Help! Help with my first rc plane build

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Mr NCT, I usually get about 3-4 major crashes out of a plane, that is addition to countless minor repairs.
By then the foam is pretty much limped out. It's time to take out the guts and but then in the new plane that is waiting on the work bench.

ccc

How should i start the takeoff I do not have landing gear? Also what should I do when It goes straight up even when the CGs right and jams left?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Wow, also what is your technique for painting them and finally taking them off smoothly?
The first one was built with yellow covered foam board that's about twice as heavy as the FT board or Dollar Tree. Number 2 was dollar tree board and coated with minwax poly and then sprayed with white paint then masked and finished in orange. The third one is dollar tree and @Rasterize skins (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/rasterize-skins-for-the-ft-simple-cub.39/). For those you strip off the paper on the foam board and glue on the printed skins.
A lot of people like to use colored packing tape, adds color and strength.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Take offs: Most of the year I don't have a smooth surface to take off so I hand launch. About 60% - 70% throttle and a toss at about 30 degrees up and ready with right rudder to compensate for prop torque. Taking off from the ground is get it rolling then throttle up with right rudder again.

ccc

I have the Flite test power pack A, and I'm in the mood to build something (preferably an electric glider) Anyone have any suggestions and plans?

JDSnavely

I have the Flite test power pack A, and I'm in the mood to build something (preferably an electric glider) Anyone have any suggestions and plans?
So far, the only thing I like flying with the "A" motor is the Mini Scout. Great without stabilization but be sure to use landing gear as this makes it very stable flier. With 2S it is so light a crash will not likely cause damage. Except maybe the landing gear. The landing gear is easy to fix. I now build the MS with a BBQ skewer as a pivot for the square that the wheels are attached to. add a second BBQ skewer through the fuselage a little toward the rear to attach a small rubber band for spring loading. Now they rarely even bend on hard landings.

Reactions: ccc

Foamforce

The Tiny Trainer with the training wing is essentially a powered glider and it uses the A pack. I highly recommend it. My son’s first plane was a Cub, be he had trouble flying it and wasn’t very interested. We built him a Tiny Trainer and he loves it. He’s 8 and today he flew it for about 30 minutes, in a streamer battle, and although he had a couple rough landings and broken props, he didn’t damage the plane. I enjoy flying it too. It’s wonderfully predictable plane.

ccc

I actually just started the old speedster. Do you guys think that was a good plane for a complete noob like me? Also, hod do people trim the plane, so it flies right?

JDSnavely

The great thing about scratch building is trying whatever you like without much risk or loss. When we started in the hobby, my oldest son and I liked flying predictable planes with the most chance of success in flying them. My youngest son always liked the most difficult to fly "coolest looking" planes. With hobby planes this was a problem $$$. With scratch built planes I told the youngest to go for it. And he has. It's nice that FT rates the build difficulty and flying difficulty. Most of all, have fun! I make sure to maiden with my boys as I will hand the transmitter to them if the plane flies great... or we get a good laugh if I have a crash... Either way, we have a good time.

MrKilometer

There are trim switches by each stick on your transmitter, one for the elevator, ailerons, and rudder, as well as the throttle. If, for instance, your plane has a tendency to pitch down in flight, you'll want to add a few "clicks" of up elevator trim (pull the elevator trim switch towards you). The same process can be repeated for yaw and roll as well.

As an aside, most people trim their airplanes in the air, but if you don't feel comfortable taking your hand off of the stick in flight, you can do adjust the trim on the ground - just be careful to do it in small steps.

ccc

I just built the mini speedster and with a 850 3c it is just over 200 grams is that two much to fly?

ccc

It is the power pack A with that motor, a flysky i6 receiver, 850 mAh 3c, and a 6x3 prop making the plane weigh a little over 200 grams. So I am using 1806 2280 Kv motor with the 6x3 prop.