Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
For some flame-less, Bixler inspired light try
mountain dew.jpg
Find the instructions here.

Last edited:

Team_Monkey

Gents,
Turns out I won't be staying on site. Now that the family is coming they wanted more accommodations, access to swimming and other kid activities. This campground is about 20 minutes south of FTFF. When I called, the nice lady I spoke with said it was OK for me to check out late Sunday so I don't have to miss flying time. :)

Directions to FTFF from campground, or vice versa?

Last edited:

rossmort

Hi All - I don't know if anyone would have the answer for this, but just throwing it out. How does it work with the camping spots if you're a non-RV. Is there room for your car and then a spot for tent/etc.? My main curiosity is if it's possible to move your car out of the area once everyone is set up to run to the store or something like that. I've never been to any sort of organized flying event, and trying to figure out what I'll bring for food and if I've have the ability to replenish ice/pick up whatever I've forgotten to bring.

Thanks!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
In most of these events, they set up rows for people to setup camp, with aisles large enough you can drive out for supplies and stuff. in the early evening the traffic for errands picks up quite a bit.

Tents/RV's are usually elbow-to-elbow with cars on the aisle side, and double parking w/o permission is frowned on.

knightshots

In most of these events, they set up rows for people to setup camp, with aisles large enough you can drive out for supplies and stuff. in the early evening the traffic for errands picks up quite a bit.

Tents/RV's are usually elbow-to-elbow with cars on the aisle side, and double parking w/o permission is frowned on.

Does anyone know how late is to late for setting up camp at the event on Thursday? As of right now it looks like we wont arrive until 12am on Thursday. I hope they will let me pick up the rental a few hours early, but if not, will it be alright to set up camp late at night on Thursday? Or should I plan on getting a hotel outside of town?

Just trying to save a few bucks!

Splatwillicrash

Can't bring everything but willing to trade AC Power for loan of...EZ UP, Chairs etc.

Howdy gang,

This post is kinda wierd, but I am throwing it out there.

Since I will be flying in and renting an RV from Cruise America, I will not have the ability to bring all the normal stuff I would want or need. In fact I am kinda short on a lot of things I think. I was shocked to see how little they really have in the RV, like they have a folding picnic table but no folding chairs. They also do not have an awning, (though even if they did I probably could not use it unless I am on an end, or at one of the walkways, as I would not have room in 10' to extend it).

Well I cant fly with a EZ-UP and chairs, the excess baggage fee would be more than the cost of buying one. So I am looking for the loan of....

1. An Ez-UP or similar shade producing device 10x10 or so. For me to keep from baking on the flight line, when I am not volunteering. (I can leave you a deposit....)
2. A Good folding chair, (hate to be picky but I am looking for something like the photo below. (Unfortunately I cant sit in the ones that fold up into a long canvas tube, they cut off my circulation)...
folding chair wanted.jpg
These are great...
3. A 6' Folding Table for my EZ-UP area.
4. 100' AC Extension Cord. and maybe a power strip or two. To get power to other people needing the AC I can provide.
5.Propane Lantern, (Just the head and base, I can buy Propane, since I will be buying a cheap Propane Grill that I will need Propane for anyway).
I am sure a ton of other stuff but I am too tired to think right now.

What I can provide in return...
1. First and foremost, I do have a Generator on the RV (which they charge me by the hour for but I am gonna run it some anyway) so I have AC power for anybody who wants to run a serious charger, or a Soldering Iron, A Fleet of glue guns Charge their Walkie Talkies etc.
2. I will have LIMITED space in the Fridge for CRITICAL spoilage items, such as milk, meat/steaks or other perishables, and room to throw a couple/three half gallon milk containers full of water in the Freezer to keep you in block ice to help keep your Ice Chest cool. I will need to do this as well so this may get crowded.
3. A 3 Burner Gas Cooktop and Microwave, and a sink to do limited dishes. Obviously use of these will require you to clean up well after yourself, I ain't your Mom :)
4. I am bringing some decent tools and yes I am bringing God's Gift to Soldering, a Hako 951, a large assortment of shrink tube and a heat gun.
A decent Laptop, with a 3G connection with unlimited data plan.
5. I also have a couple of brand new Mobius cameras and accessories I might loan out for a few flights, to someone helping me out.....(bring a class 10 Micro SD card)
6. I may bring a 13" flatscreen for extra Viewing of FPV flights, (hey MR. FAA... I am LOS it is my Passenger that has the goggles on), so if you wanted to play back your Go-Pro on a larger screen.....

While I love and respect the FT community, we are also inviting the general public to this event so I might also think about offering Limited Secure Storage of some stuff in the RV (up over the drivers compartment). I am not taking any responsibility for stuff left in there, but it is probably better peace of mind then leaving it in (or outside) your tent. Also to that end, anything left in it after Sunday can be found on EBAY... Happy Bidding.... :p

I will be no doubt thinking of other things I can't live without, and will update this list so watch for edits.

At the same time there are things I will be buying when I get there, that I will not take home, and will either donate to the FT Crew for their next RV road trip or give to someone who helps me out. This will include the above mentioned BBQ and the cheapest Ice Chest I can find at Wally World, Probably some Kitchen Essentials, Bottled Water, (Cheap Beer?) Aluminum Foil, salt and pepper shakers etc. Probably a bunch of Dollar Tree Foam Gliders, ( I ordered them as give aways and will pick up in Canton on the way in) and who knows what else. I will get rid of much of this Sunday afternoon.

Anybody who can help out on any of these items?

Thanks in advance....
Matt Elyash

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Matt..... Myself and earthsciteach should be able to accommodate some of your requests. I do not know how many are going to be crashing in our easyup, it is HHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE according to teach, but if there is room I think we can squeeze you in. what are your plans for planes? are you building then leaving them with out electronics or are you going to try and sneak them home?

Splatwillicrash

Howdy CR,

Matt..... Myself and earthsciteach should be able to accommodate some of your requests. I do not know how many are going to be crashing in our easyup, it is HHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE according to teach, but if there is room I think we can squeeze you in. what are your plans for planes? are you building then leaving them with out electronics or are you going to try and sneak them home?

Wow, Crash that was a fast reply, Thanks for the offer. I would be happy to squeeze in wherever I can fit. To answer your question, I am flying in with a couple folding Tricopters, Maybe A DJI F450 and some FPV Gear, and the only Fixed wing I am arriving with is my UMX Radian, since It all has to fit in my One Checked and One Carry On bag. I was hoping to pick up some FPV Stuff from the guys at Immersion while I am there, so maybe I will build something big enough to carry an FPV rig but small enough to take apart and haul home. Nothing TOO Big on the fixed wing front. I am going to arrive with a Taranis and a handful of X8 RX and some telemetery modules, etc but had not thought about building a Foamie and leaving/donating it. Could do that maybe. Mostly bringing tools and such to cover repair issues I know will crop up after transport across the country.

Look forward to meeting you and earthsciteach!

Matt

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Of course it was fast.... its boring in the radio room at the fire house where I work. I've been up since 2:30am

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
We should set up next to each other or at least nearby. I have a 12x14 easy up to share. I'll be bringing an extra chair as well. I did look ahead for the weather in Malvern. Let's just hope it changes by the time it comes around.

Onebladeprop

I plan to be there thursday evening. But I decided against renting an RV, I bought one instead. I'm now the owner of a 1990 holiday rambler :) I have on generator on the RV(once I figure out how to start it) and I'm planning to bring a small 800w too. If anyone is lacking power I'll be happy to help. I didn't see anything about a generator policy but I got the impression that it's ok. But I am wondering if there's a cutoff time (10-11pm for example) or if we are just expecting everyone to be courteous. I've never been to anything like this so I'm not sure what to expect but I'm sure it will be fun.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
At most of these events, the courtesy is generally "during the day and on the backside of the ez-up line" but the rules are usually "not run between the hours of 1X:00pm and X:00am, unless necessary." (times are dependent on the crowd and time of year -- dusk comes late in July). Some people will need to run their gene's all night for health reasons, but that's pretty rare.

1 - Has any official word been given on available site space yet? 2 buddies and I are carpooling from St. Louis with a popup camper.
2 - No fires but the bonfire? What about cooking with charcoal? I need to know ASAP, as we were going to bring a couple of Dutch Ovens! Has Flite test posted any official rules or regulations for camping yet?

Thanks,
Tim

earthsciteach

Tim, I have the same questions. I think I'm going to be prepared either way. I'm brining a Coleman stove and a small charcoal grill. Would LOVE to be able to have an open fire, but would not want that on my property if I was the owner.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Ahhh - and the "clunky" begins.

Good questions. I too have questions regarding the generator and cooking. I have to sleep with a CPAP. So perhaps the RV's that need to have the generators run all night could be way off in the distance? Cooking needs to be answered pretty quickly too in my opinion. Next week is approaching FAST (queue captain obvious).

-David

bitogre

1 - Has any official word been given on available site space yet? 2 buddies and I are carpooling from St. Louis with a popup camper.
2 - No fires but the bonfire? What about cooking with charcoal? I need to know ASAP, as we were going to bring a couple of Dutch Ovens! Has Flite test posted any official rules or regulations for camping yet?

Thanks,
Tim

1) In the podcasts, they have indicated that if you want to be sure to have space reserved, you need to Pre-Register. They do not want to turn anyone away but they do not know how many people will be showing up and need pre-registrations to plan accordingly.

2) Here are some quotes from previous posts in this same thread that address camp fires.

* As for cooking food, I have been told that there will be no campfires allowed but there will be a "community fire". So bring food that would be suited for cooking over a "community fire" or prepare meals that require no heating. Not sure on camp stoves.

As for heat . . . Camp stoves were allowed, but so were raised fire pits . . . which may not be allowed at FTFF -- we know there's a big bondfire, but they haven't said raised pits are forbidden. IMO, pits and propane camp stoves are two different creatures, but still subject to the wishes of the field owners.

bitogre, I appreciate the response, but thats not "official" word. Its "have been told" and "they haven't said". We're almost a week away from the main. At this point, I want to see official printable words, from Flite Test/Flite Fest management that clearly says.. "Propane camp stoves = Ok, Charcoal = OK, Bonfire and S'mores at your own campsite = NOT OK." With it being so close, I have to know what to pack. And with two buddies and myself al riding together, we can't afford to waste space on anything because we might/probably be able to do it. We have to be SURE, so there's more room for RC stuff! Woot! LOL! :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've put the question to Austin. Hopefully they can hash it out and get us an answer back.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
bitogre, I appreciate the response, but thats not "official" word. Its "have been told" and "they haven't said". We're almost a week away from the main. At this point, I want to see official printable words, from Flite Test/Flite Fest management that clearly says.. "Propane camp stoves = Ok, Charcoal = OK, Bonfire and S'mores at your own campsite = NOT OK." With it being so close, I have to know what to pack. And with two buddies and myself al riding together, we can't afford to waste space on anything because we might/probably be able to do it. We have to be SURE, so there's more room for RC stuff! Woot! LOL! :)

While I'm not an official spokesman on such things (Although, if you have volunteer questions, I'm your man!) the park I work at doesn't allow ground fires, but we allow the raised self-contained fire pits, as long as they're used over the asphalt or concrete. You might look into that, and a few concrete patio blocks that could go under it. We might be able to get the Furey's to allow that.