First scratch build. PLEASE HELP!!!!

trip786

HI folk.
Hoping someone can help me out here.

I been flying for almost a year now, fly quite a few plug and fly.
But decided to build my very first scratch build.

Naturally I went with the F22 raptor because it's super easy and simple to cut, cut everything free hand with a box cutter.
basically cut 2 of everything from 3mm laminated foam and glued it together to add some strength.

Not sure what the weight of the plane is, but it feels quite heavy.

I put a 2218 1400Kv motor on it with an 8x4 prop to start with. Crashed it a few times trying to take off. xD

Couldn't figure out how to launch it, kept rolling and then hitting the floor.
eventually I got it flying by some stroke of luck. I mean really, a pure stroke of luck.

It flew, but it was horribly underpowered, as in extremely difficult to turn with bank and yank.
looses altitude even from the lightest turn, almost impossible to roll, and impossible to loop.

Then I put a 9x6 prop on the same motor and burned the motor to the point it failed and burned the mounting board brown.

I've ordered a new motor, 2830 1300KV and I'm going to put the 9x6 prop on it and try again.

Can you guys please take a look at what I said, take a look at the video of me flying it and advise on what it wrong here and how to fix it.

I feel that I built it to heavy, so my logic is put a bigger prop and motor to get the thrust way up from 730g to 1100g.

And 6 pitch for some more speed. link to vid is below. I get it to fly at 5:5 and after the landing, the next few launches are a complete disaster again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DZ8XvcyEw&feature=youtu.be

daxian

Elite member
hi ...is it possible you have the prop on the wrong way ?? numbers on the prop should should face the direction of travel/to the front of plane !

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Prop is backwards.

prop.jpg

Also, with that I would grab it by the cockpit area and toss it more upward. It's not going to fly flat, most of the time it will be flying slightly nose up to keep the air hitting the bottom of the plane like a kite.

~Fred

trip786

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

But the prop is on the correct way, look at the picture posted :) The inner spoon of the prop is facing the tail.
Trust me on that one, I know how to mount the prop, and make sure the motor is spinning the correct way. That's not the issue.

Something else is.

trip786

I'll go borrow a scale later and get the actual weight of the plane including the battery, maybe that info will help a bit.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Fred, I had the same thimg in my arrow. Kept wondering what the heck, motors where hot, and a plane that flew perfectly one day went like a weak battery the next. Difference was a new, backward-installed prop. Glad you figured got it now.

trip786

OK plane is 980 grams with battery.

Now to find my problem, which nobody has answered yet?

I will install a 9x6 prop on a 2830 1300 KV motor.

Any advise?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
OK plane is 980 grams with battery.

Now to find my problem, which nobody has answered yet?

I will install a 9x6 prop on a 2830 1300 KV motor.

Any advise?

Can you give us a picture of the prop on the motor?

I know you said you have it on properly, but the picture says otherwise. Unless that prop is different from every one I own.

trip786

motor is burned out, so it's off the plane.

Maybe the question isn't clear, i'm going to put on a 9x6 prop with a 2830 1300KV motor.
Is that a good combo for the plane at the weight of 980 grams.

(maybe the picture looks weird to you, it's a gasser from bit thick mid section, but trust me the prop is on the correct way, the numbers 8x4 is facing towards the nose of the plane, that is not rocket science, any fool will get that right, so can we skip past that, cause it isn't even an issue.)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
For a plane at just over 2 pounds, I think your 8x4 was not enough prop. I could find generic specs on the 2218 1400 but I think your conclusion in the vid is correct - not enough power.

The 2830 and 9x6 should be fine.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice! I also saw the vid at lake Bled. I was there with work in May, staying in Ljubljana. Weather was brilliant so the lake and the city were gorgeous.

DamoRC