FAA Reauthorization Bill has new "micro UAS" provision/amendment

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
That is really great news!
Hopefully they can end the over-reach game the FAA is playing.

The part about the ATC being "privatized" is going to be an issue.
The ATC Union is all in favor of this and they feel it will help their members.
It will remove them from government control and perhaps make things less safe.
There are a lot of Congress Critters griping about this part.

Best regards,
PCH

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Maybe good news for people with small AP businesses or a realtor...but I don't see how this will apply to us hobbyists.

The rule would exempt drones under 4.4 pounds from upcoming FAA commercial drone regulations, meaning anyone could fly a drone for any purpose, so long as it’s under the weight limit. The drones would still have to be operated under 400 feet, at speeds of less than 46 MPH, within line of sight of the operator, during daylight, and at least 5 miles away from any airport.

Even if this did apply to all people and not just commercial...according to the article apparently the "during daylight" and the speed limit still sneaks through. So to those that have tricked out their planes with pretty LEDs that want to fly at night, or those with 100mph planes... I guess you all are still screwed.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Maybe good news for people with small AP businesses or a realtor...but I don't see how this will apply to us hobbyists.

Even if this did apply to all people and not just commercial...according to the article apparently the "during daylight" and the speed limit still sneaks through. So to those that have tricked out their planes with pretty LEDs that want to fly at night, or those with 100mph planes... I guess you all are still screwed.

Yeah, as I see it's it's all part of looking after ones own self-interests. Pretty clear to me that the manufacturers of aerial photography multirotors are the ones who pushed for / helped with this. Hence it will clearly make DJI Phantoms exempt if this passes.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Yeah, as I see it's it's all part of looking after ones own self-interests. Pretty clear to me that the manufacturers of aerial photography multirotors are the ones who pushed for / helped with this. Hence it will clearly make DJI Phantoms exempt if this passes.

Now the trick would be to convince congress that registration of model aircraft counts as "regulation". While registration does not directly affect the person's freedom to fly, I believe it does restrict/hinder that freedom. THEN this bill would truly be a small baby step in the right direction. Although there are still so many out there that fly models in excess of 4.4lbs. Not "drones" I mean airplanes. That means those people that fly giant scale or even larger electric, gas, or nitro at shows (sponsored pilots) would end up having to bend over to a plethora of new FAA regulations aimed at commercial industry.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
It doesn't, we are already exempt from the commercial rules.

Well, it would eliminate the issue of whether a hobbyist could post in-air-video of their flights on YouTube or other revenue generating sources and still not be considered "commercial."