First Balsa Kit - SIG Four-Star ep20 Build Log

bliss224

For large covered areas I try to avoid layering. It is very difficult to get all the air bubbles out. I have a piece of thick glass, 24x36" that I use for seaming large sections of covering. With the heat at sealing temp a nice seam can be joined without shrinking the covering. The covering readily peels from the glass and can be transferred to the air frame. The other option is to thoroughly perforate the bottom layer, allowing the air to escape. You can also do it without the glass, but you have to be sure seams are over areas that have wood under the seam, and not the open areas of the air frame. However, from what I have seen in your pictures, your covering looks good. I have seen some absolutely wretched covering jobs before, and oddly enough, the plane still flies. In fact, they look fine in the air!!

Thanks for advice! Its going to come in handy when I start on the larger areas.

I wouldn't worry about the bubbles between the covering, if it is fairly large just poke a small hole in the top part of the covering and iron it out, it should be fine.

That plane looks awesome! I went back and pocked some holes in the larger bubbles and it does look much better.

bliss224

Here are a couple of update pics. Not much work done as I am figuring out how to start on the fuselage.

sigstab1.jpg sigstab2.jpg

bliss224

Did some work on the fuse and got most of it finished. Not sure If I am gonna pinstripe it but it is definitely gonna get some smaller decals. I also dry fitted some of the pieces just to get a feel for how it is coming together. So far I am still unhappy with the elevator and it will most likely get rebuilt.

sigfuse1.jpg sigfuse2.jpg sigfuse3.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I like the trim. Are you doing something similar to the wings? If you do a similar scheme,be sure to do the bottom side differently so you can keep orientation better.

bliss224

I like the trim. Are you doing something similar to the wings? If you do a similar scheme,be sure to do the bottom side differently so you can keep orientation better.

I am doing something similar with the wings but I accidentally screwed up the angle of the trim on the wings. It is going the opposite way of what I intended, but I actually like the way it came out. I am still not sure if I am going to do the same thing on the opposite side or just use a large sig decal.

sigwing1.jpg sigiwng2.jpg

That looks really good. With a big SIG logo on the other wing, it would be pretty cool. Just make sure the bottom is different, or it make orientation a real challenge in low lighting.

bliss224

That looks really good. With a big SIG logo on the other wing, it would be pretty cool. Just make sure the bottom is different, or it make orientation a real challenge in low lighting.

That is a really good point on orientation. I actually already did straight vertical black bars on the bottom of each wing just didn't take a picture of the bottom yet.

bliss224

Progress continues! I have all assemblies are covered and have their decals. Here is what it all looks like with a dry fit. Even though this was probably one of the easiest kits out there I made my fair share of mistakes and have a new appreciation for kit builders. I noticed alot of heavy handed sanding has left imperfections in the airframe and there are a bunch of things I will do differently during the assembly process next time. Even know its not great (pictures hide a lot) I believe it will fly and fly well. I have a bit more to learn before I would tackle any future kits as the ones I like (larger scale citabria) are not mistake friendly for builders or flyers.

sig assemblies2.jpg sigassemblies1.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That looks great, especially for your first balsa kit! Hopefully you enjoyed the challenge and result enough to keep you coming back for future builds. Each one gets easier as you learn the tricks, what needs to be done, and what you can skip because it will be hidden.

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
Looking good!!!!!! I cant remember if you said it already , but what you going to use for a power system??

Rcgary24

Crash Test Pilot!
Ive heard good things about HiMax , the only thing that kept me away is the price(never could afford one) , i did buy a used slowstick that had a Himax inrunner , that thing was a beast!!!!! Just like on your kadet Senior thread , i would love to see video of your maiden on this one as well!!!!!!!

bliss224

That looks great, especially for your first balsa kit! Hopefully you enjoyed the challenge and result enough to keep you coming back for future builds. Each one gets easier as you learn the tricks, what needs to be done, and what you can skip because it will be hidden.

Thanks! It definitely is a learning experience but I really did enjoy the build process. After seeing how I progess this flying season I am seriously considering a sig or seagul models citabria kit.

Looking good!!!!!! I cant remember if you said it already , but what you going to use for a power system??
Thanks! Balsa to Foam is right I was initially considering the Himax motor. I was selecting it mostly for easy of installation to the firewall, but seeing how incredibly expensive they are I might look into other options.

Just like on your kadet Senior thread , i would love to see video of your maiden on this one as well!!!!!!!
I can't wait to get these up in the air! I do however have to get a camera other then my phone to use for this stuff. probably a mobius i can attach to a hat or something like that.

and....Here is some more progress. The wheels are ones I had on hand but they are a bit big for the plane. Would be awesome for grass landings though.

sigep201.jpg sigep202.jpg sigep203.jpg

bliss224

Hi all sorry for the lack of updates. Was waiting on some funding for the electronics that will be going into this build. I initially had grand plans of a himax motor, castle esc, and metal gear servos all around, but that didn't really work out this time. I decided to go with Leopard Hobby motor from altitude hobbies (have had great luck with their stuff in the past), a reliable 40amp hobbywing esc I already own, hitec hs-81s for the rudder and ailerons, and a hs-82 metal gear servo for the elevator. For now I will hook it all up with an orangerx six channel receiver but I am thinking that is going to get switched out for a genuine Spektrum one.

Pictures will follow soon.

bliss224

Here are the pics as promised. Electronics are installed and ready to go. All she needs is some programming in the transmitter and its all set for the future maiden.

sigep1.jpg sigep2.jpg sigep3.jpg sigep4.jpg sigep5.jpg