• IMG-20191111-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20191111-WA0001.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20191111-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20191111-WA0009.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Muquacksa

Hi!
I am thinking of making this twin EDF jet myself, and I would like to ask, is there a full electronics/parts list needed to make a F-4 phantom with retracts?

Jermaine123

To be honest ben may have to answer that one ..
Sms..
I kept mine simple no retracts so I cant speak to that .. However I used 2 70mm EDF units I got from eBay .. Fr sky reciever of course 2 speed controllers and servo count would depend on what your outfitting it with .. I used 2 9 g for the elevators and 2 for ailerons ...if your gonna go retracts im guessing your gonna need one for the steering and 2 more possibly for flaps and perhaps one for rudder .. My build used 2 y harnesses one for the alerons and one for the elevator and then because of the overall length I used like 3 pcs 300mm extentions ..battery of choice was 4s 3000 graphene.. 100c..i. Would recommend metal gear servos on jets where ever possible .. I was using plastic and lost it to a failed servo 2 months later ... After about 7 flights

Jermaine123

To be honest I dont see why not ... This much addition information was not available when I did mine and few others also had success with the previously available informtion ... This should be like a walk in the park .. Beside ben also has a bunch of pics in the original thread ..
Best of luck ..

Muquacksa

Thank you very much! And there is one thing im a bit confused about since I dont have experience with retracts but I would really like them on what I am planning to make. Would something like either of these 2 work well or do I need to find another suitable landing gear? The landing gear on motion RC doesn't have any specifications so I have to eyeball it. Here are the links to them, 1st one :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

2nd one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Jermaine123

As the KV stands for rpm per volt .. The kv rating would be dependant on ur cell count I would imagine if your running 4s. 3000 maybe .. 6s would be lower .. I found 2600 6s units

Muquacksa

Firstly, would a 9g or 12g servo function better for the rc plane?
Secondly, I found 2 pretty nice 12g servos from emax, and I am wondering which would be better for this particular rc jet. The model names are the
ES08MAII
ES08MDII

If 9g is better than 12g for this plane, do you have any emax servo recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Muquacksa

Oh and one more thing, I use a craft's shop unbranded foam, would it work or do I need to get a specific type/brand of foam for this to fly properly? If I need a specific brand/type, would a foam board of one of these following brands work? The brands available to me are elmers, pacon, royal consumer, forpro zebra and forpro o-files.

Thanks in advance!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I would recommend 12g over 9g for this jet, given the speeds likely to be involved. Higher speeds = Higher control surface loads. Either of the Emax servos you listed above would work. I think the only difference is the "A" version is analog and the D is digital.

I don't know anything about the other brands of foamboard you mentioned. I know others have used stuff besides DollarTree FB, so I'll let them weigh in. Search the forum and you're sure to find better info out there. If you can stomach the shipping, I'd recommend getting MakerFoam from Flite Test. It comes in white now too if you don't like the brown. :)

Muquacksa

Thank you very much for this info, ill use a 12g servo in that case!
For the makerfoam board, its $59 shipping per 25 sheets of makerfoam, so its quite a lot more than I was hoping to spend on foamboard, so I am currently using foam board available to me.