First Build...Making all the mistakes

Icedog

Trying to wrap-up the wing today...first set of D-Day stripes. The gloss will be knocked-down with a prep pad before overcoating with matte clear. Fuselage tomorrow then decals and some airbrush detailing...

Attachments

• 20220602_115917.jpg
    20220602_115917.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Icedog

Wing is FINISHED! I need to clear-coat over the roundels but that's it. I was going to spend some time panelining and weathering but as the car guys say-this is meant to be a driver and not a trailer queen-so it's good enough. I'm having a bit of a struggle with masking the fuselage so rather than obsess over the wing I'm going to go back to that.

And as Ratcheroo reminded...."build, fly, crash, repeat"...

20220603_104756.jpg

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Wing is FINISHED! I need to clear-coat over the roundels but that's it. I was going to spend some time panelining and weathering but as the car guys say-this meant to be a driver and not a trailer queen-so it's good enough. I'm having a bit of a struggle with masking the fuselage so rather than obsess over the wing I'm going to go back to that.

And as Ratcheroo reminded...."build, fly, crash, repeat"...

View attachment 226605
In the air it will look like a million bucks, nice job my friend(y)(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Learning to live with the fact that perfect is the enemy of good-enough. Fuselage stripes done so I wait overnight, add the last decals/clear and then about a radio, battery/batteries, charger, receiver.....

View attachment 226608
Around here we call that OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Build Disorder :ROFLMAO:. I suffer badly from it LOL. Here are a couple pics of my Spit, used vinyl instead of paint, added landing gear after the fact (might be an upgrade/mod to consider for yours)

IMG_20220603_173824188_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220603_173650766.jpg

dylanbeaudette

I'm moving in the direction of building a tiny trainer to start with. Seems like a good way to start while I'm working on the finish of the Spitfire....seems like a slow enough flyer to learn on.

We started with a Simple Cub and it was too much plane… The TT was a nice way to start over and get some practice in. The DR1 was a nice step up from there. Our TT was recently wrecked beyond repair, but I’m looking forward to building another one soon.

Icedog

Around here we call that OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Build Disorder :ROFLMAO:. I suffer badly from it LOL. Here are a couple pics of my Spit, used vinyl instead of paint, added landing gear after the fact (might be an upgrade/mod to consider for yours)

View attachment 226609 View attachment 226610

Holy s**t that is freaking awsome...I love the bubble canopy. Much more authentic and your decals are much more to scale..very nice build. I do like the landing gear-is that homebrew or from somewhere on-line?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Holy s**t that is freaking awsome...I love the bubble canopy. Much more authentic and your decals are much more to scale..very nice build. I do like the landing gear-is that homebrew or from somewhere on-line?
There is a you tube video that a guy put up that shows how to do it , here is the link
, the canopy I got off the forum here, I can't remember who posted it but if you search here for spitfire canopy you should be able to find it.

Icedog

et voila! Well the construction is 99.9% complete...I went to paint the yellow leading edge stripe and realized I hadn't gotten any yellow paint...later, or maybe not. I started construction with no thought to electronics or even flying...so I guess now's the time. Do I go with the Aura lite and have a fighting chance of being able to learn to fly on the spit or do I go with a straight receiver and "build, fly, crash, repeat". The store doesn't seem to have a full selection of transmitters right now...decisions, decisions.

20220604_095731.jpg

Bo123

Elite member
et voila! Well the construction is 99.9% complete...I went to paint the yellow leading edge stripe and realized I hadn't gotten any yellow paint...later, or maybe not. I started construction with no thought to electronics or even flying...so I guess now's the time. Do I go with the Aura lite and have a fighting chance of being able to learn to fly on the spit or do I go with a straight receiver and "build, fly, crash, repeat". The store doesn't seem to have a full selection of transmitters right now...decisions, decisions.

View attachment 226626
I would definiately try the Aura. But first, you have to remember, all this time and effort you have put towards making it look nice will go to waste when it ultimately smashes into the ground. Either invest in an Aura, or invest in a trainer. Personally I would go the latter.

Icedog

I would definiately try the Aura. But first, you have to remember, all this time and effort you have put towards making it look nice will go to waste when it ultimately smashes into the ground. Either invest in an Aura, or invest in a trainer. Personally I would go the latter.

I pretty much figure that until I get some actual flying in I'll probably always have to have a replacement plane under construction. I like the idea of a trainer because it crashes slow....

Icedog

There is a you tube video that a guy put up that shows how to do it , here is the link
, the canopy I got off the forum here, I can't remember who posted it but if you search here for spitfire canopy you should be able to find it.

That is a very nice setup for the wheels...I don't know yet if there is even a hard-surface field around here (I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico) but I think I might prep the wheel setup just in case...thanks for this link.

checkerboardflyer

On a few of the forums I saw modelers using Painter’s Tape to mask larger shapes on their models. They used several or many strips laid down, then trimmed around the edges. There’s a less tedious way to do the same using something called Frisket Paper. You can buy a low tack version or high tack and it comes in sheets or rolls. It worked well for me. More tips for foam board R/C builders on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

frisket paper for masking 1024 - 1.jpeg

frisket paper for masking 1024 - 4.jpeg

frisket paper for masking 1024 - 6.jpeg

Icedog

On a few of the forums I saw modelers using Painter’s Tape to mask larger shapes on their models. They used several or many strips laid down, then trimmed around the edges. There’s a less tedious way to do the same using something called Frisket Paper. You can buy a low tack version or high tack and it comes in sheets or rolls. It worked well for me. More tips for foam board R/C builders on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

View attachment 226676

View attachment 226678
View attachment 226679

I have heard of frisket as a masking agent...but frankly didn't even think of it. I've seen this type of making for camo used by plastic model builders to good effect.