Few Questions on various topics - question form a noob

6string

Hey all,

Couple of random questions I have. Background, never flown before (other than in simulator), and currently building my first foamy (mighty mini trainer).

1. The bind and fly plug that came with my receiver - do I need to keep this thing? I successfully bound my receiver to my transmitter, any reason to keep the plug? Is this plug specific to this receiver? Or can any plug work? Say I buy a second receiver down the road and that one comes with a bind plug, are they interchangeable? Or do I need to keep track of which is which?

2. After attaching my prop to my motor with the included rubber band, the prop flew off under full throttle while holding the power pod in my hand. Is this normal? Will the prop fly off when I get it up in the air? Do I need to get a tighter rubber band? I am using the altitude hobbies power pack, and all materials were included in the pack. I am hoping that the prop flew off simply because of the force of holding the thing in my hand and not flying forward.

3. Programming the esc - I followed the instructions to a tee and got i programmed. It involved applying full throttle to Tx, turning it on. Then plugging motor/battery to esc, listening for appropriate beeps, and moving cutting throttle. Does the ESC stay programmed after unplugging the battery? Do I need to re-follow the procedure everytime I want to fly? ESC comes default for NihM batteries, I use a lipo.

Thanks in advance!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Bind plugs are typically interchangeable. It's good to keep one around (in your field box or the like) but I won't use one for months at a time . . . then I'll need it right now to trouble-shoot something . . . don't throw them all away.

If the prop-saver band is easy to put on it's easy for the motor to throw it off. I almost never use the included band. you'll either need to get the right sized o-ring or get a length of 1/4"-ish silicone rubber tubing and cut your own. cut it to 1/4" disks and stretch it around the prop. HARD to get it on, but it's not about to come off easy. I've had a 3' length of "Theraband Blue" tube (sized by color) that I've been whittling away at for the past 2 years or so . . . and I'm not even 1/2 way through it. a little goes a LONG way.

The ESC will remember it's settings. it's too much of a pain to change it for them not to.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I found some O-rings at Home Depot that were the perfect size for my prop savers. Look in the plumbing dept.
The objective is to have them be tight enough to prevent the prop from easily stretching it, allowing the prop try to fly off under throttle and still have enough give to allow the prop to "unlink" from the hub when you nose-over your FT Flyer (a perfect landing IMHO).
I can tell when the rubber is stretching because it starts to make strange noises when you throttle up (loose prop).
They are easy to lose in the grass if you are not careful so as Dan said, a supply of spares is wise.

Best regards,
PCH