FAA registration? Anyone still flying?

RacerX

The forecast for tomorrow looks to be nice enough to fly. Can I fly my "big" planes or have the regulations kicked in already?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
They don't officially kick in yet (I don't think they start until the 1st.) Go out and have your fun, I doubt anyone will ask for your registration, and it wasn't even a legally made rule.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
You're fine until February 19th 23:59:59 2016 that is the purposed deadline to register. Hopefully this dog doo legislation is shot down long before that deadline.

RacerX

Thanks Akimbo. Well, I'll be flying over my own property but I am visible from the main road nearby. My flying days are numbered!

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Thanks Akimbo. Well, I'll be flying over my own property but I am visible from the main road nearby. My flying days are numbered!

Which begs the question... Does flying a model airplane on your own property now give police probable cause to invade your private property without a warrant?

bitogre

It is my understanding based on the FAQ, it depends on when you got your aircraft. If you got it today or after today, you have to register before you fly. If you got it before today, you can fly without registering it until Feb 19th. On Feb 20th (and there after), everyone flying must be registered.

I do hope that the AMA is able to successfully challenge it or at least get the courts to issue a stay of execution before Feb 20th so that I will not have to register. On the other hand, I may register on January 20th if the AMA has not gotten a stay before then so I can take advantage of the free registration.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'm surprised congress hasn't taken the axe to it yet considering they were the people who specifically prohibited the FAA from making rules regarding model aviation.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I'm surprised congress hasn't taken the axe to it yet considering they were the people who specifically prohibited the FAA from making rules regarding model aviation.

They probably don't know yet. They are probably taking off for the holidays. I'm waiting for this subject to be presented again.

bitogre

You have that much faith in Congress?? This year was the first time they passed a budget (which they are legally required to do every year) in the last 6 years. If they cannot pass a budget for 6 years, what makes you think they will do anything in a timely fashion? It is sad but I think the courts are more likely to be more responsive than Congress.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm ready for anything. ala hobbyking.
43711.jpg

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Tim King from The CrashCast already had a local pd visit. Was testing in his front yard when the cruiser banged a u turn and then pulled in his driveway and asked if he had registered.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Tim King from The CrashCast already had a local pd visit. Was testing in his front yard when the cruiser banged a u turn and then pulled in his driveway and asked if he had registered.

Would be intresting to read his story. You have it? Again mis information sent to police. Wont take effect tell jan 19th. I knew this would happen. In my opinion its harrasment legaly you dont have to answer them unless they expect you of a crime. Even if I am registered i may inform the cop of the faa breaking the law lol.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Would be intresting to read his story. You have it? Again mis information sent to police. Wont take effect tell jan 19th. I knew this would happen. In my opinion its harrasment legaly you dont have to answer them unless they expect you of a crime. Even if I am registered i may inform the cop of the faa breaking the law lol.

From Tim King on Facebook post....

I just got a verbal warning for flying without being registered. I was doing a test hover in the front yard, checking rates and such, and a deputy drive by. As he passed, he hit the brakes, and turned around. He pulled into the driveway, I landed and picked up the quad, and he got out. We had a conversation about the FAA regs and he asked if I was registered. I told him no, not yet, since by law I didn't have to until February. He said his information said anyone flying after today needed to be registered. He advised me to "get that taken care of" as soon as possible. I thanked him, and he left.

Seems like the FAA did a bang up job educating local law enforcement..NOT.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
From Tim King on Facebook post....

I just got a verbal warning for flying without being registered. I was doing a test hover in the front yard, checking rates and such, and a deputy drive by. As he passed, he hit the brakes, and turned around. He pulled into the driveway, I landed and picked up the quad, and he got out. We had a conversation about the FAA regs and he asked if I was registered. I told him no, not yet, since by law I didn't have to until February. He said his information said anyone flying after today needed to be registered. He advised me to "get that taken care of" as soon as possible. I thanked him, and he left.

Seems like the FAA did a bang up job educating local law enforcement..NOT.

Why again is local law inforcement doing federal regulation inforcement? So should the pull every one over thats driveing and check their license?

Sneeky7

Why again is local law inforcement doing federal regulation inforcement? So should the pull every one over thats driveing and check their license?

I agree, local LE need to be educated here. You bring up a really good point-- has anyone else read the FAA's Law Enforcement Guidance for Suspected Unauthorized UAS Operations? I think it might even be worthy of it's own thread for discussion, to create a single place to talk about local LEO encounters Re: the new FAR.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf