First FT Build - Scratchbuilt Explorer

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
After several decades away from the hobby of building and flying model airplanes I decided to take the plunge into RC (used to be a control line guy). Imagine coming into the hobby after a 40 year absence to find airplanes made of foam, cheap radio sets and batteries that will fly a big plane for 5-15 minutes! My eFlight Apprentice complete and ready to go cost less than a just good radio tx/rx combo would have cost 30 years ago!

Then I stumbled onto FliteTest on YouTube and saw these guys building airplanes out of Dollar Tree foam board! For a scratch-builder we're talking $15 all up for a complete airplane! Needless to say, I had to give that a try so, taking my limited but advancing flying skills in mind, I selected the FT Explorer, 3 channel trainer version as my first project. I wanted something I could hand launch and belly land off of grass and other unimproved sites and this plane looked like it would fit the bill nicely.

Learning how to piece together the tiled plans from my printer was the first, and quite frankly, biggest challenge. Once I had that figured out the plane went together very smoothly. Granted, it took me many more hours than would have been needed had I ordered the kit. And, counting the cost of the printer ink, paper, the fact that I did have to buy a bundle of BBQ skewers and a package of coffee stirrer straws, I may not have saved all that much. But to me, half the fun of this hobby is building the planes.

I followed Josh's advice about the preflight checklist for a maiden flight. Then gave her a nice toss (my first ever hand launch) and she arced into the sky, did a smooth wingover and went straight into the turf! Crunched the nose but not much else in the way of damage. Looked very closely at the elevator and discovered a slight down-pitch. (Aha!) Trimmed that up. Trimmed in a little right rudder. This time with almost full power gave it another toss. She wobbled a bit but continued to climb gaining speed all the time. I got my heart back down out of my throat to where it belonged, found the joysticks on the transmitter and brought the plane back into reasonable control.

Did I mention that all the flying I've done so far has been with the eFlight Apprentice in the Intermediate mode? This was my first time flying an RC plane without the transmitter instilling limitations on the plane's performance.

After a very satisfactory first flight I brought her back around into the wind and plopped it nicely near my feet. I was completely stoked! A fresh battery and off again!

So the maiden flight was a success except for the damage to the nose. Here I discovered the beauty of having scratch-built the plane. When I got home I printed the appropriate sheets from the plans, grabbed some leftover foam board, and in about 45 minutes had a brand new nose for the plane. This one was better executed than my first one so the plane gained from the experience. :)

Below are pics of my Explorer when first completed. It was buck naked like this on its maiden flights. I have since given it a more presentable (and visible) coat of paint to wear and am looking forward to many happy hours with my new park flyer.

Thanks Josh and all for getting these planes out to us. Great build. Great how-to-videos. Good stuff at good prices from your store. Keep it up. I'm a fan!

Attachments

• Explorer_1sm.JPG
    Explorer_1sm.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Explorer_2.JPG
    Explorer_2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

mjmccarron

My eFlight Apprentice complete and ready to go cost less than a just good radio tx/rx combo would have cost 30 years ago!

I too have been at this hobby for about 40 years. I started with control line around 1970 and got into RC in 1978. What really bugs me is the literally thousands of $ I have into radio gear (basic stuff that doesn't even have servo reversing. Remember when we had to plan the radio gear layout?) and internal combustion engines just sitting around now being replaced by foam board and computerized radios.

Welcome back! Nice looking bird!
Mike

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
I too have been at this hobby for about 40 years. I started with control line around 1970 and got into RC in 1978. What really bugs me is the literally thousands of $ I have into radio gear (basic stuff that doesn't even have servo reversing. Remember when we had to plan the radio gear layout?) and internal combustion engines just sitting around now being replaced by foam board and computerized radios.

Welcome back! Nice looking bird!
Mike

Thanks Mike. If you know anyone who wants an old Fox or McCoy 35 I have several I'd be happy to sell. LOL

Cheers bud. Thanks for the post! :)

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
gongrats and welcome to a great and fun hobby and a really nice job with painting

Thanks Griff -

Only issue I'm having now is that I want to build more and more but don't know where I'd keep them all! I doubt that I'm alone in that predicament. LOL

Cheers and have a great weekend!

mactek

Glad your first build and flight was a success and welcome to the wonderful world of Flitetest. As for building more planes i never have more than 3 Flitetest planes at a time. Most of the planes the electronics are interchangeable so you build a couple then they get damaged and start to not look to good Then you build another and move the electronics over. Its such a great system. I seem to always have a new one on the bench.

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
So I had the opportunity to re-learn one of the fundamentals of flight - heavy planes don't fly very well. My beautifully painted Explorer came in at over two pounds and that is way too heavy for this airplane. Lesson learned: Watch the weight of everything - and that includes paint.

Threw the plane in the trash can (except for the electronics) and $8 and several hours later had a brand new Explorer. Tipped the scales with battery at 27 oz. Will fly it later this week with the help of someone to do the launching. To be continued ...

Explorer Mk 2_2sm.JPG