Flite Fest 2014 Campers Area

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I thought I'd start a thread for folks to list their favorite camping tips as well as a place to ask questions about camping at Flite Fest 2014. Not that I have any answers! :p Guess I'll start with some basics.

Malvern Ohio Average Weather in July:
Average High 81°F
Average Low 61°F
The most precipitation on average occurs in July. 4.09”
For those who like to prepare for anything:
Highest recorded temperature was 103°F in 1988.
Lowest recorded temperature was -34°F in 1994.

With that, here is a reasonable start on checklist for camping:

[ ] Light sweater or jacket.
[ ] Rain gear like a raincoat or poncho.
[ ] Brimmed hat or ball cap.
[ ] Sunglasses.
[ ] Sunscreen.
[ ] Bug spray.
[ ] Shorts and t-shirt weight shirts. One more change than you think you will need.
[ ] Flashlights for getting around at night. Headlamps are nice when you have your arms full of planes!
[ ] Lanterns (I use electric) for lighting your work area and E-Z Up.
[ ] If you’re tent camping a ground tarpaulin and rainfly are nice to have in case we hit the dew point...or it rains!
[ ] An air mattress or cot will get you off the ground. A good night rest (what sleep you can get!) means a better days flying!
[ ] Sleeping bag of no more than a 30° rating. Warm is easy. Cold is not if you aren’t prepared.
[ ] E-Z Up type canopy will keep either the sun or rain off of you and you models. Highly recommended. Buddy up or bring your own.
[ ] Folding chairs. You’ll eventually get tired of standing.
[ ] A folding plastic work table or two. Available from your local Sams/Costco/BJ’s/Walmart
[ ] Comfortable shoes or boots.
[ ] Socks-- Twice as many as you think you’ll need.
[ ] Sandals, water shoes or Crocs if you plan on showering. Some waterproof footwear is always good to bring along.
[ ] Instead of or in addition too a shower you can use baby wipes. You can get them in big tubs. They are a effective means of bathing. They use them in the hospitals. They work.
[ ] Small first aid kit.
[ ] Toiletries and towels.
[ ] Medications if any.
[ ] Food* and drink as well as associated cookware and utensils.
[ ] Quart or gallon sized plastic ziplock type bag. I never know why I bring them but I always use them.
[ ] Portable garbage container and plastic garbage bags. Assuming it will be what you carry in, you carry out trash wise.
[ ] AMA card so you can fly
[ ] Fill in every other nook and cranny with RC stuff!

* As for cooking food, I have been told that there will be no campfires allowed but there will be a "community fire". So bring food that would be suited for cooking over a "community fire" or prepare meals that require no heating. Not sure on camp stoves.

Feel free to add on!
See you there!

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Camping Questions:

When and where are the camping fees due? Can you pre-pay?

Do any of the Kickstarter rewards cover camping fees?

Will there be camping on the flight line? If so, are there space limits? (20x10 etc) What will and will not be allowed (E-Z Ups, tents size, RV's, travel trailers, pop-up campers)?

If not allowed on the flight line how far from the flight line will the RV/Travel trailers be if not allowed on the flight line? (for those with mobility issues or don't want a "split camp")

Open Flames: I’m assuming no fires on the ground. How about a raised metal fire pit with a screen lid? If so, will there be a place for ashes?

Trash: Will there be a dumpster or is it carry in, carry out?

Generator Guidelines: Allowed? Time of operation, max decibel level?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Good questions rasterize! I too was wondering about camping fees as it was not stated in the kickstarter. It has been stated that they will keep to one community bonfire. More bonding/friendshipping that way.

Imanewb

Good questions rasterize! I too was wondering about camping fees as it was not stated in the kickstarter. It has been stated that they will keep to one community bonfire. More bonding/friendshipping that way.

I wish they would have had a kick starter option to pay for flight registration and camping... I have the cash now but I'm learning about sooo many shiny new toys like quad rotors, fpv gear, mini racing quads, I may be broke come flitetest :)

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Off site camping info straight from the Flite Fest FAQ:
There is a campsite 5 minutes from the Flite Fest location that will accommodate campers and RVs.
They will also have electric, water, and sewer available.

For rates and additional info please call: (330) 863-1909

Pride Valley Campgrounds
9108 Lee Road NW
Malvern, OH 44644

Team_Monkey

Most of these events have you place your pit tent on a flight line and set your camping tent elsewhere. I know this is their first event but if they do the usual, that's it.

Fires will only be the community fire, no separate fires. Can't recall if that's from the FAQ or a podcast...

bitogre

Camping Questions:

When and where are the camping fees due? Can you pre-pay?

Do any of the Kickstarter rewards cover camping fees?

A lot of good questions. Unfortunately, I have not seen answers to most of the questions. Here are the answers I have seen/heard.

All camping registration will be done on site at the event. While not specifically stated, the comments about it did the imply that there would be no pre-registration/paying for camping. They were thinking of having some of the Kickstarter rewards cover camping fees but then realized that doing so would over complicate the kickstarted rewards so they decided to drop that part.

Rasterize

Mentor
Willsonman, team-monkey and bitogre - Thanks for the reply's!

If any of you hear confirmation on the camping arrangements, please give me a heads up. Here is my think thus far:

If camping by the flight line is allowed in lets say a 10X30 foot space, I'm thinking an E-Z UP type canopy, tent and my midsized SUV for occasional power.

If there is no camping by the flight line but I can keep the E-Z up canopy there, then I will bring my 33 ft Jayco travel trailer as it is lockable. I don't have a generator so that's the down side. Maybe I can find a non-smoker with a camping friendly (3000 watt, honda EU3000IS type would be great!) generator. They can use the bunk house part which sleeps 4 in exchange for generator use. Nothing like a mid day AC break!

As for fire pits, good to know about the community fire. Did they say no open flame? How about butane type camp stoves?

Thanks guys! Can't wait!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm thinking the setup plans are very set in jello ATM (they're likely still waiting for an idea how big this will scale), My understanding is they've been working closely with the organizers of SEFF to put their ducks in neat orderly rows . . . so some "how they did it" might apply to FTFF:

The spaces along the flightlines themselves, were marked in a 10x10' grid, 30' deep and along the length of the flite line. Some spots were pre-reserved for vendors/sponsers (unlikley here, since we're all sponsers). The unreserved spots were pre-marked, first come-first serve, and were primarily for pit-tents. breaks in the grids for walkways were marked out at regular intervals, and usually left clear for traffic (IIRC, the FT RV was moved into one of these walkways . . . so I suppose exceptions were made where it made sense).

In most cases, friends or clubs would claim a 10x30, 20x30 or even 30x30 block and create little tent city's out of ez-ups. occationally the back row would be used for someone's camping tent or parking space, and cars generally parked behind in the no-mans land. it also wasn't uncommon for folks to set airframes in the walkway just in front of the ez-ups (more often than not with "for sale" signs on them), but usually no more than 5-6' or so out, and never as an impedidment to traffic. The only "encouragment" I heard durring the week was one of the staffers ensuring we stayed within the 10x10 boundaries if the neighboring spot was unoccupied . . . to give the newcommer full advantage of their space. After spots were filled, it was expected neighbors respect each other's space, and work out any sharing of overlap.

RV, camper, and pop-up trailers were given designated spots in the next two to four rows behind the flight line, assigned by the event staff durring the day -- for night arrivals, there was a staging area they could park for the night and would move in the mornining . . . that works well for a week long event, but not sure they're planning to do this for such a short but busy event. Tent campers (by my understanding -- Bitoger can correct me if I'm wrong) were generally pointed to unreserved areas on a first come, first serve.

As for heat . . . Camp stoves were allowed, but so were raised fire pits . . . which may not be allowed at FTFF -- we know there's a big bondfire, but they haven't said raised pits are forbidden. IMO, pits and propane camp stoves are two different creatures, but still subject to the wishes of the field owners.

Smoking on Mac's field was as common and you'd expect for any outdoor event, but ABSOLUTLY no Cig butts on the ground. One of Mac's big hotbuttons and it was respected. Clean up of debris around the tent/pit/RV areas wasn't enforced, but it was STRONGLY encouraged, and most people picked up after themselves -- it's amazing how much little white pieces of foam building a Bloody Wonder will make . . . and don't get me started about scraps after repairs . . .

Again, for SEFF, this works. Phil (A great guy, who is generally in charge of parking RV's) was stuck all week playing motor-home tetris, but he did it well. There were also a good group of friendly staff who gently nudged folks into being good, safe neighbors, and on the whole they had a happy crowd to work with.

I know the're trying to learn what they can from the SEFF crew and they'll likley be watching the Nall crew for ideas too, but FTFF is it's own event. Expect to see a lot of these patterns at FTFF . . . but be flexable with the differences.

Rasterize

Mentor
Thanks Dan! I've only been to two other events on one was indoor! Nice to read the description of SEFF.
The other out door event I attended was NEAT which was in the 400+ registered pilot size range. It to was held on a private runway and spaces on the flight line were 10 wide by 30 deep and almost everyone had the canopy/tent/vehicle arrangement. However the airfield was also at a full hookup campground so many people did both RV's and canopies.
I'm flexible either way. Plenty of time to decide.

7AC

I'm not camping overnight but I would like to set up an EZup on the flite line. Do you suppose I will have to register as a camper?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
you'll have to wait for the official rulling on that, but in my experience, no.

You register as a pilot, take pit space on a first come-first serve basis, and leave the shelter up for the remainder of the fly-in. What you leave behind overnight vs. take back to the hotel is up to you.

If someone else has had a different experiance at a fly-in, please chime in.

Rasterize

Mentor
Is the $25 per night or $40 for the weekend camping fee per person, per vehicle or per site?

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
What about sleeping in your car? Not a possibility for those with econo boxes, but my car is quite comfy and I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks that I could be spending at the event.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Okay question... It is going to take me a couple of days to get to Malvern Ohio from Kansas City. I plan on leaving Wednesday morning and should arrive late afternoon evening on Thursday. Is there a chance we can camp starting Thursday night? I can't find the info anywhere but it seems that I heard somewhere we can get there one day early...

I hope so!

bitogre

Okay question... It is going to take me a couple of days to get to Malvern Ohio from Kansas City. I plan on leaving Wednesday morning and should arrive late afternoon evening on Thursday. Is there a chance we can camp starting Thursday night? I can't find the info anywhere but it seems that I heard somewhere we can get there one day early...

I hope so!

The event does not officially start until Friday but they have said on the Podcast that people can start Camping Thursday night if they are paying to camp all weekend long. Also, the Flite Fest web site has a schedule that does list Thursday as a "Set Up" day with a "5:00pm Optional Volunteer Meeting."

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
The event does not officially start until Friday but they have said on the Podcast that people can start Camping Thursday night if they are paying to camp all weekend long. Also, the Flite Fest web site has a schedule that does list Thursday as a "Set Up" day with a "5:00pm Optional Volunteer Meeting."

I thought I had heard it somewhere but couldn't find it. I appreciate the help, thanks a bunch and cannot wait to meet everyone and maybe get some flying in as well!!!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, my plan is to arrive on Thursday as well and camp that night. You will be with friends:)

Fasted2629

Hey Guys glad to see we are all going to getting there on Thursday. We are Driving up from Kentucky and want to enjoy every minutes so Starting Thursday was a no brainer. What about charcoal Grilles? I have a small camp size one and planned to bring it for cooking dinner. I have not seen anything saying yes or no on that one. I also have a camp stove ill be bringing and a small generator for anything electric I might need :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Pretty sure the small charcoal grills were OKed. I would suggest you be meticulous about your ashes and that you do not scorch the grass. Remember, we are guests and do not want to mar up Fury field.