F4U Corsair

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
After watching Disney's " Planes" my step daughter asked me if I could build "Skipper". We had already built "Ripslinger" and " Dusty" and a couple other FT aircraft. I told her I wasn't sure but would see what I could do. Having recently learned some AutoCAD, it became a challenge for me to complete. One of the "must - haves" was to maintain the big round look of the fuselage; another one was to use only the materials that the FT planes use so it could be inexpensively duplicated and the third was to incorperate the "swappable power pod" . The F4U Corsair build has met those requirements and is a very scale flyer. It performs loops, rolls, and inverted flight quite well. The silhouette is easily identifiable and is fun to fly.

Have Fun and Fly Safe!

corsair-3-png_1444866385.jpg

Here is a build video and test flight of the Corsair.

IMG_0630.JPG
Prototype next to the FT P-51

CORSAIR PLANS

View attachment Corsair 4 Model.pdf ( page 1)
View attachment Corsair 5 Model.pdf ( page 2)

F4U CORSAIR SPECS.

WEIGHT WITHOUT BATTERY: 20 oz. ( 567 g)
CENTER OF GRAVITY: 3" ( 76.2 mm) from leading edge of wing
CONTROL SURFACE THROWS: 16˚ deflection - Expo 30%
WINGSPAN: 46 inches (1168 mm)
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: Park 425, 1000 kv minimum
RECOMMENDED PROP: 10 x 6, 10 x 7 prop
RECOMMENDED ESC: 30 amp
RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 2200 mAH 3s
RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (4 ) 9 gram servos

Last edited:

Bayboos

Nicely done! Flight video pls :)

P.S. I did find the flight video on your YT channel. I see that the plane is waggling the tail like almost all of the Corsairs I've ever saw (or heard of). You can try to reduce this tendency by slightly increasing the vertical stabiliser surface or making the tail section of the fuselage few % longer - it would not change the look by much, but should help to reduce this unpleasant tendency.

Good luck, and Have Fun!

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Thanks. I reduced the throws a little and that helped . It would be simple to increase the vertical stabilizer.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Very nice build! I'm currently building an F-4u5n from ALP's plans. If you check out his profile page he did a pretty good tutorial on how to make a round fuselage.

Limie99

Thank you so much for a great, simple to make design. Made this bird over the Holiday Season....with just a few mods...haven't maiden yet....waiting for better weather.

FT Planes - Jan. 2016 020_1.jpg