i think it would of took you more work to get the surfaces flat! gorilla glue is strong... just not idea for wood projects.

are you going to paint the dome? or add a bunch of LED to scare the neighbors with a UFO cruising around. heh.. like in the brady bunch episode when greg was fooling his hood with a UFO on a string :p im showing my age, yeah i remember brady bunch even tho i caught the reruns. :p

chris.

The gorilla glue seems to work well enough. Wood glue would have been fine, too. In a crash, its the actual wood that breaks. I was thinking the gorilla glue might give the wood a little more strength, overall.

Haha. I've considered both. I think what I'm actually going to do is to paint the inside of the dome 4 colors. One for each direction, then later when I don't need the colors for reference I'll paint the outside mostly black.

You're not old just because you watched the brady bunch. Oh wait. That means I'm old, too!

JohnRambozo

thanks again, i just ordered my parts this week and will be creating a build thread as soon as i get started. How are you securing the dome to the copter? Also, what battery are you using with this? I have a few 3s 2200mAh laying around that i thought might work.

Cool. I can't wait to see your build.

For now I only have 2 small pieces of white duct tape holding the dome on. I'm trying to figure out a more elegant way to attach it while still keeping it easily removable.

Those are the same batteries I'm using. You'll be happy with the performance on those. It has plenty of power and flight times are about 10 minutes.

Netrimos

I love the concept of the angle arms, thanks Eric! Here are my 10° angle arm w/o brackets. It is more rigid, the height of an afro 20A, and weighs less. I will now have more room between the electrohub plates so all my gear minus the battery can fit between them.
IMG_4763.JPG

JohnRambozo

I love the concept of the angle arms, thanks Eric! Here are my 10° angle arm w/o brackets. It is more rigid, the height of an afro 20A, and weighs less. I will now have more room between the electrohub plates so all my gear minus the battery can fit between them.

Very cool! I've been thinking about finding either a stronger way to make the angle arms or just making some backup parts. I'm flying LOS practicing my high speed turns and occasionally it gets away from me and I end up hitting the ground pretty hard. One arm has a vertical split in it but its sandwiched in the hub so its fine. :)

jipp

best way to make wood stronger is to laminate it in strips. that what we do in making bows ( archery ).. the bow limb that has the lightest mass and the stiffest tips will be the most efficient ie.. fastest stick bow.

i like to use bamboo flooring, its natures carbon fiber.. i use it like you would use fiberglass in a glass backed bow.. im thinking a laminated bamboo/hickory arm would be more durable than what you are using now. :) this winter ill try to build you some custom arms to test this idea out.. i have a box of bamboo flooring out in the shop i believe doing nothing ( like any hobby, you could not go about trying to sell a bow advertising it with bamboo flooring.. so bowyers ( a bowyer is someone who builds wooden bows, be it longbow,self,recurve, or what i specialized in MICMAC's. ) bowyers nick name the vertical grain bamboo flooring about 99.00 for a box of it at home depot.. "action boo" hah, and the consumer generally will pay extra for this option. as depending on the design of the bow, will produce a smoother drawing and faster bow.. ie more efficient over typical bow woods... funny how marketing works ).. i chose hickory because its light and strong.. but we could experiment. :D

something to try come winter i think.. my bandsaw needs a work out anyhow. :p

so what i would do is glue that shape into the wooden arm.. so you build your form.. take 1/16" to 1/8" strips, and i would glue it up using URAC 186 ( best gap filling resin on the market ) into a form with your desired shape.. it would be stronger, and lighter too as it would be glued into the desired shape you want. yeah ill build some arms come winter i think. should be fun.
chris.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

best way to make wood stronger is to laminate it in strips. that what we do in making bows ( archery ).. the bow limb that has the lightest mass and the stiffest tips will be the most efficient ie.. fastest stick bow.

i like to use bamboo flooring, its natures carbon fiber.. i use it like you would use fiberglass in a glass backed bow.. im thinking a laminated bamboo/hickory arm would be more durable than what you are using now. :) this winter ill try to build you some custom arms to test this idea out.. i have a box of bamboo flooring out in the shop i believe doing nothing ( like any hobby, you could not go about trying to sell a bow advertising it with bamboo flooring.. so bowyers ( a bowyer is someone who builds wooden bows, be it longbow,self,recurve, or what i specialized in MICMAC's. ) bowyers nick name the vertical grain bamboo flooring about 99.00 for a box of it at home depot.. "action boo" hah, and the consumer generally will pay extra for this option. as depending on the design of the bow, will produce a smoother drawing and faster bow.. ie more efficient over typical bow woods... funny how marketing works ).. i chose hickory because its light and strong.. but we could experiment. :D

something to try come winter i think.. my bandsaw needs a work out anyhow. :p

so what i would do is glue that shape into the wooden arm.. so you build your form.. take 1/16" to 1/8" strips, and i would glue it up using URAC 186 ( best gap filling resin on the market ) into a form with your desired shape.. it would be stronger, and lighter too as it would be glued into the desired shape you want. yeah ill build some arms come winter i think. should be fun.
chris.

That's awesome. If they are relatively cheap and strong, I'd say you'd have a nice product. I would certainly buy some.

The angle is 10 degrees. It shouldn't matter if its a sharp angle or a gentle curve to the tip. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Reuds

Why not 3d print them??

Awesome build. I have my build to complete as well. i used the motors and esc from a qr x350 pro for now. Will purchase the race quad pack soon.

jipp

That's awesome. If they are relatively cheap and strong, I'd say you'd have a nice product. I would certainly buy some.

The angle is 10 degrees. It shouldn't matter if its a sharp angle or a gentle curve to the tip. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

sure we can experiment. i have no desire to try to make money tho.. but help in shipping would be enough. heh im disabled or i would not even mention shipping.. we will see what we can do this winter.. sounds like a fun project. i already have all the wood etc;. so the only thing ill be out is time.. and i have lots of it.. so we can see if we can not make a more durable limb so you only need a couple and be set for a season. :D

chris.

JohnRambozo

sure we can experiment. i have no desire to try to make money tho.. but help in shipping would be enough. heh im disabled or i would not even mention shipping.. we will see what we can do this winter.. sounds like a fun project. i already have all the wood etc;. so the only thing ill be out is time.. and i have lots of it.. so we can see if we can not make a more durable limb so you only need a couple and be set for a season. :D

chris.

Sounds great, chris. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'll be happy to pay shipping and then some.

JohnRambozo

Chris,

I was flying today and whacked a few light poles... Just broke some props and tweaked an arm a bit. It reminded me that I can't wait to see your angle arms this winter!

Cheers.

JohnRambozo

I took this video a couple of weeks ago but forgot to share. I had to balance my phone on my dashboard and try to fly in frame. I didn't always manage to stay in bounds but you get a sense for how she flies. I've since taken to flying much more aggressively. Starting to work on powering through corners.

jipp

hey, nice place to fly. looks like the copter is very stable. i wish i had that large of a pace near by. heh.
i do have a spot about 10 mins from me by car, but its more desert but open which ill probably explore the winter.. just if you crash you have a good chance of landing in a cactus. :D

chris.

JohnRambozo

hey, nice place to fly. looks like the copter is very stable. i wish i had that large of a pace near by. heh.
i do have a spot about 10 mins from me by car, but its more desert but open which ill probably explore the winter.. just if you crash you have a good chance of landing in a cactus. :D

chris.

I'm pretty lucky its only about 5 minutes away by car and almost never used for much. Fall soccer season is approaching and that becomes an issue but even that isn't too much trouble. I have halted a few soccer games by flying my planes in the general vicinity because the kids can't help getting distracted. Planes are just too cool.

I'm very happy with the flight characteristics. I haven't even auto-tuned the Naze32 and I'm flying in full Acro mode.

As for your desert... the open space sounds awesome. The cactus, not so much.

Oh and I added the final final pic to the first post showing the black and red dome.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Today's flight session at a baseball field. I stuck my phone in the fence for that authentic LOS feeling of oh crap, its far away, I have no idea what's going on.

jipp

looks like a nice day to fly on top of a nice -place to cruise around.. but i have to be honest.. the first thing that came to my mind was. run the bases man.. run the base, go for home.. practice landing on each base, then go for the next/ hah i would of made a silly game out of it i fear.. but that is just me. :D and i am far from normal :D

the red really helps to tell which direction you are going.

chris.

JohnRambozo

looks like a nice day to fly on top of a nice -place to cruise around.. but i have to be honest.. the first thing that came to my mind was. run the bases man.. run the base, go for home.. practice landing on each base, then go for the next/ hah i would of made a silly game out of it i fear.. but that is just me. :D and i am far from normal :D

the red really helps to tell which direction you are going.

chris.

The only reason I didn't do that in the video is because the bases didn't fit in the camera view. After I turned it off, I spent quite a while doing laps, working on my speed and cornering at below 5ft. I didn't land on each base only because of the very fine sand they use here. I didn't want it getting sucked into the motors.

That red face makes all the difference for LOS flying at a distance.

JohnRambozo

For the record, I am still flying with the 'Hobby Stick' repaired angle arm brackets without any issues. I just ordered 10 props and upped my rates so I can start doing some precision LOS acrobatics. Stay tuned for videos in the coming weeks.

Reuds

Going great! Keep at it. Im soon to finish my build with a different motor setup.
Thanks for the sphere cover idea. Ordered those as well.