F-4 Phantom - Twin 70mm EDF Monster!!

jperry

hi, Ben. where do you put the battery in your F4? I have nearly finished mine and looking forward to the maiden.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I shove it in through the nose and over the wing, in between the inlets as far back as it will go.

I really need to re-check the CG I've been flying at, and compare with what I've put on the plans...I'm finding that the aft-CG really doesn't handle well on this jet.

jperry

Ok thanks, I've pushed my motors much further back than you but I am flying with a 6s batt. Before i maiden would you be able to tell me where the best place is for the CG based on your experience?

Rosco

Got mine built using UK foam board and it weighs 2.1kg with the edfs in a similar place to SOTM's build .
If anything mine is tail heavy with 2 X 2200 4s batteries up to the front landing gear.

What do other folks builds weigh including batteries ?

Fun build thanks for the plans ��

Sotm

Got mine built using UK foam board and it weighs 2.1kg with the edfs in a similar place to SOTM's build .
If anything mine is tail heavy with 2 X 2200 4s batteries up to the front landing gear.

What do other folks builds weigh including batteries ?

Fun build thanks for the plans 😀

You're going to want more than 2200 mah per battery, EDFs eat the mahs 3000 will maybe give you two minutes. I'd use at 4000mah for each EDF. Once you change those out you should not be tail heavy then. BTW mine is 6 pounds AUW ready to fly. That's roughly 2.75 kgs. I am using 1 4S 6000mah battery for both and expect <2 minutes flight time at full throttle.

Make sure to calculate your CG position correctly and then check CG again. Here's a good on-line calculator.

https://rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm

Use single panel and remember wingspan half is measured from the ducts out, not half of total span!! The area covered by ducts and fuselage does not produce lift!

jperry

here is my attempt at your F4 Ben. I have a huge amount of respect for you for being to design this beast. I have made a few mods.

the rubber band canopy attachment.
the removable wings, i had to reinforce the bottom of the inlets and of the fuselage.
edfs are much further back but I am using a 6s5000mah batt (no need for tail weight)
much larger landing gear because the larger wheels mean it can handle the grass runway better.
I also made thrust tube exhaust covers from foam board for durability.

I have yet to maiden it due to weather.lots of snow and rain here in the UK.

pic6.jpg pic12.jpg pic11.jpg pic10.jpg pic 9.jpg pic8.jpg pic7.jpg 20180317_214058.jpg pic 3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic13.jpg

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That's amazing!! Well done man! I love the way you reinforced the removable wing, and taller/bigger gear was a good call for your soft field operations.

Can't wait to see the maiden! Are you going to put any markings or tape on it prior to first flight?

jperry

Glad you like it Ben, I thought building it was a challenge to but to be able to design this is an exceptional skill. (A twin 70mm series would go down very well ;) ) I wont put any colour on for the maiden but once that is out the way I'm going to paint it in the blue angels scheme. I prefer paint to tape and I always find the neatest paint jobs are the simplest, blue angels being only 2 colours was the simplest.

Rosco

phantom.jpg
Well mine goes !!!

Yes it was nose heavy even with the 2x 2200's in it. I know the 2200's are bad but I'm running the same power setup from my Viggen and X29.
I've been using the super cheap £5 70mm 6 blade edf and Turnigy 2226 motor from HKing, its nasty but makes good thrust and lowish vibes if you leave the cone off the end of the fan :rolleyes:
Getting a reasonable flight time 2 mins plus and still some battery reserve after a few full bore passes.

It has come in at just over 2kg with batteries

Thanks again to Ben for the plans and the help from other builders on here !!

Now for a paint job USS Coral Sea I think :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
You're very welcome Rosco! Wow, that's a beautiful picture! :D So glad you had a good flight experience, we can't wait to see your finished product. :D

Sotm

Another successful flight - AND LANDING - on my F-4. ;)

My first attempt went very wrong. The flying stab was off in the up direction way too much and when it broke ground it went straight up! Tried very hard to get it under control but after about six porpoises I cut power and it nosed in. Wing survived but I am rebuilding the fuse right now. Going to put a wing incidence meter on both the wing and stab first this time with both at 0 degrees.

Duane

Rosco

My first attempt went very wrong. The flying stab was off in the up direction way too much and when it broke ground it went straight up! Tried very hard to get it under control but after about six porpoises I cut power and it nosed in. Wing survived but I am rebuilding the fuse right now. Going to put a wing incidence meter on both the wing and stab first this time with both at 0 degrees.

Duane

I've found mine is sensitive to the angle of the flying stab.
I've done my best to make sure the stab and wing are at 0 degrees.
I did follow Ben's advice and build with a traditional elevator &#128521;
I've also added bracing to stop the tail section flexing where it mounts to the fuselage.
Mine still leaps into the air fairly hard but it's controlable.

Rosco

I've had think about the leaping into the air thing and done some research.

It could be something called pitch up where part of the wing stalls and moves the point at which lift is generated forwards ( center of pressure ), which amplifies the problem.

One solution is to add 'wing fences' to stop the air flowing sideways over the wing and direct the air flow from the front to the back of the wing .

Chuffed that this project has taught me some actual aeronautics &#128513;

Will try it as soon as our weather improves !

PoorManRC

Master member
Another MASTERPIECE in Foam Core Board!!!!!!
The F-4 Phantom II. MORE crazy lines and angles than ANY Other Fighter Jet!! And you NAILED it! You even did the flying Tailplane...

That will help you a lot, above .93 Mach!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: LMAO!!
This Sir, is really impressive.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
so i looked around and i cant find put how to print out the plans or build it. am i missing a post?
After you download the plans linked in the first you have to do is open up the plans in adobe reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make tiling the plans after they printed easier, but it will increase your page count from something like 8 to 12. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.

There aren't any dedicated build instructions, instead you can read through the thread and look at pictures of other peoples builds and work from there and if you run into a problem you can ask questions and people here will be happy to help you out.

Jermaine123

So ..i finally maidened mine ..and it went horribly wrong .. I didn't use any landing gear ... Hand launched ... It went like straight up and lawn darted into the ground ......