ESC's get out of sync after a while?

Longbaorder23

Hey guys,
Been using the new DYS SN30 series ESC's on my blackout, and they work great but either after i crash or just over time, the escs seem to not be able to keep in sync. when theyre new or undamaged, their performance is flawless. but, like KISS ESC's, it seems the durability isnt very good with these. I had one ESC go bad and i fell out of the sky. replaced, and found out another one was doing the same thing too, ordered 2 replacements, one of which is a spare. Whats going on? It appears when the ESC fails, the motor behaves as if it had only 2 wires connected. The first bad ESC was so bad that it rarely (if ever) spun the motor correctly after the damage. This one though, is intermittent. It seems to start spinning fine if i give it a bit of throttle. Whats the deal? Another note, whats a good ESC alternative? running 4 cells, 1900kv motors with 6045's, at max draws maybe 25-28A. I also would require replacement ESC's to have oneshot in them. Options? Im really confused... i also bought the DYS USB linker device, but im not sure if its quite working, but is there a way to check the ESC's functionality through BLHeliSuite? Thanks!

Longbaorder23

just after posting i saw those as an excellent choice. my only concern is that my setup draws a lot of amps, how resistant to high current are these little pieces? Thanks!

FPVology

I'm just finishing up my rebuild with those RG20s but from the rep of rotorgeeks and the reviews, they seem to hold up pretty dang well. What type of setup are you running (motor size)?

Longbaorder23

2207? i believe. the EMAX 1900kv motors, im not running 2300's like most others. i did that because i figured id be putting a bit more weight on my blackout 6" machine. They look great, ill consider buying the starter pack at 80 bucks, looks a good deal. Any known issues with them? heat or something? Im not the greatest solderer but i can always get the job done nicely and cleanly. Concerns? Thanks so much!

ZoomNBoom

I cant imagine how an ESC would get 'slightly' damaged from a crash. Its just electronics. In theory its possible some components would be ripped from their pcb and make intermittent contact, but that seems unlikely at best.

I guess what Im saying is: either your problem has nothing to do with the ESC, but everything with the motor getting damaged in the crash or poor soldering. Or, the problem would is likely to occur regardless of any crashes.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've knocked the oscillator off an ESC in a crash before. One of the hardest crashes I've ever had...full throttle into the back of my truck. The oscillators used on these are actually fairly easy to damage, that's why I now mount ESC's that use them with foam pads under them.

But that kind of damage would make the ESC just not work. (It's easy to repair though, new oscillators are dirt cheap and not that bad to replace.)

jipp

2207? i believe. the EMAX 1900kv motors, im not running 2300's like most others. i did that because i figured id be putting a bit more weight on my blackout 6" machine. They look great, ill consider buying the starter pack at 80 bucks, looks a good deal. Any known issues with them? heat or something? Im not the greatest solderer but i can always get the job done nicely and cleanly. Concerns? Thanks so much!

naw, iv only read positive about rg20 esc. i plan on buy a set too.

chris.

Longbaorder23

yeah i find it hard to think that escs get partially damaged, but it seems to be happening with these SN series DYS ones. Theyre great if they work! I just flashed them all to blheli 14, and it worked, even on the damaged ESC, and though it helped the problem, it was definitely still there. Whats the firmware the RG20s run? Im assuming its something were familiar with if its got oneshot and if its really as good as its said to be haha. Thanks!

jipp

yeah i find it hard to think that escs get partially damaged, but it seems to be happening with these SN series DYS ones. Theyre great if they work! I just flashed them all to blheli 14, and it worked, even on the damaged ESC, and though it helped the problem, it was definitely still there. Whats the firmware the RG20s run? Im assuming its something were familiar with if its got oneshot and if its really as good as its said to be haha. Thanks!

BLHeli 14 i would assume that is the latest.

check out the video, he runs through oneshot etc.
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=307

chris.