First FT Arrow trouble

BrandenP

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and generally new to the hobby. I started back in March of last year and have since scratch built the Mini Scout, Tiny Trainer, and Mini Speedster, which have all flown wonderfully. I just finished building the Mini Arrow using Elmer foamboard from Walmart, which I understand is slightly heavier but must be too much for the Power Pack A motor (Emaxx 1806 2300kv) with a 6*4 prop because it only flies as far as I can launch it at full throttle with a 3s battery. Would a change in prop size make it fly or do I need to save up for Power Pack F?

Bricks

Master member
I have used the Bordens foam board it is heaver by a bit. That would be your best bet is going with a larger motor. All the extra weight will make it fly faster but a benefit is it will handle wind better.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and generally new to the hobby. I started back in March of last year and have since scratch built the Mini Scout, Tiny Trainer, and Mini Speedster, which have all flown wonderfully. I just finished building the Mini Arrow using Elmer foamboard from Walmart, which I understand is slightly heavier but must be too much for the Power Pack A motor (Emaxx 1806 2300kv) with a 6*4 prop because it only flies as far as I can launch it at full throttle with a 3s battery. Would a change in prop size make it fly or do I need to save up for Power Pack F?

This is you first pusher correct? Have you verified that the numbers on the prop are facing forward and that the motor is spinning in the correct direction?

When you are holding the plane and you gun the motor, does it feel like it's thrusting forward good?

jtrops

This is you first pusher correct? Have you verified that the numbers on the prop are facing forward and that the motor is spinning in the correct direction?

When you are holding the plane and you gun the motor, does it feel like it's thrusting forward good?

This is good advice. I knew better and still blew through two batteries last week before I realized the prop was on backwards. It was spinning the right direction, but the efficiency drops through the floor when the numbers don't face forward.

BrandenP

Yeah this is my first pusher and I believe I had the prop on correct but I'll make sure I do that when I set it up for flight tomorrow.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Hey Branden, Welcome to the forum! I have a fleet of Arrows ranging from the mild Emax 1806 to a wild 4s Emax RS2205. The 1806 flies much better on a light set-up. Besides checking the prop do you have a way to measure the all up weight of you arrow? I find that once the model exceeds the FT suggested AUW of 245g a stiff toss is required to get the wing in the air. If you throw it lightly it will end up sinking into the ground before it gets enough airspeed to remain in the air. Half of the battle with a flying wing is the launch!

BrandenP

Yes, I had a friend "jumpstart" the plane by throwing it overhead and it flew awesome! Thank ya for the help