Help! Help with my first rc plane build

ccc

Thank you now where should I put expo, and how do I put it on my plane with my flysky i6? After that, can I fly it, or is there more I have to do?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I'm not familiar with your radio but here is a video on how to set up expo and dual rates on the flysky i6:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Expo makes movement in the middle range of the stick on the tx cause less than normal movement on the control surface of the airplane. That gives you finer control in the middle range of your stick movement and helps keep you from "over controlling" the plane.

Reactions: ccc

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
And just to clarify I did not really understand what expo was, so can you tell me?
expo is where instead of the "how much you move your stick - how much your control surface moves" ratio being graphed as as traight line, it is graphed as a curve, so you have less, and calmer controls when you dont move hte stick too much, but if you need a lot of throw, you move hte stick more and you get full throw

ccc

The other guy said I should put 30 to 40 % should i put it on all channels? So now am I ready to fly the plane?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The other guy said I should put 30 to 40 % should i put it on all channels? So now am I ready to fly the plane?
30 to 40 is hte expo. dual rates should be 65 and 100, adjust if needed. That is what I fly with, and it flys fine. Once you get some experience it cmoes down to personal preference. et the expo to 30 to start. yes put that on all channels, other htan the throttle, change NOTHING on the throttle channel. what transmitter are you using?

ccc

Flysky FS-i6 6CH 2.4GHz AFHDS RC Transmitter w/FS-iA6B Receiver for RC Multirotor Helicopter Airplane Glider Quadcopter (Model_2)​

Thank you and for dual rates should i make a switch change them?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here is how I have my Simple Cub set up:
Aileron: LR(low rate): 65% Expo 20%
HR(high rate): 100% Expo 40%
Elevator: LR: 75% Expo 20%
HR 100% Expo 40%
Rudder: LR: 75% Expo 20%
HR: 100% Expo 40%

I go with higher expos on high rates so that the center range of the stick feels the same on both HR and LR. Just my preference.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Oh you have a simple cub?? Has it ever flied and if so has it flied well?
Yes, I am now flying my 3rd Simple Cub. My first one was my 3rd or 4th plane as I was learning to fly, I built it too heavy and it didn't last long. I think the cub is good for your 4th or 5th plane, just my experience. It's not as easy to fly as a tiny trainer or explorer. Now that I've been flying for a few years I enjoy my cub #3.

Timmy

Legendary member
@ccc maybe you should start with the flight test beginner series, they show you eveerything you need to know as a begginer. Then you can come to the forums with more specific questions that are beyond these videos. Make sure you watch all the videos thoroughly. Don't just skip through. They will help you have a more rewarding flying experience as you will be able to diagnose your issues on the fly (pun intended) and not have to stop flying if you encounter an issue.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here are the 3 Cubs. The first 2 met horrible deaths due to my lack of flying skill.

IMG_2927.JPG IMG_3060.JPG IMG_4335.JPG

Foamforce

Make sure you do NEGATIVE 30 expo in your fs-i6 like it says in the video. Most people take about “30 or 40 expo” and on most radios it would be positive 30 or 40, but is backwards on the fs-i6. Due to this, I learned to fly with opposite expo, which made me learning experience harder instead of easier. 😂 Fwiw, the fs-i6x (with the x) is a very similar radio, but that one takes a positive expo, so make sure you actually have an fs-i6 and not an fs-i6x. Good luck!

ccc

Alright, thank you guys again! Should I just hold off with flying the Cub and scratch Build the FT explorer as a practice plane? If I do that I have the FT power pack C and a 3c 1800, and should I use a 9x 4.5 prop which is what I currently have?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Alright, thank you guys again! Should I just hold off with flying the Cub and scratch Build the FT explorer as a practice plane? If I do that I have the FT power pack C and a 3c 1800, and should I use a 9x 4.5 prop which is what I currently have?
That combo will work on the explorer very well.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
If you are like I was when I started the first few planes didn't last very long. You get really worried about your first plane and then less and less worried as you build more. When you crash you usually break only the foam board and sometimes the prop - the 2 cheapest parts of the plane. My first couple of planes were too far beyond my flying ability but gave me motivation to build and fly trainers even though they're not as pretty. Even as easy as the explorer is to fly I'm on my 4th set of wings and I've lost count of the number of noses.

So my advise.... fly the cub and keep fixing it until it's unfixable then build the explorer and do the same. You'll know you're improving when you can fly and land and fly again without repairing something.

Have Fun!!