• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Explorer Plan Problem

alan0043

Active member
#1
Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know if this has happened to you. I am scratch building an Explorer from the plans that I down loaded. I taped all the sheets of paper together and glued the sheets of paper to poster board to make templates. After I traced out the pieces for the nose I did a dry assembly and found out that the nose skin part A & B is to wide to fit the nose. I know how to fix this problem but has this ever happen to you ? What do you think caused this problem ? Everything else seems to be ok. Any thoughts on what could cause this ?

Al
 

The Hangar

Well-known member
#2
I don't recall coming across that issue, but it did seem like the thrust angle was terribly off on the motor pod. I made multiple pods and finally pointed the motor up quite a bit and then it flew great. Before then it was full throttle on a C pack on 3s just to keep it in the air.
 

Merv

Well-known member
#3
....I did a dry assembly and found out that the nose skin part A & B is to wide to fit the nose......
It depends on how much you are off. If your off by the thickness of the FB, you made a mistake in the folds. It’s the folds that control the width. If you make an A fold where a B was needed or a B instead of an A, your width will be off.
 
Last edited:

alan0043

Active member
#4
Hi Everyone,

A little update on what is going on with the plans. Right now it seems to be how the plans where seemed together. I must have missed the keys in the corners of the plans. I don't know how I did that. There is more then just the nose skins that are off. Parts of the core are just not correct. At times I can not get the angles to be 90* on the core. Any print or pattern that has a seem between fold marks is where the problem is. What a disappointment.

Al