F8F Rare Bear build

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Latest project, Rare Bear Reno racer. 42.5 inch wingspan. Having so much fun with the little XK version of this thought I would make its big brother. This is the build so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_065804_133.jpg
    IMG_20230510_065804_133.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_065756_433.jpg
    IMG_20230510_065756_433.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_065813_814.jpg
    IMG_20230510_065813_814.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
Very nice....I like the wing. I did something similar in a 13th Squadron F6F which has a similar wing outline. I tried to build it without ribs but I kept getting different airfoil sections at the join so I put some half ribs in. I like what you did better. What are you going to cover the fuselage with?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Very nice....I like the wing. I did something similar in a 13th Squadron F6F which has a similar wing outline. I tried to build it without ribs but I kept getting different airfoil sections at the join so I put some half ribs in. I like what you did better. What are you going to cover the fuselage with?
Thanks. Going with posterboard believe it or not, couple coats of poly and we'll see how it works out LOL.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I really dig the hybrid materials used for the extra strength. Gives me some ideas for the old Pitts Model 12 project I was working on.
And so far I have only used hot glue to glue in the foam spars on the wing, everything else I have used wood glue. Makes the build a bit slower but in the end just as strong probably and a heck of a lot lighter.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
And so far I have only used hot glue to glue in the foam spars on the wing, everything else I have used wood glue. Makes the build a bit slower but in the end just as strong probably and a heck of a lot lighter.
Have you thought about using gorilla glue? Figure it'd cure a bit faster and maybe bond to the foam better.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Have you thought about using gorilla glue? Figure it'd cure a bit faster and maybe bond to the foam better.
yea I find it a little too messy and I can't seem to find one that doesn't expand when it cures lol. The wood glue I use is a quick dry so its not too bad

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Looks great...whats the verdict on the posterboard covering?
Frame is pretty sturdy, I personally like using posterboard but we'll see how it handles a crash soon enough LOL!. Just going to give it a coat of clear gloss and stick a few decals on it, nothing fancy. It certainly saved me a ton of weight for sure.