Explorer alternative

beacon

I’m looking to build a foam-board pusher, where the prop is protected during a crash. The Explorer seemed perfect, but forum posts describe so many problems (wings folding, balance being way off, motor thrust angle, servo positions, etc.) that I’m hesitant to bother. Are there any others out there?

FDS

Elite member
Using undercarriage protects the prop. Any of the wheeled designs will do that and you can add undercarriage to the Tiny Trainer. This is mine. I have broken 14 power pods and not one single prop.
83D0EF9D-44B8-41A1-ACF3-62835D36F59C.jpeg

FDS

Elite member
My flying field is not at all flat. It’s an old rugby pitch that hasn’t been rolled in 15 years and has a rabbit infestation.
You use bigger wheels, low approach speed and flare as you touch. It doesn’t matter if you end up in a nose stand after the first touch, as the prop doesn’t hit first.
If you are absolutely against wheels then the FT sea planes belly land very well, just add plenty of tape. There is one with a high prop too.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just for something different you could try to build the Tiny Trainer and then the Bixler type nose which are both free plans and they work together reasonably well. Been there and done that!

The added benefit is that as you skills improve or as the mood takes you you can reconfigure it as you see fit.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

Reactions: FDS

beacon

Just found the "Maker Trainer 2" by Lucas Weakley, which looks like what I'm searching for. Anyone have any experience with this? Or know where i can find plans?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just found the "Maker Trainer 2" by Lucas Weakley, which looks like what I'm searching for. Anyone have any experience with this? Or know where i can find plans?
I have not built or flown BUT the plans and other files can be downloaded from here - http://lucasweakley.com/product/maker-trainer-2-kit/

There is also a build video.

If you cannot download the plans or if they are withdrawn I can supply the PDFs for it!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hai-Lee,
Looks like the plans I downloaded didn't work. Can you send me the PDFs? What is the best way to do this?
I will try to attach files to this thread!

Have fun!

Attachments

• MakerTrainer2.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • MT2 Full 1.pdf
    21.9 MB · Views: 0
  • MT2 Full 2.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The Explorer is a great plane. I would not let the mods detour you from trying one. The wing needs reinforcements and the nose needs to be lengthened about 2 inches. I’ve modified every FT plane I’ve built to suit my needs. That is one of the benefits of scratch building, they can be easily modified.